Is OMT effective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading through an employee handbook for the local osteopathic hospital and ran across this statement:

OMT is often used to treat muscle pain. But it can also help patients with a number of other health problems, among them
Asthma
Sinus disorders
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Migraines
Menstrual Pain
Neonatal conditions
back pain

My personal opinion on this subject is that DO schools have a rich history but have over the years simply become 3rd tier medical schools.

As per claims above. I have tried to look for the Evidence based Medicine (EBM) for each of the above claims and have found unimpressive results. Does anybody have any EBM supporting the use of OMT?

Asthma-One of the few controlled trials using chiropractic techniques showed no benefit.
http://www.utdol.com/application/abstract.asp?TR=asthma/11611&viewAbs=81&title=81

Back pain- Meta-analysis shows no evidence that spinal manipulatin is superior to other standard treatments for low back pain. Spinal manipulation was superior to sham therapy and to therapies that have been judged to be ineffective or harmful, but had no advantage when compared with general practitioner care, analgesics, physical therapy, exercises, or back school. Results were similar for acute and chronic low back pain. (vid uptodate)

I am open to being convinced that OM is legit however I feel the burnden of proof is currently on the DO community.

Med99

Members don't see this ad.

med99 said:
I was just reading through an employee handbook for the local osteopathic hospital and ran across this statement:

OMT is often used to treat muscle pain. But it can also help patients with a number of other health problems, among them
Asthma
Sinus disorders
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Migraines
Menstrual Pain
Neonatal conditions
back pain

My personal opinion on this subject is that DO schools have a rich history but have over the years simply become 3rd tier medical schools.

As per claims above. I have tried to look for the Evidence based Medicine (EBM) for each of the above claims and have found unimpressive results. Does anybody have any EBM supporting the use of OMT?

Asthma-One of the few controlled trials using chiropractic techniques showed no benefit.
http://www.utdol.com/application/abstract.asp?TR=asthma/11611&viewAbs=81&title=81

Back pain- Meta-analysis shows no evidence that spinal manipulatin is superior to other standard treatments for low back pain. Spinal manipulation was superior to sham therapy and to therapies that have been judged to be ineffective or harmful, but had no advantage when compared with general practitioner care, analgesics, physical therapy, exercises, or back school. Results were similar for acute and chronic low back pain. (vid uptodate)

I am open to being convinced that OM is legit however I feel the burnden of proof is currently on the DO community.

Med99

Back school? What is analgesics?

Assuming the 3rd tier comment isn't bait :rolleyes: , I'll encourage you to review The Osteopathic Medicine Journal Club assembled by Dr. Russo. (See the top of this forum.)

By the time you have gotten through those articles and pertinent reviews, the search function may be enabled and you can answer all your burning queries with a few clicks.

Members don't see this ad :)
med99 said:

yup, that's why 1st and 2nd tier medical schools beg me for a copy of my pathology notes :laugh:

med99 said:

Med99

the theory behind how OMM improves conditions like Asthma and the other varying conditions is sound, and techniques like rib raising and optimizing the movement of ribs will undoubtedly improve function in an asthmatic, for every inch of chest excursion movement restored, 200 cc of air is brought in, and when you improve the movement of air, you help improve symptoms. There is also a theory that stimulation of the Sympathetic chain ganglion can be equalized and cauze b-stimulation to cause dialation of the airways. however, that being said, the literature on the subject is sadly lacking in significant research and in no way should OMM replace standard therapy.

Without a doubt, OMM helps with low back pain, again however, research shows that between manipulation, doing nothing, and muscle relaxants, there is little difference in the outcomes. There is a quicker achievement of relief from pain with pharmacy and manipulation, but the real kicker is manipulation has far few side effects when compared to pharmacy.

but if you're really interested in EBM, read the journal club above, or read yourself here. the JAOA is going to be about the only place to find research on OMM since the JAMA rarely publishes OMM related material and when they do (as when a prof at my school had an article about Otitis media and how OMM showed a statistical difference) was shunned and he methodology was questioned since it wasn't double-blind controled, which is next to impossible.

After exploring this website a bit more, I realize that this was hardly an original post and there has been much already written on this particular subject.
:cool:

One thing that is curious to me (and which has been once again covered in depth in the rest of the site) is why make such a distiction between DO and MD schools? That is to say, beyond the OMT there is little difference between the two.

Sure one could say that Osteopaths emphisize the whole person and alternative treatments, but in the end this is true for many MD schools also.

I just seems silly to me to have the redundant system of DO school and residency programs in place. As stated elsewhere on the site, I would advocate eventually just combining the two. Any reasons why not? While historically the two started from much different roots, the two are becoming more and more similar.

med99 said:
One thing that is curious to me (and which has been once again covered in depth in the rest of the site) is why make such a distiction between DO and MD schools? That is to say, beyond the OMT there is little difference between the two.

I would disagree, although I think many DO students would agree but those are the folks that dread OMM lecture and lab.

Follow link and read comments made by fuegorama and myself.
DO does not equal MD + OMT

med99 said:
I just seems silly to me to have the redundant system of DO school and residency programs in place. As stated elsewhere on the site, I would advocate eventually just combining the two. Any reasons why not? While historically the two started from much different roots, the two are becoming more and more similar.

Redundancy and competition is a byproduct of a market economy. The AMA has placed a cap on physician supply. The osteopathic profession emerged to fill the demand.

Perhaps your desire to just "merge" the two works well in fantasy, but here in the real world you'll need a stronger justification than just occupation redundancy.

Heck, lets merge Fedex, UPS and DHL. Surely the redundancy is an inconvenience. Choosing the appropriate shipping option with the most fitting price wastes precious seconds of my life.

While that is interesting and all, the differences are still in the end minor. One can say that an MD and a DO's differential would be much different but really they would be say perhaps 25 things for an MD (obviously depending on symptoms and how far you want to stretch) vs. maybe 27 for a DO. Ideally a MD's differential should include those 2 other possibilities also. In the end isn't it really just a matter of emphasis.

These 2 differentials, in my mind at least, don't constitute a whole other boards, residency, school system. What about just making DO schools allopathic with a twist. All schools do this to some extent. My school emphasizes rural medicine and outreach to the underserved. Some school emphasize research and EBM.

In the end, I think this should all fall to the wayside anyway. EBM is the future and EBM does no emphasize one ideal over another. I mean seriously, medicine is not a religion; it is a system designed to find the best possible treatments for our patient population in a cost effective manner. If EBM shows that OMT is the best for a particular set of issues, than by all mean, all physicians should be doing just that.

beastmaster said:
Redundancy and competition is a byproduct of a market economy. The AMA has placed a cap on physician supply. The osteopathic profession emerged to fill the demand.

Perhaps your desire to just "merge" the two works well in fantasy, but here in the real world you'll need a stronger justification than just occupation redundancy.

Heck, lets merge Fedex, UPS and DHL. Surely the redundancy is an inconvenience. Choosing the appropriate shipping option with the most fitting price wastes precious seconds of my life.

I love your Capitalism 101 take on the whole discussion. Very nice. I think you are absolutely correct; my desires or fantasies are not the real world. I am merely setting aside reality in order to facilitate discussion.

That being said, I don't believe that our medical system is as prey to the economic forces as you seem to suggest. The medical school system set in place in the US is Oligopolistic in nature and by no means is OM a strong enough market force to offset the market. One could however easily argue that FMG's are, but this is a different subject altogether

Med99, I struggle with the questions you raised in your original post every day.

med99 said:
I love your Capitalism 101 take on the whole discussion. Very nice. I think you are absolutely correct; my desires or fantasies are not the real world. I am merely setting aside reality in order to facilitate discussion.

That being said, I don't believe that our medical system is as prey to the economic forces as you seem to suggest. The medical school system set in place in the US is Oligopolistic in nature and by no means is OM a strong enough market force to offset the market. One could however easily argue that FMG's are, but this is a different subject altogether

First in response to your previous post. No one is religiously preaching in my school. Emphasis on research is very high and encouraged / talked about by every faculty. Both professions are evolving. In due time things will sort themselves out. DOs are saying very loudly that they want research dictating the future of the profession. If this drives MDs and DOs to a similar end-game then that's what will happen. Frankly the only ones preaching are the hateful relics who demand distinction or segregation or fusion or whatever it is.

In respond to this post, I'm not sure what these "market forces" are of which you speak. I'm familiar only with laws of economics which by definition do not have exceptions especially medicine. So I'm not giving you a "take" or spin. That's just how it is. Scour the research and you'll see that almost every author points this out as well without using explicit economic terms. I agree with you that FMGs are basically doing the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just clarify to one of my earlier posts. "I mean seriously, medicine is not a religion; it is a system designed to find the best possible treatments for our patient population in a cost effective manner."

I was not trying to imply that people in DO school are "religious" about OMT. I was simply pointing out the idea that unlike in religion where different religions have different Belief systems, medical practice should be practiced by evidence not beliefs. The above was not to say that i think DOs have beliefs that MDs dont have, but instead simply to add additional support to my arguement earlier that MDs and DOs should ideally be doing the same crap.

Not actually reading this, Hernandez, I just wanted to say awesome avatar. Is that Arseface (from "Preacher") in one of the pics?!

Hernandez said:
yup, that's why 1st and 2nd tier medical schools beg me for a copy of my pathology notes :laugh:

the theory behind how OMM improves conditions like Asthma and the other varying conditions is sound, and techniques like rib raising and optimizing the movement of ribs will undoubtedly improve function in an asthmatic, for every inch of chest excursion movement restored, 200 cc of air is brought in, and when you improve the movement of air, you help improve symptoms. There is also a theory that stimulation of the Sympathetic chain ganglion can be equalized and cauze b-stimulation to cause dialation of the airways. however, that being said, the literature on the subject is sadly lacking in significant research and in no way should OMM replace standard therapy.

Without a doubt, OMM helps with low back pain, again however, research shows that between manipulation, doing nothing, and muscle relaxants, there is little difference in the outcomes. There is a quicker achievement of relief from pain with pharmacy and manipulation, but the real kicker is manipulation has far few side effects when compared to pharmacy.

but if you're really interested in EBM, read the journal club above, or read yourself here. the JAOA is going to be about the only place to find research on OMM since the JAMA rarely publishes OMM related material and when they do (as when a prof at my school had an article about Otitis media and how OMM showed a statistical difference) was shunned and he methodology was questioned since it wasn't double-blind controled, which is next to impossible.

Ok, this time I read ur reply. It should actually be possible to double blind an OMM study such as the one u mentioned. It'll just be a huge pain in the ass. You just need the osteopathic doc to not be the researcher. Each OM case gets referred to the DO and after a computerized randomization assignment (the DO is aware of the result of the randomization, not the researcher) he does either a real targeted manipulation or a fake one, and neither the researcher nor the patient would be aware of the difference. Is this getting too complicated, you think? There needs to be some common method of double blinding an OMM study.

Hernandez said:

Rendar5 said:
Ok, this time I read ur reply. It should actually be possible to double blind an OMM study such as the one u mentioned. It'll just be a huge pain in the ass. You just need the osteopathic doc to not be the researcher. Each OM case gets referred to the DO and after a computerized randomization assignment (the DO is aware of the result of the randomization, not the researcher) he does either a real targeted manipulation or a fake one, and neither the researcher nor the patient would be aware of the difference. Is this getting too complicated, you think? There needs to be some common method of double blinding an OMM study.

the problem is then that the patient knows they are receiving some sort of treatment, and if that's the modality being studied, the control group needs to have a similar experience to help negate (well, more aptly, prevent amplification of) any placebo effect. There have been studies with "shame" OMT, but how do you go about doing shame OMT, and how do you guarantee that no benefits was given from the "shame" treatment? But then again, that could just be the wacky “healing hands” concept some like to espouse.

Hernandez said:
the problem is then that the patient knows they are receiving some sort of treatment, and if that's the modality being studied, the control group needs to have a similar experience to help negate (well, more aptly, prevent amplification of) any placebo effect. There have been studies with "shame" OMT, but how do you go about doing shame OMT, and how do you guarantee that no benefits was given from the "shame" treatment? But then again, that could just be the wacky “healing hands” concept some like to espouse.

Sham

NOT

Shame

Rendar5 said:

The problem with doubleblinding a study on OMM is that one cannot create a sugar pill equivalent of "fake manipulation."

Who cares if OMT is effective or not. That won't make a single bit of difference in the current medical environment.

I'm just happy to be learning "regular" medicine in addition to wonderful, effective, and highly sought-after treatment modalities that don't employ drugs or surgery.

The Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine published a study in 2003 that demonstrated the efficacy of OMT in children with otitis media (less surgery, less antibiotics, less everything). Imagine that!! OMT can reduce surgery (invasive and expensive) and reduce use of antibiotics (less chance of developing resistant bacterial strains) !!!!

How many allopathic physicians went "Holy Cow!! This is good stuff!! Where can I learn OMT to treat my patients with?!?!" The answer: Zero, zilch, nada, ninguno, nadie, nobody. And people still ask "Is OMT effective?"

Who cares whether OMT is proven effective or not with clinical studies? Bottom line: The MDs will continue doing their thing and the DOs will continue learning OMT in addition to conventional medicine. I'm actually OK with that. We know something they don't (wink, wink).

Shinken said:
Who cares if OMT is effective or not. That won't make a single bit of difference in the current medical environment.

I'm just happy to be learning "regular" medicine in addition to wonderful, effective, and highly sought-after treatment modalities that don't employ drugs or surgery.

The Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine published a study in 2003 that demonstrated the efficacy of OMT in children with otitis media (less surgery, less antibiotics, less everything). Imagine that!! OMT can reduce surgery (invasive and expensive) and reduce use of antibiotics (less chance of developing resistant bacterial strains) !!!!

How many allopathic physicians went "Holy Cow!! This is good stuff!! Where can I learn OMT to treat my patients with?!?!" The answer: Zero, zilch, nada, ninguno, nadie, nobody. And people still ask "Is OMT effective?"

Who cares whether OMT is proven effective or not with clinical studies? Bottom line: The MDs will continue doing their thing and the DOs will continue learning OMT in addition to conventional medicine. I'm actually OK with that. We know something they don't (wink, wink).
I'm a little confused, but if what you're saying is NO MD's want to learn omm, that's not completely correct. A couple of OMM profs from here at UNE went down Harvard and taught a weekend course in OMM to a bunch of the faculty. They were going to only teach it to a few people, but ended up having a big group of docs... why? b/c you can't tell department heads at Harvard they can't come to the conference.

Shinken said:

This is an incorrect statement. I know at least one that did. She is an MD pediatrician from Baylor College of Medicine. She learned OMM through OSU-COM and incorporates it into her practice. She is even an OMM instructor at our school.

jonb12997 said:
I'm a little confused, but if what you're saying is NO MD's want to learn omm, that's not completely correct. A couple of OMM profs from here at UNE went down Harvard and taught a weekend course in OMM to a bunch of the faculty. They were going to only teach it to a few people, but ended up having a big group of docs... why? b/c you can't tell department heads at Harvard they can't come to the conference.

I was recently at a cyclocross race and talking with the state criterium champion who happens to be a PM&R doc who received his training at UM in Ann Arbor. note that he is an MD.

I was talking to him and he said that OMM has repeatedly been upheld in the literature for back pain and that he wished that he had some of the skills that DOs possess. He also said that it was unfortunate that so many DOs give up on practicing their skills during their internships.

The name of this doctor is Steve Andriese and he practices PM&R at Mary Free Bed Hospital in Grand Rapids Michigan.

I tell you what I would get sick of having to stab needles into people with botox all day long. I would hate to see people get dependent on this type of intervention. I would rather use non pharma, non invasive techniques to aleviate their pain.

judgehopkins said:
He also said that it was unfortunate that so many DOs give up on practicing their skills during their internships.

It is indeed very sad. However, my guess is that the demands of internship are so great and OMM is so difficult to properly master that interns choose to neglect OMM.

Add to that the fact that -sadly- many osteopathic residency programs don't actually stress OMM in their curricula and you have the current result: Many DO graduates that don't use OMM in their practice.

Hopefully I won't be one of them...we'll see. ;)

Shinken said:
It is indeed very sad. However, my guess is that the demands of internship are so great and OMM is so difficult to properly master that interns choose to neglect OMM.

Add to that the fact that -sadly- many osteopathic residency programs don't actually stress OMM in their curricula and you have the current result: Many DO graduates that don't use OMM in their practice.

And I too the same.

judgehopkins said:
And I too the same.
I went to a sports med doc the other day and was shocked at the similarities between the things he told me to do and the things I'm learning in OMM class.

allendo,

What were some of the differences?

OSUdoc08 said:
Is this supposed to be a joke? Do you really mean to use "shame" as an adjective to describe OMT?

Or are you making a feeble attempt to use the word "sham"?

Congratulations, you win this month's award for "Most Batsh1t Aggressive Response to a Simple Spelling Error."

OSUdoc08 said:
Is this supposed to be a joke? Do you really mean to use "shame" as an adjective to describe OMT?

Or are you making a feeble attempt to use the word "sham"?

:laugh: whoopity-doo..........

Shinken said:

Amen.

med99 said:
While that is interesting and all, the differences are still in the end minor. One can say that an MD and a DO's differential would be much different but really they would be say perhaps 25 things for an MD (obviously depending on symptoms and how far you want to stretch) vs. maybe 27 for a DO. Ideally a MD's differential should include those 2 other possibilities also. In the end isn't it really just a matter of emphasis.

These 2 differentials, in my mind at least, don't constitute a whole other boards, residency, school system. What about just making DO schools allopathic with a twist. All schools do this to some extent. My school emphasizes rural medicine and outreach to the underserved. Some school emphasize research and EBM.

What you miss with EBM is the art of medicine. Physicians that live ONLY by EBM will become technicians- treating symptoms based on what the statistics show. While such an approach may temporarily help a good many patients some of the time, such an approach fails to see the unique challenges of the individual, nor does it allow for artistic innovation when a particular med's side effect may be advantageous for that patient, for example- or it is used skillfully off-label or to treat multiple issues. A good osteopath does not have a larger differential diagnosis than a good MD. Instead, they use additional tools and knowledge (and a careful history) to reason back to the source of symptoms. An great MD once told me... "you know.. thats a good idea. It would be nice to figure everything out. We just dont have time to think that way though, and we can help patients with what they come in for." That is a valid statement, but it showcases the difference in philosophy.

For example, instead of just treating a pneumonia with the EBM IV antibiotic and discharging the patient, an osteopath uses the antibiotics- but also mechanical tx for the thoracic lymphatics, checks the thoracic anatomy for assymetry or signs of autonomic disturbance to the lungs (characteristic upper thoracic tissue texture changes), checks the cervical spine for phrenic nerve impingement, and corrects what they find- and according to one poor small pilot study in the JAOA this reduces the time of hospital stays by 2 days on average- better studies currently in progress :(
You then ask yourself what has lowered the patient's immune response enough to allow the invaders to win for so long? ...what stressors are in the patients life? does the patient exercise? smoke? underlying depression? what about diet? poor mechanical ventilation due to rib cage dysfunction? could their diabetes be better controlled? You can bet with such a comprehensive approach thier chances of a relapse go way down. Sure a great MD could ask all these questions and maybe call in an OMM specialist consult on every pneumonia patient, but osteopaths are trained to reason this way for every patient- and we have the tools and knowledge to easily see the connections.

Remember, in both cases pneumonia is the working diagnosis, its not like osteopaths have more diagnoses to choose from (just perhaps more ways to understand the same diagnoses).

another example: a patient has chronic pain and signs of depression. He/She is somewhat overweight, and they complain that they can't excercise due to pain. sound familiar?

The allopathic approach would be to send to PT for long weeks of painful stretches (maybe slow improvment, maybe not) or go to the pain clinic for lumbar cortisone injections or nerve ablation (sometimes effective, sometimes very painful- and always many thousands of dollars in cost with high co-pay). They prescribe percocet or oxycodone to numb the patient up, stop their bowels and give them addiction issues- and then have them pop an SSRI for the rest of their life. If you have worked with these patients, you know the long term prognosis is usually not to good with this approach, and how frustrated most MD's get with these people.

As an osteopath by simple palpation you know if there is a deep muscle in spasm that is stopping them from exercising (usually psoas, pirformis or deep intervertebral)- and if so, with counterstrain you are able to correct it permanently right there on the spot in a few seconds- and you can then spend the rest of your visit educating the patient about exercise possibilities and how important exercise is to help their depression (shown to be as efficacious as SSRI's in outcome studies- but can be used in addition to SSRI's for maximal effect). After artful persuasion, you use SSRI's along with a regular moderate exercise program that is suited to the patients interests and capabilities. The patient on follow up reports that they can exercise daily since their pain has lifted and their depression has lifted significantly as well, and they have lost weight as a side effect (which in turn further helps build confidence and stablilize mood). Usually they are functional enough in a short period of time that if they continue their exercise- they can get off disability and resume their careers (or enjoy retirement). In about 6 months they often no longer need their depression meds to stay stable, and they are relatively healthy and independent.

sound overly optimistic? I've seen MANY of the above patients many times over- for each of the 4 above cases (pneumonia and chronic pain examples for both allopathic and osteopathic care). I have seen them all on extended follow up as well. This happens all the time.

Dont get me wrong, osteopathy is not a cure-all. If the back-painer's pain was due to a compression fracture or severe spinal stenosis one's osteopathic advantage is limited. Conventional medicine offers most of our best options in these cases- however, osteopathic thought may still help you manage post surgical rehab for them, or maximize function for them even in light of constant unremitting pain.

As the OP stated, there are stilll DO's that practice the allopathic approach listed above, copying their MD (or DO) mentors that practice this way- but in good DO schools you will get enough of an education in osteopathic thinking that the osteopathic approach will feel like the natural one. When you see the majority of docs practicing the other way out there in hospitals you can get in there early and help their patients out (or at the very least remind yourself in the back of your mind about your other options for when you're on your own).

Since osteopathy is a philosophy and a way of practicing medicine rather than a mere treatment modality, it doesnt lend itself well to double blind studies. Perhaps all MD's should learn to work the way we do- it is very attractive in pain management and rehabilitation medicine to have these skills (and any primary care field as well). Then again, its a lot of work to practice this way. You cant see as many patients (even if you make more per hour since you can bill for OMM in addition to the consult). plus most patients dont know what a DO is, so if you have ego issues thats a rub. It aint always an easy road, but sometimes its worth it. And yes, the road is VERY different, even if many DO's choose not to take it.

it has been a long slow call night lol... hope i'm not getting too incoherent :eek:

be well,
michael