Is oncology a 'sexy' specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PleaseAllowMe

Reaction score
Some friends and I were discussing which specialty would be considered the 'sexiest' to prospective (female) mates. It was just a fun thought exercise, we have absolutely zero intention of using this to guide our decision-making.

We were throwing around some 'classic' ones like neurosurg, plastic surgery, ER. I mentioned that I thought oncology was, because you're looked at as a smart, sensitive hero as you are dealing with cancer patients, and there isn't the ambiguity of what you're doing that might hurt some specialties with the layperson. My friends disagreed, thinking that it's too morbid to be considered sexy. I can see that point, but still maintained my side.

Just curious as to people's thoughts? Again, merely a thought experiment. Not being used to guide any decisions on my end

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
:rolleyes:

Exhibit A: The Value of (Potentially Multiple) Gap Years

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
all docs are sexy. don't matter which kind in my opinion

• Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
nothing sexier than getting slowly eaten alive by a combination of your own cells and a poisonous treatment.

edit: although the answer is probably peds based off the shows ER and New Girl

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Sexiness of specialties in descending order:
1617840835536.png

- The correlation with average salary is purely coincidental.
- Neurosurgery's average salary is >$600k, placing them at the very top of this list. I'm not sure why neurosurgery is not represented here, perhaps out of respect for the lower-paid plebeians.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 36 users
(This is not directed at you OP)

I feel like the people who are genuinely concerned about the "sexiness" of their specialty are not the kind of people who would be considered sexy in the first place lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
View attachment 334318

- Neurosurgery's average salary is >$600k, placing them at the very top of this list. I'm not sure why neurosurgery is not represented here, perhaps out of respect for the lower-paid plebeians.
Just realized the specialties I'm interested in are at the bottom of the sexiness scale.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
View attachment 334318

I have heard that neurosurgeons do not report their salaries to medscape lol. I wonder why...? :unsure:

Agree too morbid. Not that many people want to contemplate the possibility of a slow, painful death on a first date. I'm a queer woman so you get both the perspective of someone who pursues women (well before I got engaged to one) and is a woman. Peds is the sexiest to me because I like when people are good with kids. Surgical specialties are less sexy to me because I associate them with being less humanistic, more materialistic. Those are just my own stereotypes though. I've worked with amazing surgeons and know that's far from being true.

Some friends and I were discussing which specialty would be considered the 'sexiest' to prospective (female) mates. It was just a fun thought exercise, we have absolutely zero intention of using this to guide our decision-making.

We were throwing around some 'classic' ones like neurosurg, plastic surgery, ER. I mentioned that I thought oncology was, because you're looked at as a smart, sensitive hero as you are dealing with cancer patients, and there isn't the ambiguity of what you're doing that might hurt some specialties with the layperson. My friends disagreed, thinking that it's too morbid to be considered sexy. I can see that point, but still maintained my side.

Just curious as to people's thoughts? Again, merely a thought experiment. Not being used to guide any decisions on my end
Specialty won't help you when you blink too much.
(NOTE: check out OP's post history).

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Become a board certified diagnostician with a double specialty in infectious disease and nephrology. Also you might need a cane for extra sexiness.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Your friends should spend some time with neurosurgeons, plastic surgeons, and ER docs. After a few spine fractures, burn victims, and committed drug seekers they may change their concept of sexiness.

• Haha
  • Love
Is oncology a "sexy" specialty ?

Having worked as an oncologist for more than 15 years, in academic centers and private practice and have enjoyed it, and most certainly would do it again. Had a tough choice deciding between cardiology and hematology/oncology when I started. I dont know that I can call oncology a "sexy" specialty.

It has a lot of challenges with patient deaths and suffering both the physical toll on the body from the cancer and some of the harsh treatments, and the emotional turmoil for both the patients and the physician, beyond the comprehension for most other specialties. This is certainly challenging and requires a compassionate mindset, and the burnout rate can be high, since we all get attached to our patients.

The growth in research and treatment options, especially immunotherapy (PD1/PDL1 inhibitors in solid tumor and CART in liquid cancers) has made tremendous headway, and we are now able to offer curative treatment in some advanced metastatic disease. If the research continues to fruition in this fashion, we may very well be at the "moonshot against cancer" as envisioned by one of our presidents.

The specialties which would be regarded as "sexy" by most physicians probably would be plastic surgery, dermatology, opthalmology and neurosurgery.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My sexy vote is for diabetes and endocrinology. As long as you have all your toes, your patients will think you're the next McDreamy.

View attachment 334318

but consider
1618179962790.png

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
View attachment 334318

physician salaries are going to be going down drastically anyway, arent they? especially in the next 15 years with more universalized healthcare models being implemented to address inequalities in medicine. then all of this becomes a game of social image and stereotypes.