Is online counseling considered volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guac&Chips

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been a volunteer counselor on the website 7cups.com. Can/should I use this experience in my medical school application?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it depends. Do you receive any training, supervision, or feedback on your counseling there? What differentiates it from counseling friends going through a hard time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Lizzy, thanks for your reply. I also volunteer online and wonder how to use that experience for application, or should I at all.

I would love some in personal counseling experience. I need this mostly to assess if counseling is the job I enjoy doing and excel in. This is more important than applying for a graduate program. The reason being, I'm in my late 40s, and counseling would be a career change for me. I don't want to jump in without test driving it a little bit.

But what I learned was, you have to be either a counseling student, or a licensed counselor to volunteer at one of those mental health centers. Without those, they won't take you.

I would really appreciate it if someone could share experience landing volunteer gigs w/o being in a counseling program or a licensed counselor.

Hi Lizzy, thanks for your reply. I also volunteer online and wonder how to use that experience for application, or should I at all.

I would love some in personal counseling experience. I need this mostly to assess if counseling is the job I enjoy doing and excel in. This is more important than applying for a graduate program. The reason being, I'm in my late 40s, and counseling would be a career change for me. I don't want to jump in without test driving it a little bit.

But what I learned was, you have to be either a counseling student, or a licensed counselor to volunteer at one of those mental health centers. Without those, they won't take you.

I would really appreciate it if someone could share experience landing volunteer gigs w/o being in a counseling program or a licensed counselor.

Try Planned Parenthood or LGBT service centers. I've seen applications from people who have volunteered in those settings and provided counseling services around HIV testing and contraceptive options.

Reactions: 1 user