This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IS OPTOMETRIST A DEAD PROFESSION

• NO ITS GROWING

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • YES NO JOBS

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Crystal1234

Reaction score
My name is sonali. I am thinking about optometrist as a career. I recently gave OAT exam and my score is 320 and my gpa is 3.6. i have applied at Oklahoma, Michigan, california and north Carolina. I wanted to know that how is optometrist as a career because while doing my research I came across a lot of negative student forums in which people said slot of negative things about this profession. Slot of them complained that there are so many optometrist and not enough of jobs for them and must work part time because they can’t find any stable jobs or must int work 2 days. It also complained about how how online eye exam website are ruining optometrist because people can now take their exams online and get prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. There is also so many online stores that sell glasses and lenses online and it’s has affected optometrist practices and their business. I did my medical school from india and i moved to USA but i couldn't find medical reciedencey so then i started working with an ophthalmologist as an assistant for the past 6 year and i have interest in this field as i can be a MD/OD but there is so much negativity on the internet please help me.

Members don't see this ad.

Alot of them complained that there are so many optometrists and not enough of jobs for them and must work part time because they can’t find any stable jobs or must int work 2 days.

Depends where you work. You still make way more than the most certified ophthalmic personnel (COA, COT, COMT). Some areas, like NYC where I live, are pretty saturated with ODs....... but we have many Ophthalmologists too, so it makes sense. Remember, most private ophthalmology practices spend a lot of time and money seeking out relationships with local ODs for referals. ODs are still the primary referral source for the ophthalmic subspecialties (expectations could be Ref.Surg and Gen.Oph > they still get people off the street). In many ways, you are the primary care provider for eyes as an OD.

It also complained about how how online eye exam website are ruining optometrist because people can now take their exams online and get prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses. There is also so many online stores that sell glasses and lenses online and it’s has affected optometrist practices and their business.

You still need a license number, and usually confirmation fax from the optometrist to get those filled. Regarding business, and optical, maybe the traditional optometrist model has been hit. But there is always room for "medical" optometrist. who can manage glaucoma, do refractive surgical workups, follow post-ops, etc[/QUOTE]

I did my medical school from india and i moved to USA but i couldn't find medical reciedencey so then i started working with an ophthalmologist as an assistant for the past 6 year and i have interest in this field as i can be a MD/OD but there is so much negativity on the internet please help me.

So you know the ophthalmology game. I don't think being an MD/OD is worth much "together" apart from research credentials. If you get your OD license, then that's what you would do in eyecare, as the foreign MD wouldn't mean much in the ophthalmology sphere without a residency completion. Look into being an RN if you want to do surgical stuff. Look for a masters degree for research-oriented careers in Vision Science.

Last edited:
optometry is a great profession. don look into what others are saying because the profession constantly adapts to the changes in tech etc. but it is a great profession, it is being geared toward more medical base optometry which is great for job outcomes. there are more positions in departments of ophthalmology. so OMD are seeing the importance of this

Members don't see this ad :)
Largely depends on where you want to work. Definitely some areas are oversaturated and it is hard to find work, typically big cities.
If you don’t mind living somewhere more rural it should be okay.

The state you intend to practice in will also determine how much you are allowed to do as an OD.

it is being geared toward more medical base optometry which is great for job outcomes.
can someone with knowledge about this elaborate on the medical basis that Optometry is evolving towards?

can someone with knowledge about this elaborate on the medical basis that Optometry is evolving towards?

Optometry used to be just refraction. With legislation, optometry was given permission to use therapeutic drops for dilation, and now we can treat glaucoma with drops as well. These are all relatively new advances. In some states optometrists can perform minor laser procedures or injections. All of these scope expansions slowly push optometry into a position that allows optometrists to be primary eye care providers rather than just refractionists.

However, I believe your ability to practice to the full extent of the law is highly dependent on where you intend to practice. If you work in a mall chain, you probably aren’t treating glaucoma with laser.

Reactions: 1 user