Is psyciatry becoming more competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

damnedindenial

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've wanted to be in this field sense a young age mainly because of the treatment and care that my psychiatrists have given me for my various problems mainly my horrible anxiety. However after reading and looking up some recent stuff I see that this could be the case I just left the military my gi bill does not start untill september. So I have 5 years to watch it while I am getting my bachelor's should I be to worryed? I really really want to be a psyciatrist im even trying to prepare to be a np if I dont get accepted to medical school to do the work I really want to do. Id just prefer the nicer lifestyle I may have as a psyc vs a np. I would be greatful to hear your thoughts.
 
Yes and No.

Yes, because there's more interest and generally IMGs/FMGs are being pushed, especially in desirable areas. So if Psych in Boston is your hope, you better be hitting well on the usmle.

No, because it's still the most uncompetitive specialty of medicine aside from FM. It's not a good match for over 90% of a general medical class size and most ppl's interests probably disappear after their psych rotation.
 
Yes and No.

Yes, because there's more interest and generally IMGs/FMGs are being pushed, especially in desirable areas. So if Psych in Boston is your hope, you better be hitting well on the usmle.

No, because it's still the most uncompetitive specialty of medicine aside from FM. It's not a good match for over 90% of a general medical class size and most ppl's interests probably disappear after their psych rotation.
Thanks this helps ease alot of my anxiaty about this. No I dont want to be anywere close to a big city like boston haha im from minnesota I would like to stay very rural and be in the areas beople dont like to go and that are very underserved. I just didnt want to get to the point were I entered medical school and I wasnt good enough for it anymore. I most deffinatly believe I can get there but I just cant see my self being competitive enough for things like derm. Not that I really care about getting into that anyways. Id just rather keep my chances at the most optimal for me to become what I wish to be. I appreciate your feedback!!! You are awesome!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there,

I am one of the current residents at the UHawaii psychiatry program and can comment a bit on this being somewhat involved in the admissions process.

In general, all fields are becoming more competitive due to sheer numbers of applicants from all avenues (American and Foreign/International). Like Celty says, location can also make a huge difference in terms of competition. Hawaii can be seen both ways: some view it as a great location for a new experience and adventure while others are unable to move out here due to family constraints, costs, etc. The key points are to be as competitive and sincere about psychiatry and your professional development as possible and the opportunities will emerge. If you have more questions about psychiatry in Hawaii, please feel free to PM me.
 
Yes and No.

Yes, because there's more interest and generally IMGs/FMGs are being pushed, especially in desirable areas. So if Psych in Boston is your hope, you better be hitting well on the usmle.

No, because it's still the most uncompetitive specialty of medicine aside from FM. It's not a good match for over 90% of a general medical class size and most ppl's interests probably disappear after their psych rotation.
Did you look at the last 'charting the outcomes'? US students just need a pulse to match into radiology, pathology and even gas...
 
Did you look at the last 'charting the outcomes'? US students just need a pulse to match into radiology, pathology and even gas...
Osteopathic seniors are not counted among US seniors.
 
Did you look at the last 'charting the outcomes'? US students just need a pulse to match into radiology, pathology and even gas...
I thought the avg for rad is still like 240, which is pretty dam good if you're a DO student 0.0
 
I thought the avg for rad is still like 240, which is pretty dam good if you're a DO student 0.0
Except only 8 US MD students didn't match rads. Look at the breakdown of match rate by Step score on charting outcomes- US MDs are pretty much guaranteed a spot regardless of Step score. Even DOs matched extremely well regardless of COMLEX, all things considered.
 
Incorrect. To get into ANY rads spot is extremely easy. It has a wide spectrum, just like IM. US students who barely pass step 1 and or have steps >1 SD below the mean still have a 88%, and 92% chance, respectively, of getting a rads residency (looking solely at step 1). Rads at the top is very competitive, just like pretty much every other field: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf

Further, only 2 DOs with comlex's between 500 and 600 didn't match out of 37 who tried (again, looking just at step 1): http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf. Even more so, the match rate for DO applicants was among the highest (maybe even highest? too lazy too look) of any field. 91/99 matched.

Combine the above with the fact that rads, like gas, doesn't place a ton of emphasis on research and that basically means your steps/ class rank/ ability to not be a douche/ be a team player pretty much round out your app in this speciality. I mean it's a great field, but to get into any spot is not competitive at all.

What does gas stand for? Gastroenterology?
 
Incorrect. To get into ANY rads spot is extremely easy. It has a wide spectrum, just like IM. US students who barely pass step 1 and or have steps >1 SD below the mean still have a 88%, and 92% chance, respectively, of getting a rads residency (looking solely at step 1). Rads at the top is very competitive, just like pretty much every other field: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf

Further, only 2 DOs with comlex's between 500 and 600 didn't match out of 37 who tried (again, looking just at step 1): http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf. Even more so, the match rate for DO applicants was among the highest (maybe even highest? too lazy to look) of any field. 91/99 matched.

Combine the above with the fact that rads, like gas, doesn't place a ton of emphasis on research and that basically means your steps/ class rank/ ability to not be a douche/ be a team player pretty much round out your app in this speciality. I mean it's a great field, but to get into any spot is not competitive at all.

EDIT: can't spell.
Thanks for the info. Sometimes I wonder why rad went from the ROAD specialty to "anyone can come"...I mean I get gas being affected by the CRNA, I really don't get why rad is going down this trend as well
 
N=1 for the original question

The 4th years we ranked to match this year ranged from no USMLE and Comlex scores in the 500s (auditioners) to USMLE's in the 240s-260s and Comlex scores in the 700s. Will they all come to my program? Who the hell knows.
 
The other thing about psychiatry is if you express genuine interest in the field and can really connect interpersonally with others the numbers (to a point) can be overlooked.
 
The other thing about psychiatry is if you express genuine interest in the field and can really connect interpersonally with others the numbers (to a point) can be overlooked.

So on the topic, how necessary is USMLE for Psych programs in the South, Midatlantic, and North Eastern areas outside of the big cities?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
N=1 for the original question

The 4th years we ranked to match this year ranged from no USMLE and Comlex scores in the 500s (auditioners) to USMLE's in the 240s-260s and Comlex scores in the 700s. Will they all come to my program? Who the hell knows.
So some in the middle who didn't audition, I take it?
 
The other thing about psychiatry is if you express genuine interest in the field and can really connect interpersonally with others the numbers (to a point) can be overlooked.

Also does regional bias play a big role?!!!! Esp. for a DO student who leaves CA for med school and would want to get a Psych residency in CA?