Is Rad Onc Going down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure if SDN is entirely honest about the job market given the forum's love for doomsday predictions and happy residents/attendings are too busy enjoying work and life to waste time on SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Totally agree that SDN can be polarizing and go to extremes, but I don’t think residents and academic attendings are the best people to talk to about the job market. Academic pathologists have been out of the loop in the path job market for years and are still saying it’s good.
Yes, talk to PP folks as well. But the main thing is to talk to people who just went through the process (i.e., young attendings either in academics or PP) because they can tell you how it went.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
EM is trying it's hardest to be just like RadOnc. We're currently in the midst of our burning free for all straight into the ground. I'm sure Radonc residents and attendings tried to warn people before and it was ignored like people are ignoring it in EM currently.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure if SDN is entirely honest about the job market given the forum's love for doomsday predictions and happy residents/attendings are too busy enjoying work and life to waste time on SDN
You mean the group of folks that predicted the match 2 years ago well before it happened, while ASTRO was caught blindsided?

Senior (PGY-5) RadOnc resident here, found this thread through the new "Similar Threads" feature on SDN.

The posts from my colleagues here are spot-on, so I won't be a broken record, other than to say - if you're interested in the field, but can see yourself doing anything else, you should do something else. The only people who should be entering this field in 2020 and beyond are the ones who feel like it's seared into their soul that they need to be a Radiation Oncologist and they're willing to pursue that path at the cost of everything else.

As someone currently in the "getting a job" phase of this career, here is the analogy I use from my personal experience, because I think it helps people understand better:

1) Most people find getting into medical school in the first place a difficult experience (the "pre-med" forums of SDN are huge for a reason). I'm a first-generation college student, who went to an unknown undergrad which produces virtually no medical students. From this background, I was accepted to multiple MD-PhD programs across the country. I found this to be easier than getting a job in Radiation Oncology in 2020.

2) RadOnc used to be one of the most competitive specialties in medicine. I applied and matched during the 2015-2016 cycle, when virtually everyone was AOA with 250+ Step 1 scores and multiple publications. I went on over a dozen interviews and matched at my #1. I found this to be easier than getting a job in Radiation Oncology in 2020.

Obviously, I recognize that COVID put a damper on things this year, but my experience is not unique. One of my colleagues who graduated residency in the past two years told me they essentially cold-called every academic institution on their home coast and in every major city in America, which resulted (to my recollection) in 2-3 interviews. This person was an amazing resident, and ultimately was hired at the place they wanted to be...but that return on investment was low.

Anyway, I'm on SDN all the time, so please - if anyone wants to talk more, my DMs are open.

Reactions: 14 users
Senior (PGY-5) RadOnc resident here, found this thread through the new "Similar Threads" feature on SDN.

The posts from my colleagues here are spot-on, so I won't be a broken record, other than to say - if you're interested in the field, but can see yourself doing anything else, you should do something else. The only people who should be entering this field in 2020 and beyond are the ones who feel like it's seared into their soul that they need to be a Radiation Oncologist and they're willing to pursue that path at the cost of everything else.

As someone currently in the "getting a job" phase of this career, here is the analogy I use from my personal experience, because I think it helps people understand better:

1) Most people find getting into medical school in the first place a difficult experience (the "pre-med" forums of SDN are huge for a reason). I'm a first-generation college student, who went to an unknown undergrad which produces virtually no medical students. From this background, I was accepted to multiple MD-PhD programs across the country. I found this to be easier than getting a job in Radiation Oncology in 2020.

2) RadOnc used to be one of the most competitive specialties in medicine. I applied and matched during the 2015-2016 cycle, when virtually everyone was AOA with 250+ Step 1 scores and multiple publications. I went on over a dozen interviews and matched at my #1. I found this to be easier than getting a job in Radiation Oncology in 2020.

Obviously, I recognize that COVID put a damper on things this year, but my experience is not unique. One of my colleagues who graduated residency in the past two years told me they essentially cold-called every academic institution on their home coast and in every major city in America, which resulted (to my recollection) in 2-3 interviews. This person was an amazing resident, and ultimately was hired at the place they wanted to be...but that return on investment was low.

Anyway, I'm on SDN all the time, so please - if anyone wants to talk more, my DMs are open.
1606712291291.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
RadOnc is going down, down...
In an earlier round, some might say.
Sugar, RadOnc is going down swingin.

If it’s your #1 choice, just bite the bullet.
Load up your God complex, caulk it, and pull it.

RadOnc is going down, down...
In an earlier round, some might say.
Sugar, RadOnc is going down swingin.

If it’s your #1 choice, just bite the bullet.
Load up your God complex, caulk it, and pull it.

lol those are not quite the lyrics (the ones from the actual song I mean).

FA8EECA7-A82C-41CE-8F49-C567EE3775EE.jpeg

• Haha

• Hmm