Is rads a no go if you're not fond of physics but you like everything else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
By "everything else", I mean the day to day of radiology itself, anatomy, pathology, etc. For those that don't like physics but enjoy everything else, did you find it manageable or even enjoyable in the context of radiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Plenty of the rads residents I've worked with groan when you mention physics to them. It's an important part of understanding what goes into getting the images/artifacts we do. Granted I have yet to sit through nearly as many lecture as I will in the coming years but I tend to find it more it more interesting in the context of medicine than in the vacuum of something like a pure physics course.

That is to say: no, enjoyment of physics is not requisite for going into radiology. You don't 'use' physics on a daily basis explicitly but a thorough background can help in interpreting the images you see.

Reactions: 1 user
That's great to hear. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be fine. The physics part in practice is manageable and in fact very enjoyable in the case of MRI. It is not really physics in a way that you think. In practice, it is something practical. You will learn a few rules and apply them.

That's encouraging. Thank you. For someone that enjoys pathology, what would cause them to pick radiology over pathology?