Is research important for non-trad

Started by DO_or_Die
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DO_or_Die

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I have a BSN and have been an RN for 2.5+ years. I am planning to take the MCAT next summer, but for this summer was accepted to a SURF (summer undergraduate research fellowship) at one of the local med schools to do a research project and present a poster at the end of the summer at Harvard. However, I was going to take ochem this summer, ochem II in the fall and then biochem right before the MCAT. Instead I'll wind up taking elementary biochem just so that I will have some exposure before the MCAT. Would you do the research fellowship, or take orgo I over the summer and why? Thank you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current M1 here. It can limit you at the top schools if you have no research. If you have no interest in top schools then it shouldn’t make too much of a difference. However, speaking as a nontrad who had no research experience, I do wish I had some from the viewpoint that I wouldn’t feel so “behind” my fellow classmates. Sure, I have some research lined up now but the extent of my research skills is nil while my classmates seem to know the process much better.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
There are many threads in pre-allo that discuss how the importance of research is overstated on SDN. At schools outside of the top and at the research heavy schools (and those two groups greatly overlap), research is not necessary. I think it’s a good idea to at least experience it, since physicians are essentially applied scientists. Plus, you may really like it.
 
There are many threads in pre-allo that discuss how the importance of research is overstated on SDN. At schools outside of the top and at the research heavy schools (and those two groups greatly overlap), research is not necessary. I think it’s a good idea to at least experience it, since physicians are essentially applied scientists. Plus, you may really like it.
I'm only really applying to lower tier schools, do you think it's excessive then since I'm not really applying to research heavy schools?
 
Current M1 here. It can limit you at the top schools if you have no research. If you have no interest in top schools then it shouldn’t make too much of a difference. However, speaking as a nontrad who had no research experience, I do wish I had some from the viewpoint that I wouldn’t feel so “behind” my fellow classmates. Sure, I have some research lined up now but the extent of my research skills is nil while my classmates seem to know the process much better.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had a mid-range (25-50) hammer lack of research. I think it matters at some schools, mostly it didn't even come up.

The subjective side of the application is...extremely subjective.