Is sending multiple "in the area" emails to the same school a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I receive an II now and send an ITA email to a nearby school but they don't give me an II in time, would it be inappropriate to send the school another ITA notice later on in the cycle if I receive another II in the same area?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you send an “ITA” email before even receiving an II. I don’t get the logic

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you send an “ITA” email before even receiving an II. I don’t get the logic
That's....not what I meant. I did receive an II and am planning to send an ITA email for that week. I'm saying if none of the schools I sent the email to were able to give me an II before that week, in the future, if I were to receive another II in the same area, would it reflect poorly if I sent another ITA at that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's....not what I meant. I did receive an II and am planning to send an ITA email for that week. I'm saying if none of the schools I sent the email to were able to give me an II before that week, in the future, if I were to receive another II in the same area, would it reflect poorly if I sent another ITA at that point.

My gathering is you’ve received an II to school A. You want to know if you should send an “ITA email” to school B for school A’s week. But it doesn’t seem you’ve received an II from school B yet.. so then if school C sends you an II, can you send school B another ITA despite still not receiving an II.

Doesn’t make sense to me. This is the sort of convoluted premed neuroticism that’s way over thinking things. I’ve never even heard of such a thing to nudge schools based on your schedule aside from maybe having 2 simultaneous II’s and asking if you can reschedule one to fit the time of the other if they’re both in the same area.

Nonetheless I don’t think repetitive nudges would be well-received.

My gathering is you’ve received an II to school A. You want to know if you should send an “ITA email” to school B for school A’s week. But it doesn’t seem you’ve received an II from school B yet.. so then if school C sends you an II, can you send school B another ITA despite still not receiving an II.

Doesn’t make sense to me. This is the sort of convoluted premed neuroticism that’s way over thinking things. I’ve never even heard of such a thing to nudge schools based on your schedule aside from maybe having 2 simultaneous II’s and asking if you can reschedule one to fit the time of the other if they’re both in the same area.

Haha yes that is a much better way to word it.

And I'm just curious because it is very expensive to keep flying back and forth and I would like to save hundreds of dollars, if possible. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable hope, rather than neurotic. Whether you've heard of ITA emails or not, they're relatively common and there are schools that explicitly say that they do their best to accommodate these requests (such as the schools I would be sending this request to)

It is a common practice, although the effectiveness of such a practice isn't proven... I would say if a school is not receptive to the first ITA request then obviously don't send another one. My advice would be to send the first one and see how it is received and take it from there.

Reactions: 1 users
It is a common practice, although the effectiveness of such a practice isn't proven... I would say if a school is not receptive to the first ITA request then obviously don't send another one. My advice would be to send the first one and see how it is received and take it from there.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking too. I was just considering that maybe the schools don't offer interviews in that time period I initially mentioned or that the interviews that week are already taken; maybe if I sent another one later it would be at a more opportune time for the school. But yeah, I think you're idea is better. Thank you!