is September 10th on the late side to have my letters of rec. done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruin4Life

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel left behind since many of you guys were smart enough to get your letters prepared earlier in the game. How much time should I give a professor to write a letter? A professor I've asked for a letter, is teaching summer session, which won't end until Sep. 2nd. I was thinking of giving the professor unit Sept. 10th, but is that too late in the game? I was thinking I could have a few secondaries mailed in by then and thus send out my letters as soon as I can after Sept. 10th.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a little later than I would feel comfortable with, but given the fact that no one even knows if med schools will have verified applications by then (and that you really have no other choice with this specific prof), I wouldn't stress too much about it. Just make SURE that this person gets it done by the 10th and then get it out to the school IMMEDIATELY.

Alternatively, since most schools want three letters, you get find 3 profs who can send one now and then use this person as a fourth/backup (most schools are ok with more than three letters).