Is Spanish required for medical schools?

Started by k12123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

k12123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering because i dont see it as a pre req at any med school. Thanks.
 
I was wondering because i dont see it as a pre req at any med school. Thanks.

It's not.

But I would recommend taking it. It really, really, really, really benefits you in the application process.

On the interview trail, I was so surprised how many people didn't take it or thought that taking some in high school was enough.
 
It's not.

But I would recommend taking it. It really, really, really, really benefits you in the application process.

On the interview trail, I was so surprised how many people didn't take it or thought that taking some in high school was enough.

I've taken substantial units of French, and now I can speak the language comfortably. Does that help at all? Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've taken substantial units of French, and now I can speak the language comfortably. Does that help at all? Thanks.

Any second language can be helpful.

But Spanish is the most needed second language in medicine these days in the US.

So, trying to get some Spanish under your belt will always be beneficial. Plus, I've heard that learning one romance language really cuts down the time it takes to learn another.

It's up to you though. Spanish is certainly not a requirement.

For me, it was a subject I really enjoyed, and it has helped me a lot during this app process.
 
Any second language can be helpful.

But Spanish is the most needed second language in medicine these days in the US.

So, trying to get some Spanish under your belt will always be beneficial. Plus, I've heard that learning one romance language really cuts down the time it takes to learn another.

It's up to you though. Spanish is certainly not a requirement.

For me, it was a subject I really enjoyed, and it has helped me a lot during this app process.

Hahahha okay. Since a lot of the content is the same, I guess I'll take at least a semester of Spanish. Thanks!
 
Any second language can be helpful.

But Spanish is the most needed second language in medicine these days in the US.

So, trying to get some Spanish under your belt will always be beneficial. Plus, I've heard that learning one romance language really cuts down the time it takes to learn another.

It's up to you though. Spanish is certainly not a requirement.

For me, it was a subject I really enjoyed, and it has helped me a lot during this app process.

It's helps long beyond the application process. This isn't OChem, you can actually use this for the rest of your career. I'm not out of third year yet and I've already been the closest thing to a translator available on a couple of different occasions.

I'd say take more than a semster. Do an immersion program, skype with someone in Puerto Rico through a virtual language exchange program, whatever. Really learn it.
 
It's helps long beyond the application process. This isn't OChem, you can actually use this for the rest of your career. I'm not out of third year yet and I've already been the closest thing to a translator available on a couple of different occasions.

I'd say take more than a semster. Do an immersion program, skype with someone in Puerto Rico through a virtual language exchange program, whatever. Really learn it.

Oh okay, that makes a lot of sense, thanks. But uh did you already know some spanish prior to taking it in your undergrad?
 
I'm sure people will disagree with me on this, but the issue with Spanish for medical school is highly overrated in my opinion. Unless you are planning to attend medical schools in CA/TX or other states with similar level of Hispanic population, then you don't really "need" to take Spanish for medical schools.

And no, I am not saying this without having Spanish background. I took four years in high school, did well, but chose not to pursue it further because I didn't have genuine interest in it. I'm glad that's how it worked out because I really saw it was pointless for me to spend my time to write papers on Spanish cultures when that kind of knowledge will not ever be used.

If you want to learn Spanish, get Rosetta Stone or something. Being able to speak basic Spanish (which does not require coursework) can be helpful, but you shouldn't take Spanish just to please medical schools. Like I said, this is different for schools in CA/TX/similar states.
 
regardless, I'm don't think I'm going to run to enroll in a spanish course. I took 6 years of spanish in high school. I am absolutely no where near fluency, but sometimes it comes in handy back at home. In my high school we only had the choice between french and spanish so when I got to college I wanted to take advantage to the wide array of languages to choose from. Probably the only time in my life where I can learn latin or greek just because.
 
Spanish is not a pre-req, but some schools place a very high premium on it during the admit process. UCLA is one school that not speaking spanish will hurt your chances for admission
 
But if you don't speak it, don't make it seem like you do. Half the pre-meds I've met consider and promote themselves as "quasi-fluent" because they took a year in college and said "Te duele la garganta?" a few times while volunteering in a clinic. :nono:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took Spanish twice. I took 4 years in HS, which helped a little but not much, and then at the end of Undergrad I did one semester of full time Spanish classes and immersion in South America, which helped a lot and which I highly recommend. I never did take classes through my undergrad.



You'd be amazed how many places have a large hispanic population outside of CA/TX/FL. I've seen plently of Spanish only patients in Louisiana, and know lots of Spanish only families in Atlanta and Virginia as well. I've even run into a lot of Spanish only patients in the military. Often the service member is the only one who speaks English, and when he/she deploys the family loses their translator.

Actually I think that somewhere like CA/TX/FL is probably where Spanish is least necessary (in practice, if not on the applications), because their Hispanic populations are so large and have been around for so long that there are almost always bilingual doctors and nurses available to translate if you need them. In Louisiana, on the other had, the influx of hispanic patients is pretty recent, so there aren't a lot of natural translators amoung the hospital staff. If the paid translator isn't working and you don't know Spanish you might be practicing vetrinary medicine.

That's interesting, but I would still say in terms of admission to medical schools (you seem to discuss more on practice), schools in CA/TX/FL would put more emphasis than say, other schools in VA/NY/etc. Again, I'm all open to the idea of people speaking another language; it's just the idea of "requirement" that I think is not quite effective and unnecessary.

I know a lot of people go down to South America on mission trips and practice their Spanish. Some study abroad in Latin American countries to learn Spanish. Nothing wrong with that, but I think adcoms do realize that doing that doesn't make you an exceptional applicant - speaking Spanish and volunteering in South America are all forms of EC's in the end.
 
IRL, I've used more sign language than Spanish. Arabic in my area is big.

It all depends on where you live where you want to go to school.
 
That's interesting, but I would still say in terms of admission to medical schools (you seem to discuss more on practice), schools in CA/TX/FL would put more emphasis than say, other schools in VA/NY/etc. Again, I'm all open to the idea of people speaking another language; it's just the idea of "requirement" that I think is not quite effective and unnecessary.

I know a lot of people go down to South America on mission trips and practice their Spanish. Some study abroad in Latin American countries to learn Spanish. Nothing wrong with that, but I think adcoms do realize that doing that doesn't make you an exceptional applicant - speaking Spanish and volunteering in South America are all forms of EC's in the end.

My Spanish was a huge deal when interviewing in DC (as in every major city) and even in Omaha. So, it really matters almost everywhere.

But I agree with your point about it being a "requirement." You should not take Spanish just because it will look good. There are many other ways to stick out as an applicant. I had a genuine interest, which is why I kept doing it. But, I think it is good that potential premeds know the importance of Spanish in case they need to do a language and don't know what to pick (many colleges require a language) or in case they are debating if they should take more (the answer is always take more unless you don't enjoy it, Spanish from high school helps but not much).

Of course, this is all coming from a biased source that really enjoyed learning and using Spanish throughout college and has continued to use it in the medical field.

IRL, I've used more sign language than Spanish. Arabic in my area is big.

It all depends on where you live where you want to go to school.

Good point. Which is why I believe the OP having some French experience will help. There is a town near me with a huge African refugee population and French is a desired commodity.

But Spanish certainly is the most widely-used second language.
 
You don't have to have Spanish, but it does help, especially in areas with a large hispanic population for sure.
 
You'd be amazed how many places have a large hispanic population outside of CA/TX/FL. I've seen plently of Spanish only patients in Louisiana, and know lots of Spanish only families in Atlanta and Virginia as well. I've even run into a lot of Spanish only patients in the military. Often the service member is the only one who speaks English, and when he/she deploys the family loses their translator.

Actually I think that somewhere like CA/TX/FL is probably where Spanish is least necessary (in practice, if not on the applications), because their Hispanic populations are so large and have been around for so long that there are almost always bilingual doctors and nurses available to translate if you need them. In Louisiana, on the other had, the influx of hispanic patients is pretty recent, so there aren't a lot of natural translators amoung the hospital staff. If the paid translator isn't working and you don't know Spanish you might be practicing vetrinary medicine.

Agreed.

I live a thousand miles from the border with Mexico, and not a day goes by that I don't hear native Spanish speakers in public. I am fluent in the language, and speaking it has allowed to me to connect with hispanics in a much better way than I would through a translator. The better you can connect with your patients, the better physician you will be. Regardless of the application process, Spanish skills will help you better treat your patients. If you learn it, learn it for that and not just for the application process. Don't just take a class or two and call it good. You'll be surprised how much it will open your eyes.
 
You should definitely learn it. I grew up in FL and learned it from a combination of school and my best friend's family. Even if you're not from FL/CA/TX it is definitely something that you won't regret taking the time to learn properly. Just don't be one of those OOS applicants that interviews at U Miami or something and complains (SDN interview feedback) that most of the patient population speaks Spanish 👎. Anyway, many medical schools do offer Spanish for medical professionals classes.
 
Speaking of Spanish, does anyone know of a place where I can find info on the Puerto Rico schools? Their class threads on SDN tend to be kind of thin, but I am interested to know how many non-puerto rican, non-hispanic applicants they admit.