Is Step One The Most Important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medcurious

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know dermatology is an extremely competitive field. I am looking to go into dermatology internal medicine combined specialty. No it is not because I will get in easier or becuase I will have a better chance....because for the four programs that exist in the us...you have to apply to each department seperately, get in....then UPgrade to combined....just so nobody jumps the gun. SO my question is, is letters of recc, STEP 1, and research all one needs? Does one need to do a 1 or 2 year internship or research full time before applying or is that a bad idea and should one try getting as much as one can while in med school etc. Finally, why is only step 1 considered in med school..what makes it so much more important than the other tests? Any help appreciated!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

medcurious said:
I know dermatology is an extremely competitive field. I am looking to go into dermatology internal medicine combined specialty. No it is not because I will get in easier or becuase I will have a better chance....because for the four programs that exist in the us...you have to apply to each department seperately, get in....then UPgrade to combined....just so nobody jumps the gun. SO my question is, is letters of recc, STEP 1, and research all one needs? Does one need to do a 1 or 2 year internship or research full time before applying or is that a bad idea and should one try getting as much as one can while in med school etc. Finally, why is only step 1 considered in med school..what makes it so much more important than the other tests? Any help appreciated!!!!

more important only because people only have to have step I scores when applying. It is the one number they can compare all applicants on. For competitive specialties many applicants do also have step II. It is a risk. If you take it and do great, it only helps you. If you have a great step I and get a less than stellar step II, it can hurt you. Personally, I felt step II was much easier than step I. But I do no many people who do better on I than II. Up to you ....

medcurious said:
SO my question is, is letters of recc, STEP 1, and research all one needs? Does one need to do a 1 or 2 year internship or research full time before applying or is that a bad idea and should one try getting as much as one can while in med school etc.

There are no guarantees...sure maybe all you need is good LORs, STEP 1 score and some research. Then again, maybe you need more. No hard and fast rules. Derm is a pretty small field and in general, with small fields, connections are important. That said, a Derm related research project that puts in close contact with the faculty at your school, or having them campaign for you at other programs will go a long way. I don't think its necessary to do another internship to try and prove yourself - of course, there are people who can get into Derm the first time around and end up doing this anyway.

Kimberli Cox said:
There are no guarantees...sure maybe all you need is good LORs, STEP 1 score and some research. Then again, maybe you need more. No hard and fast rules. Derm is a pretty small field and in general, with small fields, connections are important. That said, a Derm related research project that puts in close contact with the faculty at your school, or having them campaign for you at other programs will go a long way. I don't think its necessary to do another internship to try and prove yourself - of course, there are people who can get into Derm the first time around and end up doing this anyway.

Yep, your right. Well I go to uconn, and the dermatology department....lets just say is not too extensive so that rules out having them campaign for me at other programs. I was thinking maybe a dem research project at one of the national institute of healths many sub divisions? Maybe the national institute of aging. Im just trying to be creative here. But that truly sucks that you need connections to get in even if you have great LORS, GOOD STEP 1 and 2 scores and have done research and possibly have 1 or 2 publications. A side question: When during med school would one actually do research...during that first and only real summer, or during med school or take a year off or what? Thanks for your time.

retroviridae said:
more important only because people only have to have step I scores when applying. It is the one number they can compare all applicants on. For competitive specialties many applicants do also have step II. It is a risk. If you take it and do great, it only helps you. If you have a great step I and get a less than stellar step II, it can hurt you. Personally, I felt step II was much easier than step I. But I do no many people who do better on I than II. Up to you ....

So you are saying you do not have to take step 2 before you apply to your residency and that way only need to use your step 1? Maybe I am confused. Sorry, can you clear that up retro? Thanks.