Is taking chem, bio and physics in 1 quarter too ambitious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a post bac student and have the option of taking chem 2, bio 1 and physics 1 together fall quarter but am wondering if this is manageable. All three courses have lab, but I'm really wondering if it will be possible to get an A in each course. I don't need to take physics, but want to try and get it out of the way so I'll have more time to study for the DAT in the spring of 2012. What does everyone think of this schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

you should be able to handle 3 science classes. I took ochem phys and bio together and did "ok". post bac is meant to raise ur gpa so try not to rush it.

I say do it. If you can pull all A's you can prove to adcoms (and more imp
PHP:
ortantly to yourself) that you can handle a tough academic load. Dental school is going to be much harder than Bio, Chem & Physics all in the same semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should say that I'm a non-traditional taking all the prereqs because I never took any when I was an undergrad. I've taken chem 1 and got an A and intro Bio this summer and got an A as well. I'd like to get an A in all courses (who doesn't?) but don't want to mess up my gpa by taking a physics course which I can put off until later (after I finish chem, bio and orgo).

If you can't handle this load, think about your 8-5 schedule in dental school and how much harder it will be!

You can do it, I actually had the same schedule in fall 07, A's in all except physics, but that wasn't because of the course load, just a crappy teacher. I think the best thing to know in undergrad is who is teaching the courses, try to work it so you get the best instructors.

Talking to a UCLA graduate that I shadowed, he said one quarter he had 13 finals! It may be good practice and show adcoms that you are ready for a heavy DS load.

A's in all except physics, but that wasn't because of the course load, just a crappy teacher.

Never blame the teacher. Only you could have earned that A.

Talking to a UCLA graduate that I shadowed, he said one quarter he had 13 finals! It may be good practice and show adcoms that you are ready for a heavy DS load.

dude, you can do it and as previous posters stated, it would give you a good practice how to manage a heavy course load in future (ds)

to just give you an idea as how hectic it is going to get in DS, here is a glance of my first semester schedule:
1st Year

Fall Semester 2010
DENF 1501 - General Histology
DENF 1521 - Biochemistry
DENF 1541 - Physiology I
DENF 1551 - Microbiology & Immunology
DENF 1601 - Dental Anatomy I
DEPF 1602 - Dental Anatomy Lab I pp. 1-12
DEPF 1602 - Dental Anatomy Lab I pp. 13-23
DEPF 1602 - Dental Anatomy Lab I pp. 24-40
DENF 1621 - Ethics in Dentistry
DENF 1651 - Foundationial Skills for Clinic I
DENF 1931 - Basic and Applied Nutrition
DENF 1934 - Introduction to Prevention of Oral Diseases
DENF 1991 - Introduction to Dental Informatics

I'm still contemplating what to do. I haven't taken math in 10 years, which makes me hesitant to take physics without brushing up on basic algebra, trig, and calculus. I'm already spending a few hours each day reading my books so I can get a head start once the quarter starts at the end of this month.

Do you think non-calculus based physics would be manageable for someone like myself who hasn't taken math in quite a long time?

I am a post bacc and I took all 3 with labs my first semster and got an A in all of them. Moreover, I had no science background prior to started - like I didn't even know what an organelle was. Lol

Do you think non-calculus based physics would be manageable for someone like myself who hasn't taken math in quite a long time?

Yes, as that is what I did. I am non-traditional and I didn't have any issues taking phys, org, cell bios, all labs and one non-sci class in a semester and getting all A's.

As far as physics goes, do the homework!! That is the best studying you can do.

hmmm.....hoylematt.....i may have to beg to differ on the teacher issue....i took physics II lab and completed all the coursework with As, all lab writeups....etc, etc......they told us that only 30% of the class would be given As.....so they decided it was ok to give me a B....its BS but its the teacher in this case

hmmm.....hoylematt.....i may have to beg to differ on the teacher issue....i took physics II lab and completed all the coursework with As, all lab writeups....etc, etc......they told us that only 30% of the class would be given As.....so they decided it was ok to give me a B....its BS but its the teacher in this case

"only" 30% of the class given As? Are you serious? Dude, that's a TON!! GRADE INFLATION TO THE MAX!

"only" 30% of the class given As? Are you serious? Dude, that's a TON!! GRADE INFLATION TO THE MAX!
well its still BS when you get As in all the work and get a B overall

OP: I think you can 4.0 this sched given two conditions.
1.) You're sold out on your education.
2.) You dont have too many competeing interests

When I first was in college and got an AA I got a b average taking easier courses than I am now (non science) & worked 35hrs/wk. After working fulltime and returning to school for DS I maintain the two above conditions and pulled a 4.0 last term taking; Ochem II, biochem, anatomy, and neuro.

I'm NOT a natrually smart person so I think if you observe those two rules you will do just fine.