Is taking Physics and Chemistry at the same time a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
umm ever heard of taking a full course load?
just take 5 courses per term
if you can't handle that, how the hell will you handle med school?

He does plan to take a full course load, he called the other classes "fluff." I rather support his decision to not attempt bio 1, gen chem 1, phys 1, calc/stats, etc all in one semester. He might just be the crazy superman for whom that is a piece of cake, but mistakes are costly in the Game of Stethoscopes and setting himself up for a potential fail doesn't seem wise.

Members don't see this ad.

So since you're going to be taking the new MCAT, do you think self-prep is enough to score in the mid 30s?

I'm studying for the MCAT as well. I think self prep is the way to go. Focus on doing well in your classes and really learning and understanding the material rather than purely focusing on grades. It will make MCAT studying much easier. I'm almost done with content review while my friends taking formal MCAT classes are not even 1/3rd of the way done with any book. Most of them regret spending so much money on the class. There are plenty of awesome self study schedules on sdn you can look up.

Also the MCAT is now scored from about 490-530 ( not exact but ballpark ) not 1-45.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, chill out.
After talking to my adviser I'm going to be taking a schedule like this.

First Semester:
Gen Chem I
Bio I

Second Semester:
Gen Chem II
Bio II
Physics I

Third Semester:
OChem I
Physics II
Intro Psych

Fourth Semester:
Ochem II
Biochem
Intro Sociology

Gen Classes will be scattered throughout, but i'll be filling up most of my required hours through my other classes, most of which will be easier, in the last two years.

atte
I'm studying for the MCAT as well. I think self prep is the way to go. Focus on doing well in your classes and really learning and understanding the material rather than purely focusing on grades. It will make MCAT studying much easier. I'm almost done with content review while my friends taking formal MCAT classes are not even 1/3rd of the way done with any book. Most of them regret spending so much money on the class. There are plenty of awesome self study schedules on sdn you can look up.

Also the MCAT is now scored from about 490-530 ( not exact but ballpark ) not 1-45.
Do you think Finishing all my pre-reqs including sociology, psychology, and Biochem in my first two years, then spending the Summer studying for MCAT would work well?

atte

Do you think Finishing all my pre-reqs including sociology, psychology, and Biochem in my first two years, then spending the Summer studying for MCAT would work well?

Yah I think that's fine, perfectly doable. If you are going to be a first semester freshman next year then just stay flexible, keep an open mind, and be ready to pivot if you change your mind for whatever reason. Your undergraduate education should not revolve around being a pre-med and it doesn't have to even with all of the expectations placed upon you. The most important thing you can do now is get into college and prepare to adjust your habits and schedule in order to succeed. Your proposed class timeline right now is just fine and par for the course really. I strongly recommend not taking "fluff" courses and instead taking courses in non-science (preferably humanities) subjects that you may be interested in who are taught by quality faculty.

I was strongly advised to take Chem and Bio separately so I took my advisers advice but in hindsight I definitely would have taken them together! If you like science, take them both. I'd save Biochem until the semester before you take the MCAT. The MCAT has a decent amount of Biochem on it!

I was strongly advised to take Chem and Bio separately so I took my advisers advice but in hindsight I definitely would have taken them together! If you like science, take them both. I'd save Biochem until the semester before you take the MCAT. The MCAT has a decent amount of Biochem on it!
Yeah I plan on taking it in my fourth semester, leaving me a whole summer to study for the MCAT.