Is taking the DAT mid August a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7Days

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am applying to dental school this cycle and I was wondering if taking the DAT between August 16-18 a bad idea. I have all of my applications filled out with the exception of my personal essays that is still being revised. Is the time period to take the DAT a little bit late or am I okay with testing on one of those dates?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I am applying to dental school this cycle and I was wondering if taking the DAT between August 16-18 a bad idea. I have all of my applications filled out with the exception of my personal essays that is still being revised. Is the time period to take the DAT a little bit late or am I okay with testing on one of those dates?
Shouldnt be too late. What's your GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is on the low side being that it's a 3.2
Try to do well on your DAT and apply broadly/schools that emphasize DAT score and you should be good. As long as u put some work into EC's, PS and extracurriculars

Reactions: 1 user
Mid-August is a bit late to be taking the DAT, but it's also important not to take it before you're ready. How long have you been preparing for the DAT so far?

Took mine in October and still got multiple interviews with an acceptance.

Come at me, bro.

Reactions: 2 users
Mid-August is a bit late to be taking the DAT, but it's also important not to take it before you're ready. How long have you been preparing for the DAT so far?
I've been preparing for about month now so far.

Took mine in October and still got multiple interviews with an acceptance.

Come at me, bro.

HOw many schools did you apply? I'm taking mine in mid august too and the schools i am applying it are like really prestigious like ucla and ucsf and I'm a bit worried

What's a like really prestigious dental school?

i mean high ranked schools like UCLA, UCSF, USC, UOP, columbia, UC of michigan
i didn't mean to pick only these schools (i mean i do wanna go there) but there aren't a lot of schools that i can apply since most school srequire either ANat or physio or both, and some schools don't take community college units. So i'm pretty limited on which schools i can apply to and the ones that i can apply are really competitive to get in like the ones i mentioned

i mean high ranked schools like UCLA, UCSF, USC, UOP, columbia, UC of michigan
i didn't mean to pick only these schools (i mean i do wanna go there) but there aren't a lot of schools that i can apply since most school srequire either ANat or physio or both, and some schools don't take community college units. So i'm pretty limited on which schools i can apply to and the ones that i can apply are really competitive to get in like the ones i mentioned
Those schools are not necessarily higher "ranked", but most of those are more selective. Dental schools have no rankings, unlike medical schools.

My GPA is on the low side being that it's a 3.2

My GPA is the same as you and I'm taking my DAT in August. Good luck to both of us!

Reactions: 1 user