IS taking the dat twice going to effect my chances of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nilejewles430

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi iam going to take the dat on the 11/21 of this month, this will be my first time if i dont score high, will that look bad! when iam applying the second time around. what happens on test day if i dont get a good score (20) do i have to summit the exam or can i omit the whole exam. oes any one know what to do

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi iam going to take the dat on the 11/21 of this month, this will be my first time if i dont score high, will that look bad! when iam applying the second time around. what happens on test day if i dont get a good score (20) do i have to summit the exam or can i omit the whole exam. oes any one know what to do

thanks

Ok, Im no pro...but let me start off by asking when are you applying? Its very very late to be applying for this cycle.

If you are applying for 09, then my next question is what is the rush? If you are not sure you are going to kill it, maybe now isn't the time for you to take it... Although we all have the "what if's" so if its just a case of that then disregard

Also... I think, and this is just what I have gathered from reading the forums..If you take it again, and they will send both scores... you can take it later... Say April... apply in May, and then if you chose to retake the DATs you have an option of sending or not sending that score out (although i dont know the ethics behind this) but anyway.... as far as I know the 1st one is there to stay

I took the DAT 5 days before I submitted to application. It was august 24th (my DAT date) and I felt I was ready, i had studied for a couple months from all the material I could get my hands on. I took it before I applied because I wanted to see if I did well. If I didnt do well I could wait and take it again for next cycle without wasting any money. My GPA is low (see signature) so I knew if I didnt get an above average score it would be useless applying.

I actually suggest you to take the 1st attempt. Though you may not score high, you will get the real taste of what actual DAT is like. If you do well then it's great!
However, even if you don't do well, at least you have feeling of real DAT in real environment.

Many suppliments tries to resemble actual DAT but I haven't seen one that looks similar to real DAT. I took my 1st one back on April this year and 2nd Oct. DAT questions somewhat evolved. The biggest differece I saw was RC section where it asks for true/false with 2 different statements. Such question, I never seen before in any studying material. I worked on Achiver, TopScore, the expensive Kaplan course, Barrons, Destroyer, cliff's note, some of those eBay question banks (i think it's called "efficient", which not efficient at all. Bunch of copied problems from different sources.) and etc. You name it I've done it. But never seen that 2 statement true/false RC question before.

After all, I improved on every single section. :D Well... meaning I did bad on my 1st trial. lol.... but I did fine on PAT and OChem though. :rolleyes:

Good luck. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks

Unless you are really ready to take it, don't.

1) It is so late in this cycle that unless you kill it, there is only a slim chance of acceptance fpr 2008

2) The majority of DAT retakers do not do better the second time around

3) Unless you have $$$$ to burn, it wil likely be wasted on the application process.

4) I do not personally agree with taking the test just to "see how it is" in real life. Study like hell and take that damn thing once and move on.

Just my opinion, best of luck! :thumbup:

To answer the OP's original question - if you take the test, your score that day will be recorded forever, regardless of your score. YOU DO NOT have the option to omit the test once you see your scores.

If your practice test scores were consistently 16-18, then don't expect to score 20 or higher on the real test.

If your practice test scores were consistently in the low 20's, then you are very likely to get 20 or higher on test day.

Practice test scores are not perfect, but the AA is accurate to about 1-2 points.

If it makes you feel better, you can search SDN for threads where people wrote the comparisons between their practice tests and the real one. There are tons of those threads.

Good luck