tbcthk

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
11
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Do GPA and DAT score gets higher every year?
 

mahya

Deeply Motivated Dreamer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2006
134
0
Status
Dental Student
Definitely,

There are lots of people applying to schools with high DAT scores (ranges of 22+) and GPA of 3.5+ with lots of research, extracurricular, and dental assisting.
 
About the Ads

thehipster

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
312
0
NYC
Status
Dental Student
The number of applicants, DAT scores and GPAs have all only been increasing these last few years and will continue to for some while, especially when more and more students read about these lists about how dentistry is one of they highest paying professions. Eventually the number of applicants will peak, but I doubt that will be anytime soon.
 

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
11,356
84
Texas
Status
Dentist
We can't DEFINITELY predict whether or not competition will increase this year (it may go down). But judging by the trend for the past couple years, it's only safe to say that competition will be a lot higher. :luck:
 

pmoney

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2004
288
0
Visit site
Status
Absolutely.

In my undergrad college, we have had a recent SURGE in the number of biology/pre med/pre professional school majors coming in. The average scores have been going up for a while now for all the professional schools. I think dentistry in particular is getting hit because people have now 'discovered' it as an alternative to medicine where you can make a good living, yet have a good lifestyle at the same time.

When my dad was in Dental school in the 80s, he would tell me that most of the class was people who couldn't get into med school, or at least were pre meds going into college. Nowadays, there are insane amounts of people who want to be dentists from the get go. When I went to interview for a 3/4 program in april or may 2005, they told me they had 3 times as many applicants for that program that year as they normally did.
 

thomasjm

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
77
0
Status
Yes, it is getting tougher, but don't be discouraged by the scores that you see people post on this site. Get your information from a variety of sources, including the schools. In my opinion the DAT scores and GPA of the posters on this site are above average and don't represent the majority of applicants.
 

earthcap

Interview!
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2006
117
0
Status
Dental Student
pmoney said:
Absolutely.

In my undergrad college, we have had a recent SURGE in the number of biology/pre med/pre professional school majors coming in. The average scores have been going up for a while now for all the professional schools. I think dentistry in particular is getting hit because people have now 'discovered' it as an alternative to medicine where you can make a good living, yet have a good lifestyle at the same time.

When my dad was in Dental school in the 80s, he would tell me that most of the class was people who couldn't get into med school, or at least were pre meds going into college. Nowadays, there are insane amounts of people who want to be dentists from the get go. When I went to interview for a 3/4 program in april or may 2005, they told me they had 3 times as many applicants for that program that year as they normally did.
Hey, I'm applying to only five schools. Do I need to add some more schools?
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
18
Arizona
Status
Dentist
earthcap said:
Hey, I'm applying to only five schools. Do I need to add some more schools?
That depends on how important getting into dental school is for you. Your grades are excellent, and your DAT score are also top notch. But, nothing is a sure guarantee.

By applying to more schools arll you are out is the $, which isn't much when compared to sitting around for an entire year and waiting for the next application cycle.

The safest bet is to always apply to more than you need to, within reason of course. Reason for you is going to be less schools that somebody with a 3.1 and a DAT of 18.

But as always, only apply to schools that you would actually attend!
 

PlanB21

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
92
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey GavinC...How is the dental school over there in Arizona? I have really liked what i have heard from it so far. My app just got mailed out yesterday and im hopin for a chance. How are the teachers and labs?
 

jewelsnz

Kiwi girl
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
44
0
38
Status
Pre-Dental
earthcap said:
Hey, I'm applying to only five schools. Do I need to add some more schools?
Earthcap, I'm only applying to 5 schools as well, but thats because my husband just started residency at UMich in Emergency Medicine and I really want to stay in Michigan (obviously). My stats are pretty similar to yours so I am really hoping to get into one of the Michigan schools. But if you're not so picky about location then add more schools.
 

DDS:)

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2005
452
0
Status
Dental Student
tbcthk said:
Do GPA and DAT score gets higher every year?
I think it is getting harder for at least next couple years since the avg. stats are getting higher. But I dont think it will be a lot harder though.
 

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
1,759
0
41
Status
Dental Student
tbcthk said:
Do GPA and DAT score gets higher every year?

i dont have statistical evidence that admission stats are getting higher but i guess it's reasonable to say that as financially rewarding and socially prestigeous jobs diminish, more people are going to compete for the few remaining professions that offer these luxuries, such as dentistry. off course, more competition translates to higher DAT/GPA, at least to a major extent.
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
18
Arizona
Status
Dentist
PlanB21 said:
Hey GavinC...How is the dental school over there in Arizona? I have really liked what i have heard from it so far. My app just got mailed out yesterday and im hopin for a chance. How are the teachers and labs?
It's an awesome school and I'm having a blast! 9 more months to go! The instructors are great (for the first couple of semesters your instructors will be from Baylor, UNC, San Antonio, and other dental schools).

Labs are done with the courses during the day, there is no after-hours labwork to be done.

Clinic life is even better. You'll get to do lots of procedures and have some excellent instruction.

The school is anticipating well over 3,000 applicants this year, so good luck!
 

Revellian

It tastes like... burning
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2003
135
1
Status
Dentist
Center for Educational Policy and Research, USA. [email protected]

Following a 25 percent decline in dental school applicants between 1997 and 2001, from 9,829 to 7,412, the number of applicants over the last three years has increased to 9,433. Based on the rate of applicants to the class entering in the fall of 2005, it is estimated there will be a further 10 to 15 percent increase in the number of applicants, thereby exceeding the 1997 number of applicants. The number of first-time, first-year enrollees rose from 4,039 to 4,457 (10.4 percent) between 1996 and 2004, during which time three new dental schools were established (Nova Southeastern University; University of Nevada, Las Vegas; and Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health). Almost 54 percent of the 418 additional first-year positions can be attributed to the three new schools. Slightly over 47 percent of the dental school applicants were enrolled in 2004; 55.4 percent of the applicants in 2003 were enrolled. The number of applicants per first-time, first-year position was 2.12 in 2004 and 1.81 in 2003. It was 2.31 in 1997, the last peak of dental school applicants. (The most recent low was 1.34 in 1989.) The average GPA of the first-time, first-year enrollees continued to increase slightly, standing at 3.35 for science GPA and 3.44 for total GPA. Over the last several years there has been essentially no change in the average academic average and total science DAT scores of the first-time, first-year enrollees, standing at 18.7 and 18.5 respectively. However, the average perceptual ability score has declined slightly, from 18.1 to 17.3. Women were 43.9 percent of the applicants and 42.4 percent of the first-time, first-year enrollees in 2004. Five years ago, women were 38.6 percent of the applicants and 36.5 percent of the first-time, first-year enrollees. Underrepresented minorities comprised 12.4 percent of the applicants and 11.6 percent of the first-time, first-year enrollees in 2004. These percentages are little changed from those reported since 2001.
So to sum up, the number of applicants is increasing, GPAs are rising slightly, DAT AA scores are staying the same, and PAT scores are declining slightly. You guys/girls are facing a larger applicant pool, but not a stronger applicant pool compared to recent years.
 

DDSPirate

ILUVWAX
10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
3
0
Status
Dental Student
ItsGavinC said:
It's an awesome school and I'm having a blast! 9 more months to go! The instructors are great (for the first couple of semesters your instructors will be from Baylor, UNC, San Antonio, and other dental schools).

Labs are done with the courses during the day, there is no after-hours labwork to be done.

Clinic life is even better. You'll get to do lots of procedures and have some excellent instruction.

The school is anticipating well over 3,000 applicants this year, so good luck!
Hey Gavin

I'm from Baylor and was just curious which instructors went out to Arizona and taught ya'll.
 
About the Ads