is the brain made of smooth muscle tissue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a paper saying the brain is partly made of smooth muscle tissue? I thought they are made of neuronal tissues. Is the paper right? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

indeed, the brain is made up of smooth muscle tissue. this idea of "neur-ons" is just part of a vast right wing conspiracy.

What about the arteries in the brain (I would think they would be considered part of the brain) ... do they have any smooth muscle in their wall?

Seems like they do:

http://www.brain-aneurysm.com/ba1.html

Brainartstruct.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the arteries in the brain (I would think they would be considered part of the brain) ... do they have any smooth muscle in their wall?

Seems like they do:

http://www.brain-aneurysm.com/ba1.html

Brainartstruct.jpg

i'm unsure if you're also joking, but the vessels that supply an organ usually aren't considered part of that organ. but yeah, arteries contain smooth muscle, that's how they change size.

It's not "made of" smooth muscle tissue, but smooth muscle is a (small) component...

i'm unsure if you're also joking, but the vessels that supply an organ usually aren't considered part of that organ. but yeah, arteries contain smooth muscle, that's how they change size.

I thought it was a silly question initially (based on the title), but I tried to figure out what the OP could possibly be asking. Smooth muscle cells from the brain's arteries is the best I could come up with ... perhaps not satisfactory, but maybe the answer to the OP's question (were they looking at a slide where the smooth muscle cells were stained or results from brain tissue which included smooth muscle cells from the arteries)? Maybe the OP can clarify ....

Here is another reference:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/v5k3147x758q3p4p/
Pig brain homogenates contain smooth muscle myosin and cytoplasmic myosin isoforms
"Summary Three myosin isoforms, two of smooth muscle and one of cytoplasmic origin, were found in porcine brain by Western blotting analysis with antibodies specific for smooth and cytoplasmic myosins. The smooth muscle isoforms comprise at least 30% of the total myosin present. Brain tissue is therefore not a suitable source for the isolation of pure cytoplasmic contractile proteins.

yes, that's why they say "the brain is your strongest muscle"

indeed, the brain is made up of smooth muscle tissue. this idea of "neur-ons" is just part of a vast right wing conspiracy.

That makes sense. Bush's brain is all muscle. Not a single neuron. Hmm.

actually, it was a serious questions.

the paper suggests that a gene called "Tagln3" is highly exprred during Neuronal development (particularly in the frontal cortex), and is inovled in the cytoskeleton formation during smooth muscle differetiation in the head.

the paper suggests that a gene called "Tagln3" is highly exprred during Neuronal development (particularly in the frontal cortex), and is inovled in the cytoskeleton formation during smooth muscle differetiation in the head.

Can you cite a reference or is the paper unpublished / secret?

Quagmire's brain is made out of smoothmuscle.........

The head encompasses much more than just the brain.

smooth muscles are people?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:eek: