Johnwickk

2+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I know this question has been talked alot recently but just wanted your guyss opinion. Is it really worth being in debt 450-500k for dental school? How long will it take to pay it off? Dentist salaries start anywhere from 90-150k and move up to 200-300k within a few years. Is paying it off in less than 5 years possible?

S

Spliced

I know this question has been talked alot recently but just wanted your guyss opinion. Is it really worth being in debt 450-500k for dental school? How long will it take to pay it off? Dentist salaries start anywhere from 90-150k and move up to 200-300k within a few years. Is paying it off in less than 5 years possible?
Anything is possible if you are being realistic. Paying it off within 5 years is very ambitious and will depend on your circumstances - are you living alone or with someone? where you live, how you spend your money, etc. Its very situational but its doable however for the majority of people it will take longer.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
If you want to live off Spam and water for a few years, and live somewhere cheap, then you have a chance of paying off your loans in 5 years. Most people look to 10 years. The other choice is joining the military - if I had known how good that deal was I would have totally done that. The debt is worth it if you really enjoy dentistry and working with patients.

About the Ads
OP
J

Johnwickk

2+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
If you want to live off Spam and water for a few years, and live somewhere cheap, then you have a chance of paying off your loans in 5 years. Most people look to 10 years. The other choice is joining the military - if I had known how good that deal was I would have totally done that. The debt is worth it if you really enjoy dentistry and working with patients.
How about the money? And the lifestyle? And the fancy cars? And the mansions? Possible?

Aug 29, 2017
Is joining the military a contract or are you there for life????

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Life of Pablo

Hola
2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
In the long run, I'd still say it's worth it. However, if you just look 5-10 years down the road, then you most likely will still be paying off your debt and living more modestly. That's why so many people on these forums advise going to the cheapest school.

Reactions: Noice

FanOfCostco

7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
As a dentist that sees mostly government assisted patients, I can honestly say I love what I do. I don't like the pay of course, but I wouldn't trade what I do with anyone else except Kanye. My philosophy is don't worry about the money, it will come. if you are in it for the money, you should probably look into investment banking or something.

Reactions: Allaboutteeth5

Noice

Dental Student
May 3, 2017
Status
Dental Student
Dentistry can be lucrative in the long run, but I doubt it'll feel like it 5 years after you graduate.

About the Ads