Is the east or west coast more DO friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodNotGreat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may have to make a choice between a DO school in California or New York.

Does anyone have any insight on how DO-friendly the local:
  1. Residency programs - Are programs more or less friendly in CA or NY?
  2. Patients - Would patients be unfamiliar with DOs, or reluctant to see one, (as a student, resident, or physician) in either area? One more so than the other?
I know there’s a big DO presence in the NY/NJ/PA area, but in CA there was that whole incident in the 60s/70s with the little “m.d.” thing that’s throwing me off.

Does anyone have any experiences they want to share with me?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

n = 1 but in Central MD no one has any idea what a DO is. Our state has two MD schools but no DO. I suspect familiarity with and preference for DOs has to do with what types of schools and programs feed into the area. Most of the people who know what DOs are around here like them though! Because few people know about the degree, not many people have prejudice for/against them around here.

Members don't see this ad :)
n = 1 but in Central MD no one has any idea what a DO is. Our state has two MD schools but no DO. I suspect familiarity with and preference for DOs has to do with what types of schools and programs feed into the area. Most of the people who know what DOs are around here like them though! Because few people know about the degree, not many people have prejudice for/against them around here.

“Central Maryland” you’re referring to..?

So essentially CA is less friendly than NY?
I would say yes. If you look at where all the DO schools are concentrated in the country, it'll tell you it's own story.
On top of that, Cali is probably the most competitive/expensive place in America at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't answer your entire question, but a vast majority of patients won't know/care about DO vs MD.

Reactions: 2 users
In either case, does it matter?
You got the stats for MD? Do that.
If not, and you want to be a doc, you'll have to become a DO.

I know you're just asking questions, but it's not really a question/answer that's going to mean anything.

In either case, does it matter?
You got the stats for MD? Do that.
If not, and you want to be a doc, you'll have to become a DO.

I know you're just asking questions, but it's not really a question/answer that's going to mean anything.

I’m good with going DO. Geographic differences matters to me because it will play a role in which school I choose to go to.

If I will face more headaches on one coast than another, it will factor into my decision. If it’s inconsequential, I may make a different decision.

Not sure where you’re going in California, but I’ve scribed at a hospital affiliated with one of the D.O. programs in Southern California. In my experience, the students rotating were competent in supporting their residents and the residents from said program excelled when they completed their residency there. One was accepted into an endocrine fellowship too. One of the EM docs I scribed for completed his education there and I saw no difference in how he practiced compared to his MD counterparts. As others have said, patients don’t care if you are an MD or DO.

I would make my decision based on where you feel you’d be happiest since you will be spending the next 4 years and then some there. California is awesome, but crazy expensive with a lot of traffic.

I’m good with going DO. Geographic differences matters to me because it will play a role in which school I choose to go to.

If I will face more headaches on one coast than another, it will factor into my decision. If it’s inconsequential, I may make a different decision.
Go to whatever school you get into. Study hard so you can apply where you want to for residency, otherwise you'll be applying all over.
For ex) I'm from Detroit. I moved to SC for school. Plan on applying east coast + midwest for residency. You go where ya can.

I do fear of 2024 match and onward, bc of the plethora of new applicants being added (5+ some schools added that year).
Personally not a fan of this med school overhaul the DO world is facing.

Why only CA or NY? There are a lot of states in between... If you are from California, why not Arizona or Colorado (DO schools in both of those states)?

Why only CA or NY? There are a lot of states in between... If you are from California, why not Arizona or Colorado (DO schools in both of those states)?

I assumed he has acceptances from schools in CA or NY.

Reactions: 1 users
I may have to make a choice between a DO school in California or New York.

Does anyone have any insight on how DO-friendly the local:
  1. Residency programs - Are programs more or less friendly in CA or NY?
  2. Patients - Would patients be unfamiliar with DOs, or reluctant to see one, (as a student, resident, or physician) in either area? One more so than the other?
I know there’s a big DO presence in the NY/NJ/PA area, but in CA there was that whole incident in the 60s/70s with the little “m.d.” thing that’s throwing me off.

Does anyone have any experiences they want to share with me?

Thank you!
Patients won't know or care.

There are more DOs on the East Coast and the Midwest, due to the historic locations of the oldest DO schools

Reactions: 2 users

You will face headaches anywhere as a DO. Either explaining what a DO is to patients or trying to match at major academic centers. If that bothers you, maybe a gap year is best and reapply MD. All is not lost. Great training exists at lots of DO friendly programs. But you will have to put together a good app and play the match game well. Lots of good advice on SDN for this. Go for the best training you can get, even if not convenient geographically. Its only for a few years. I went to DO school to be a small town GP, and boy did that change. Im biased, but think East coast medical training is best. A major BUT here, is east coasters are VERY intense, often abrupt and judgemental. Training out East is not for the thin skinned requiring frequent praise and support. I'm speaking in great generalities and all programs are not like this. It was however my experience and my Wife's. Fear is a great motivator. Med education out East answers the Dark Princes question "Is it better to feared or loved?"

Last edited:
  • Love
“Central Maryland” you’re referring to..?
The Chesapeake Bay vertically splits Maryland into an Eastern and Western shore. Even further west, we have rural mountainous areas. We refer to these geographically and socially distinct areas as "Western Maryland", "Central Maryland" and "The Eastern Shore". Central Maryland is generally suburban but includes the Baltimore/DC meto area. The eastern shore is rural and produces soy and poultry. It is also the source of our beloved crabs and oysters. Western Maryland reaches out to share borders with Virginia and West Virginia. Appalacian culture is alive and well in Western Maryland.

Not extremely relevant but it felt being from central, suburban Maryland bore mentioning because patients in the rural eastern shore or western Appalacian region may be more familiar with DOs, based on how much emphasis DO schools place on medically underserved rural areas.