Is the first week of July still early?

Started by NewDent02
Tags Tags
early
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NewDent02

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
everyone stresses how important it is to apply early and if i submit first week of July is that still considered early ?
 
I've heard that up till mid July is considered "early" (I've read that July 15th is the magic number). Obviously you want to get it in asap, but just because you submit it early august doesn't mean you won't get in anywhere. I'm freaking out too a little because I haven't submitted mine yet. good luck!
 
What is the ultimate reason to apply early?
I know people who applied in July and didn' hear anything until March. I would want to hear on Dec 1st the decision if I applied this early.
So I am actually unsure what is the real reason to apply early (less candidate, more chance for interview)?
Thank you for sharing
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the ultimate reason to apply early?
I know people who applied in July and didn' hear anything until March. I would want to hear on Dec 1st the decision if I applied this early.
So I am actually unsure what is the real reason to apply early (less candidate, more chance for interview)?
Thank you for sharing
I have heard/read many schools function "on a rolling basis". Meaning the earlier, the better chance for interview. Given your experience with your friends that did apply early, I am not so sure.
 
The biggest reason for applying early as was stated is that they interview and accept on a rolling basis. So the earlier you apply the more likely it is that you get an interview spot. If you wait until after the first round of interviews are decided there are fewer spots which means the competition for those spots goes up. If you are a less than ideal candidate you best chance comes from getting looked at early. If you have a stellar GPA and a great DAT score, schools will probably look at you even if you apply later in the cycle. It is the boarderline and below average candidates that should apply early because it is when schools are most likely to give you a chance.

It is not always the case, there are exceptions on both sides but you would rather have your app fighting for 140 spots rather than 50 spots.