Is the first week of July still early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDent02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
everyone stresses how important it is to apply early and if i submit first week of July is that still considered early ?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that up till mid July is considered "early" (I've read that July 15th is the magic number). Obviously you want to get it in asap, but just because you submit it early august doesn't mean you won't get in anywhere. I'm freaking out too a little because I haven't submitted mine yet. good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
What is the ultimate reason to apply early?
I know people who applied in July and didn' hear anything until March. I would want to hear on Dec 1st the decision if I applied this early.
So I am actually unsure what is the real reason to apply early (less candidate, more chance for interview)?
Thank you for sharing

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the ultimate reason to apply early?
I know people who applied in July and didn' hear anything until March. I would want to hear on Dec 1st the decision if I applied this early.
So I am actually unsure what is the real reason to apply early (less candidate, more chance for interview)?
Thank you for sharing
I have heard/read many schools function "on a rolling basis". Meaning the earlier, the better chance for interview. Given your experience with your friends that did apply early, I am not so sure.

Reactions: 1 user
The biggest reason for applying early as was stated is that they interview and accept on a rolling basis. So the earlier you apply the more likely it is that you get an interview spot. If you wait until after the first round of interviews are decided there are fewer spots which means the competition for those spots goes up. If you are a less than ideal candidate you best chance comes from getting looked at early. If you have a stellar GPA and a great DAT score, schools will probably look at you even if you apply later in the cycle. It is the boarderline and below average candidates that should apply early because it is when schools are most likely to give you a chance.

It is not always the case, there are exceptions on both sides but you would rather have your app fighting for 140 spots rather than 50 spots.

Reactions: 2 users