Is the summer after first year really the last real summer of our lives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anastamoses

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to do research on campus but I also want to plan a 1 mo. trip overseas to visit family. Are there any other opportunities to plan a vacation after this summer or is this the last one?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're talking about a 1 month vacation, it'll be doable in the future for some. One of my mentors would take a 1 month vacation every year to visit her family overseas (she's a physician and PI). I think 4-6 weeks vacation is pretty standard benefit for physicians (although taking it all at once may not be feasible in most practices).

If you're talking about 10 weeks or something like that, that'll be rarity until retirement. But it's a rarity for most working people who aren't free-lancers.

If you're talking about wanting the ok to just kick-back and do something fun this summer, I say do it. Plenty of my friends just traveled during their break after M1 and it didn't negatively affect them at all as far as I can tell.

yup lol

welcome to the party, pal

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have the opportunity if that is what is important to you. 1 month vacation is not that unreasonable for a job (esp. after around 5 years of experience.) If you want to take something longer, one thing that you can do is take some time off between jobs (e.g. you accept another job, but don't set your start date for a few months.)

Also depending on when you take your Step I and start M3 you could have a good 6 weeks off. Also between M4 and Internship you get some time... Hell, from what I understand M4 is basically a vacation in itself

After Match Day (third week of March), I had nothing to do fourth year until I graduated May 12th. It was sweet. After I showed up for graduation, nothing to do (other than move) until residency started on June 26.

I'm planning to do research on campus but I also want to plan a 1 mo. trip overseas to visit family. Are there any other opportunities to plan a vacation after this summer or is this the last one?

Of COURSE you get breaks. You'll get weekends off, Winter Break, some holidays, etc. throughout your medical school career. And you'll likely get time off after Step 1 before M3 year, and to interview and relax some during M4 year. As far as whether this is your "last summer vacation", maybe, but jesus who cares? Welcome to the real world, where you don't get summer vacation and you work like the rest of the adult population.

Welcome to the real world, where you don't get summer vacation and you work like the rest of the adult population.

Thank you so much for saying this, somebody had to...

one of our course directors, when telling the MS1's about summer opportunities said,

"So I know you are all thinking that this upcoming summer is your last free summer. Well you're wrong. Last summer was your last free summer."

I had 1 week off between Step 1 and MS3. Got 2 weeks off around Christmas this year. Will have 1 week between MS3 and MS4. 4 weeks off in MS4 but will be taking Step 2. Another 4 weeks off during MS4, but will be interviewing. Finally, another 4 weeks off at the end of MS4 before graduation.

So yeah, you'll get "time off" during the rest of your time in med school. But as for an entire summer off? Yeah, may never happen again before retirement.

Don't you think you'd get bored with your life if you got a lot of summers off? Vacation time is there for a reason.

One whole summer is probably enough time to get clinically rusty. Do what you want with your summer off, but remember that you've already embarked on developing your adult career, so act accordingly.

I'm surprised medical schools even allow that first summer off to be honest.

Don't you think you'd get bored with your life if you got a lot of summers off? Vacation time is there for a reason.

One whole summer is probably enough time to get clinically rusty. Do what you want with your summer off, but remember that you've already embarked on developing your adult career, so act accordingly.

I'm surprised medical schools even allow that first summer off to be honest.
I dont know about you but > half of my class is planning on using that first summer to do research, or an externship, or a variety of other productive things. The whole point is to give us some time to differentiate ourselves.

Alternatively, someone could go home and veg out on their mothers couch for the whole summer, but that's telling too, isn't it?

Fair enough, but if that's the goal, I feel that time off may be better spent a little later in an educational career when one may have more of an idea of how they want to approach differentiating themselves.

My general plans of specialty of interest drastically changed from that summer. Hindsight's 20 20, but I would have changed what I did...even if I did the same general thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the summer after first year really the last real summer of our lives?
This was the mantra for a lot of the students who didn't do any "work" over the summer. I think a lot of people were expecting go hog-wild after first year, relive some of their college experience and maybe recreate their time abroad, because this was going to be the epic last summer of their lives.

For the most part, it didn't happen.

Maybe it was the anticipation of the upcoming year, maybe medical school irreversibly scars everyone or maybe complete financial destruction kills the buzz, but nobody seemed to have that epic vacation.

That's not to say you won't enjoy the summer. After first year, there's no better feeling than having your weekends and evenings free, to see those strange people (family and friends?) that you vaguely recall from pictures. Plus, 8 weeks worth of lab work = low expectations. Put in a reasonable amount of effort the first couple of weeks, and your PI's will think you're phenomenal.

Basically, don't get washed away in the hype of others justifying their summer plans. As previous posters have stated, you'll have time to go overseas at some point, and either way, you're going to enjoy this summer.

I haven't had a summer vacation since high school.

I started working in a lab like 3 days after 1st year of college, continuing until about 3 weeks before 2nd classes started (visited overseas family in those 3 weeks).

After 2nd year, took classes all summer and had a 1 wk break before fall semester responsibilities.

After 3rd year, worked in a lab all summer until the next fall.

After the end of college, took off two months for full-time MCAT study. Had a week or two of break prior to graduate school.

No summers in graduate school.

No summers in medical school (research rotations during the summer).

My last summer was back when I graduated high school. I miss it.

If you want summers, you have to do something like teaching or a locum tenens position as a doctor, where you basically choose to not take assignments over the summer and live off of savings. During your training, though, don't expect summer vacation or even Christmas/New Years vacation (many/most residents work either New Years or Christmas).

The reality is that most adult people, not even the self-employed, have the luxury of having summers off. The rare exception are the schoolteachers and even they often do projects, summer school, lecturing community college courses, etc. over the summer.

I had 1 week off between Step 1 and MS3. Got 2 weeks off around Christmas this year. Will have 1 week between MS3 and MS4. 4 weeks off in MS4 but will be taking Step 2. Another 4 weeks off during MS4, but will be interviewing. Finally, another 4 weeks off at the end of MS4 before graduation.

So yeah, you'll get "time off" during the rest of your time in med school. But as for an entire summer off? Yeah, may never happen again before retirement.

Pretty much my schedule exactly as well. So yes the summer after first year is going to be the last real summer "off". Most people spend most of it working some research job with chill lab hours and basically have a nice time of it. Once you get past that point, you are going to have much shorter blocks of time to relax -- there will always be something (Steps, application stuff, ACLS and other various residency prep requirements) that will make a long vacation difficult. As an attending you probably get 4-6 weeks off a year, but very few places are going to allow you to take more than a couple of weeks in a row for staffing reasons. Either you work in a partnership or hospital atmosphere where you will be unable to get folks to cover for you for that long, or you work for yourself and you can't disappear from the business or your patients for that long. So no, it's very conceivable that on this path you will never again have a 6+ week summer break until you retire or die. That being said, most people try to get a research gig or otherwise use the time productively -- you have residency apps in just a few short years, and are going to want something solid on the resume to distinguish yourself, and resumes for most folks straight from undergrad to med school is going to be awfully light going into that year. Such is the life you chose. It's rewards are many, but don't include long vacation time in most cases.

This is what makes me want to work in Europe. Everyone there, especially in countries like France and Spain, has luxurious amounts of vacation as the norm. In Spain in particular, 2-3 months off, with a months or so blocked out with nothing during the summer, is completely normal. They laugh at our paltry 4-6 weeks. It's sad here.

Alternatively, someone could go home and veg out on their mothers couch for the whole summer, but that's telling too, isn't it?

Not sure if that's meant to sound as much a pejorative as it does, but I wouldn't say it's a horrible thing. I'm not planning on doing it -- and I couldn't do that for a summer and still retain my sanity anyhow -- but hey, whatever floats their boat.

I just want to make sure I'm able to go overseas and visit my grandparents sometime in the near future as they're in their 80's and also because I've never been to my native country. This is something really important to me. I've actually delayed this visit for several years now because 1. I was always too poor to afford it 2. all of my past academic summer were spent conducting research or being employed. It seems like research this summer is going to delay my trip once again, but at least there's a potential gap after M4. :xf:

Not sure if that's meant to sound as much a pejorative as it does, but I wouldn't say it's a horrible thing. I'm not planning on doing it -- and I couldn't do that for a summer and still retain my sanity anyhow -- but hey, whatever floats their boat.

Its part of this current generation that "doesn't want to grow up." In fact the title of this thread is a showcase of that point of view...

I just want to make sure I'm able to go overseas and visit my grandparents sometime in the near future as they're in their 80's and also because I've never been to my native country. This is something really important to me. I've actually delayed this visit for several years now because 1. I was always too poor to afford it 2. all of my past academic summer were spent conducting research or being employed. It seems like research this summer is going to delay my trip once again, but at least there's a potential gap after M4. :xf:

Unsolicited opinion: do not put research in front of that trip. The next few years are not guaranteed to your grandparents (or you, for that matter).

Its part of this current generation that "doesn't want to grow up." In fact the title of this thread is a showcase of that point of view...

I know, I it's funny that the term "real" in the title of this thread means "summer vacation a la K-12 grade school".

There are some radiology practices that will send you to a different country for certain periods of time so that you can be their nighthawk (as opposed to contracting other groups in foreign countries). Think of it as an extended pseudo-vacation.

I'm sure if you're in interventional cards or interventional neuroradiology and have a sweet practice set up... you might take 3 months off. You just might have one of your partners take off for 3 months at a time too. I've heard rumors of this...

anastomoses, i would say go visit your grandparents.

i am basically thinking of this as my last summer with no set commitments as of yet. while i would like to do something productive like research or something, I know that i MUST go see my grandparents because I wont have another chance for a terribly long time, whereas the 2 months you spend on research may not give you anything to show except the checkmark on your CV that youve done research.

This is what makes me want to work in Europe. Everyone there, especially in countries like France and Spain, has luxurious amounts of vacation as the norm. In Spain in particular, 2-3 months off, with a months or so blocked out with nothing during the summer, is completely normal. They laugh at our paltry 4-6 weeks. It's sad here.

Over here in The Netherlands, 2 months is the norm for students. After uni, however, it's a lot less.

I go stir crazy with too much time. By the end of a month off I am usually going nuts to get back into some kind of schedule.

I do not even get the summer after my first year off. Instead I am doing research over the 8 weeks with a lovely $3000 stipend. Considering I should be working 50+ hours per week in my lab, the compensation is a paltry $7.5/hr. Considering minimum wage is $7.25, I am upset that I am earning less as a college graduate than I did as an undergrad or HS student when I worked part-time.

I only get one week for Christmas and one week at spring. And the spring vacation is at the same time as everyone else, so nothing is discounted. I want to travel outside of the country at least once before I am 30.

I wanted to visit Iran once before my exit visa expires, but that is not happening. Hopefully, I can discover something interesting this summer....

Last edited:
Considering I should be working 50+ hours per week in my lab

Really? Seems like you'd be fine working 40... Now you're making $9.38 per hour... Thats not very encouraging... I guess I was just surprised by this sentiment as I haven't seen it anywhere else for summer research...

yeah, the weather will still be warm and the days will still be long in the summers after first year, but you won't have as much time to enjoy it.

I did chill research and lived it up, it was an awesome summer; much freer than my summers in undergrad, which were spent working.

Our med school told us today that in order to help us match 4th year they are taking away one week of step 1 study time (we get 3 weeks total) so fourth year can start earlier. So to help us match they take away 25% of the time we have to study for the exam that is (arguably) the most important factor in getting a good residency spot. So I have like 4 days vacation after USMLE, which will be spent at my best friend's wedding. awesome. :cool:

Of COURSE you get breaks. You'll get weekends off, Winter Break, some holidays, etc. throughout your medical school career. And you'll likely get time off after Step 1 before M3 year, and to interview and relax some during M4 year. As far as whether this is your "last summer vacation", maybe, but jesus who cares? Welcome to the real world, where you don't get summer vacation and you work like the rest of the adult population.

I'd just like to add that my married friends say marriage is the truly official "end of the line."

lighten up people. i plan on going abroad this summer because i like traveling. it has nothing to do with "not wanting to grow up". excuse me if i'd like to enjoy life a little bit and not work every single day out of the year.

sure it would be nice to have a month or two off every summer for the rest of my life but i think we (including the original poster) are all well aware that such a scenario isn't possible in the profession we have chosen. therefore, for me this IS my last real summer vacation and i plan to make the most out of it.

lighten up people. i plan on going abroad this summer because i like traveling. it has nothing to do with "not wanting to grow up". excuse me if i'd like to enjoy life a little bit and not work every single day out of the year.

sure it would be nice to have a month or two off every summer for the rest of my life but i think we (including the original poster) are all well aware that such a scenario isn't possible in the profession we have chosen. therefore, for me this IS my last real summer vacation and i plan to make the most out of it.

You realize your post proves that you don't want to grow up? That most people before this current "entitled" generation have been working during summers for the last 8 years of their lives? (high school and college) So the last "real" summer? Every summer of your life will be the same... Its a season, that is hotter than the others.

Is this the last chance to live off either your parents or loans for a couple of months and act like an entitled member of generation Y? Yes, it is...

i've had a job every summer since freshman year of high school (except last summer before i started med school). i dont feel i'm entitled to anything and assuming so makes you a judgmental prick. we get a summer vacation and i am going to use it as such. i play the cards i'm dealt.

yes i will be traveling with loan money. you make it sound like it's free money that falls from the sky. well its not and i know that im going to be paying it back with about 30 years of interest. i'm willing to make that sacrifice in order take advantage of my LAST opportunity till retirement to be able to travel for as long as two months straight.

i've had a job every summer since freshman year of high school (except last summer before i started med school). i dont feel i'm entitled to anything and assuming so makes you a judgmental prick. we get a summer vacation and i am going to use it as such. i play the cards i'm dealt.

yes i will be traveling with loan money. you make it sound like it's free money that falls from the sky. well its not and i know that im going to be paying it back with about 30 years of interest. i'm willing to make that sacrifice in order take advantage of my LAST opportunity till retirement to be able to travel for as long as two months straight.

1) Assuming so means I know how to play the odds.

2) Name calling? Really? I was just quoting this generations beloved Obama when referring to Generation Y as "entitled", I think you are just being reactionary. So I guess you are calling Obama a judgmental prick?

3)
excuse me if i'd like to enjoy life a little bit and not work every single day out of the year.
You are right that doesn't sound entitled at all!

4) Capitalize the first letters of your sentences if you want to be taken seriously.

uh.. I want to enjoy life too and not have to work every day. definitely feel entitled to that degree of luxury. if people don't feel entitled to enjoy life then they are probably at high risk for mental illness. "pursuit of happiness" etc

Last edited:
hahaha, yeah i totally agree with coldweatherblue. so if i say i want to enjoy life and not work every day out of the year that makes me entitled? show me one person who works every single day. because i am quite certain that you don't. you're right, lets go back to the good old days when grandpa walked six miles in the snow barefoot just to get to school everyday. a time when the milkman left glass bottles at your doorstep and a cold refreshing coke only cost a nickel. i mean seriously, how old are you? 75?

our society has a certain structure and i'm working within that structure. entitlement means making unreasonable demands because of a sense of superiority. i'm not making any demands or complaining. like i said i'm playing the cards i'm dealt and i definitely feel fortunate to be in the position that i am in. stop being bitter and embrace the world around you.

You realize your post proves that you don't want to grow up? That most people before this current "entitled" generation have been working during summers for the last 8 years of their lives? (high school and college) So the last "real" summer? Every summer of your life will be the same... Its a season, that is hotter than the others.

Is this the last chance to live off either your parents or loans for a couple of months and act like an entitled member of generation Y? Yes, it is...
Lighten up, Francis.

DrJD, what should a "grown up" do after finishing his/her first year of med school? When should a "grown up" travel?

Thank you so much for saying this, somebody had to...

1) Assuming so means I know how to play the odds.

2) Name calling? Really? I was just quoting this generations beloved Obama when referring to Generation Y as "entitled", I think you are just being reactionary. So I guess you are calling Obama a judgmental prick?

3)
You are right that doesn't sound entitled at all!

4) Capitalize the first letters of your sentences if you want to be taken seriously.

You, apparently, are not a part of the entitled generation. What are we doing wrong? What should we be doing with our free time?

3) You are right that doesn't sound entitled at all!

Use punctuation and conjunctions correctly if you want to be taken seriously.

Use punctuation and conjunctions correctly if you want to be taken seriously.

You're right, a missing comma is just as obnoxious as writing a long paragraph without a single capital letter :)

You have all proven my point brilliantly, actually. :thumbup:

Welcome to the world of the working adult. Although, with seniority and maybe entry into partnership/contract negotiations, you could have a couple months off a year. But it's rare to take time off in one fell swoop.

Hopefully you went into medicine because you like the job. ;)

PS...

Quick apology, I was in a really bad mood when I wrote a lot of my earlier posts, and can see how cantankerous I came off. While I agree with what I said, I don't agree with how I said it. There is nothing inherently wrong with traveling this summer instead of working. I really don't want to get in to it, because it doesn't matter, but my point was more about the mindset of our generation. I had to spend a LOT of time in my previous career constantly convincing people from the generation before us to take me seriously. They all assumed I was an entitled, selfish a hole. It got really old.

I took out that frustration on this thread. That said, please forgive my crappy tone. We can agree to disagree on the merits of our generation, and on the details of summer plans, but my goal wasn't to be a jerk. So sorry about that, people can feel free to respond to the OP's original question rather than deal with my silly posts.