is there a difference between PR books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osprey099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the Princeton Review books that are available on amazon.com and the Hyperlearning books that are only available through their course? I've read somewhere that they are actually the same except that the ones on amazon have passages after each chapter, which the hyperlearning books do not have. But the hyperlearning books combine all these passages into their science/verbal workbook. So if this is true, will I get the same amount of practice passages by buying all the PR books on amazon as the hyperlearning science/verbal workbook?

Members don't see this ad.

You will not get the same amount of practice passages if you buy the content books. However, the TPR content review books do have a few questions at the end of each chapter, as you said.

The TPRH course now uses the same content books sold in the stores. They have abandoned their older books which combined two subjects in one book.

If you want extra practice, I would recommend getting the science and verbal workbooks. So to answer your question, you will not get the same amount of practice buying the regular TPR content review books as you would the science and verbal workbooks. They are different books.

Is there a difference between the Princeton Review books that are available on amazon.com and the Hyperlearning books that are only available through their course? I've read somewhere that they are actually the same except that the ones on amazon have passages after each chapter, which the hyperlearning books do not have. But the hyperlearning books combine all these passages into their science/verbal workbook. So if this is true, will I get the same amount of practice passages by buying all the PR books on amazon as the hyperlearning science/verbal workbook?

I believe as what SN2ed said in one post a few weeks ago, it compares as following:

TPRH = Content review + ( 0 ) + (Science & Verbal workbooks passage)
PR = Content review + (a few passages) + ( 0 )

Science & Verbal workbooks are ALL passages. (2 separate books)

Yeah, TPRH is Princeton Review's classroom course material and includes content review + the Science and Verbal Workbooks. The workbooks contain all of their practice material.

For bookstores, there's the big book Cracking the MCAT which is a waste of money. However, they also offer individual subject books:

Here's what the Biology one looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Revie...7929/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335577960&sr=8-3

The content review material in these books is the same as what's in the TPRH classroom course material and is quite good. There are also a handful of passages which may be from the TPRH Workbooks, but I don't know for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it detrimental to have the 2009 hyperlearning book series when prepping for an MCAT that is given Sept. 1? Are the newer editions radically different? thanks!

Is it detrimental to have the 2009 hyperlearning book series when prepping for an MCAT that is given Sept. 1? Are the newer editions radically different? thanks!

The Hyperlearning books haven't received any major updates since they were first released under the Hyperlearning series name.