Is there a Dummies Guide to getting research experience or something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bngli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am someone who for whatever reason has never been able to get research experience. I tried throughout college and my master's program, nada. I wrote up cover letters, sent lots of emails, etc. I applied for research summer programs, always denied. Is there some secret I am missing?

I'm not even looking for highly competitive programs, just like PM&R, Pysch, or Anesthesiology. But I want to be able to get something close to home, so don't want to do the bare minimum and just match anywhere.

What do you recommend for me getting something to gain some experience? I've heard of doing like case reports and stuff. Who should I contact? Just random attendings I find on websites near academic hospitals?

I'm a nontrad from an Epic analyst background with some SQL experience if that helps with anything. Can I use that in any research capacity?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a nontrad from an Epic analyst background with some SQL experience if that helps with anything. Can I use that in any research capacity?
SQL knowledge is definitely unique stuff and is valuable for database analysis. I would ask around attendings offering to help with database related work. I think @GoSpursGo @mvenus929 gave some good ideas in one of the many research threads posted here that I’m trying to find

Reactions: 1 users
I am someone who for whatever reason has never been able to get research experience. I tried throughout college and my master's program, nada. I wrote up cover letters, sent lots of emails, etc. I applied for research summer programs, always denied. Is there some secret I am missing?

I'm not even looking for highly competitive programs, just like PM&R, Pysch, or Anesthesiology. But I want to be able to get something close to home, so don't want to do the bare minimum and just match anywhere.

What do you recommend for me getting something to gain some experience? I've heard of doing like case reports and stuff. Who should I contact? Just random attendings I find on websites near academic hospitals?

If you're a medical student, don't email, but talk to your school's PIs. Read up on thier research first, and ask if they can use a hand in the lab or with data analysis.

Probably depends a lot on the school. At research powerhouses, you should be able to just email a few professors and get something.

At primary care focused schools, you may need to put in more legwork

I'm a current med student at a relatively well known state school, not primary care focused but not exactly a research powerhouse either.

Part of the key is to figure out your school's process for research. Mine didn't have an organized system, but the school I'm affiliated with now does--you put what your interests are on a form and they help match you with faculty. Our hospital also has a gigantic research center, and there are lots of people working with big data (doing database research or pulling real-world data from EMR to analyze), so you just need someone clinical to make sure what you're pulling is clinically significant information.

If your school doesn't help, then finding a research mentor can be challenging, but see if your school's library keeps track of the research coming out of the institution--and then look at who is publishing in the divisions you're interested in. If the division is large enough, they may have a specific person to coordinate research opportunities for learners (our division does, but she also doesn't advertise when learners are looking for opportunities, just kinda casually asks around).

My advice is always the same--start with getting a mentor. The biggest hurdle is finding someone who will be invested in you and your professional development. Once you can clear that bar, they can either let you do some small projects or can put you in contact with others who are looking for students to help.

Do you have a formal mentor or advisor at your school? If so, start with them. If not, then I would suggest emailing the PD of your home residency program in the specialty you're interested in. They may have a sense of who is doing research in their department that might be appropriate for a student.

Reactions: 3 users