Is there a list of non-trad Personal Statement readers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dianyla

in denial
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was peeking at the official PS readers list over in the Pre-Allo forum and it occurred to me that it'd be nice if we had our own list.

What do you guys think? Would more of you volunteer to be readers if it were limited to reading personal statements from non-traditionals?

ETA: OK, it looks like there's enough interest to build a list. Can haz! :D

Here's what I've got so far based on the replies in this thread. Let me know if you want to be taken off or have other comments to add!

General guidelines:
1. Give your readers plenty of time. This is universal to all PS readers, but is even more relevant for non-traditionals who tend to have busier and complex lives.
2. It's good practice to PM them first to see if they have time/bandwidth to read your PS and give you feedback. Don't just pick someone off this list and send a PM bomb.
3. It's very helpful if you can tell someone what kind of feedback you are seeking: i.e. general commentary, grammar/spelling/structure, thematic advice, etc.

QofQuimica: Need I say more? We all know she's fabulous. Although, her fabulousness is limited in its time and scope of availability to us. Currently not accepting PS read requests but may again in the future.

riverjib: Has a journalism background and would happily help read/critique PS.

familyaerospace: "I've published several journal articles and presented at several conferences. Currently, I make my living as a copy editor for a science non-profit organization. I've copy edited probably 100 personal statements ranging from college to graduate school, several essays, grant proposals, and also for journals. Actually that should be updated. I read an ADDITIONAL 100 personal statements for medical school, so my eyes have been on something like 200 statements. (Feel sorry for me.)" Please, help save familyaerospace from having to read hundreds of insipid traditional statements! :p

Dianyla: I'm non-traditional myself and would happily give feedback. I am known for being brutally honest, if that's your bag.

MSmentor018: "taught medical/nursing students for years. frequently advise PS for non trads, esp those with military background. just completed and read 481 LOR's for a research project on their influence and descriptions on ERAS applications. feel free to PM, I'll help out you need it."

ArkansasRanger: will "read your PS and let you know if it seems like you're just spreading the cheese. :D" If you're lucky, he'll even turn it into a limerick! :D

LeFauconPelerin: "I'd be willing to read and critique a few PSs. I've got chops in re: writing and editing -- background as newspaper columnist and editor while in school; now in charge of workplace's newsletter; a handful of PSs of my own (not for med school) that earned me nationally competitive scholarships -- although I should also provide the caveat that I've no particular expertise in medschool PSs. i.e., think of me as a useful set of eyes, but not necessarily authoritative."

knightstale: "If there is still a need for personal statement readers for non-trads, I would be more than happy to offer my services :). As for qualifications, I have been a writing consultant for four and a half years, and have Master Level III Certification. I have also taken a workshop on personal statements. I take a multi-dimensional approach to writing, so will be looking at everything from grammar to content and impact :D.

As a side note, I am also applying to medical school this year, but will be available throughout the year for consultations. PM me for my e-mail address."

Excelsius: "This is an excellent way to give back to the SDN community (other than donating, of course!). After I finish my exams and if my research is going well, I will also volunteer some time to read PSs. At such a time I will also post my credentials, but not before. I too think that this will be much safer to do in this forum than in pre-allo:xf: "

vc7777: "I'm free for the next week or so in June (2010) to read a couple more PSes for this cycle. I take a particular interest in nontrads with children, and would prefer to work with these SDN members in particular."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would be glad to proof NT PS's. I can send credentials. I am professional writer both creative and technical and academic.

Moo

I was peeking at the official PS readers list over in the Pre-Allo forum and it occurred to me that it'd be nice if we had our own list.

What do you guys think? Would more of you volunteer to be readers if it were limited to reading personal statements from non-traditionals?

I do see that there are a few self-identified non-trads on the readers list, and I'll be stalking them shortly, oh yes. :smuggrin:

Two things:

First, for those of you who want your PS draft read, please be respectful of the readers. In particular, you should ask first before you send your PS along. Having some person I've never even spoken to before send me their PS without permission always makes a bad first impression on me. Also, please don't send your PS the day before you want to submit your app. Plan ahead--you should give your reader at least a week, preferably two, to read the PS.

Second, with those caveats, I am happy to sign up for the list. Credentials: besides having gotten into med school myself, I have been a student adcom for the last three years and have read hundreds of PS's, both on SDN and IRL.

Edit: Unfortunately, I will not be able to accept any additional personal statement drafts after May 31, as I will be returning to medical school in June. If you sent me a PS draft in May, I will have it read for you within two weeks of when you sent it to me (so by June 13 at the latest).

Edit #2: Please do not ask me to read PSes for applications to other professional schools besides medical (MD or DO) schools. I don't have any experience whatsoever with the app process for dentistry, pharmacy, podiatry, or other health professions. If you are applying for one of these professions and would like to have someone read your essay, please contact one of the mods in the appropriate forum to find out who the knowledgeable PS readers in your field are. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would be happy to contribute. I wrote for local newspapers (and edited my school paper) for years. I'm finishing undergrad now, and taking a writing class specifically devoted to the personal essay genre, but we spent a few weeks on personal statements, since they're actually becoming common even in the job market. We practiced writing and critiquing personal statements not meant for programs we actually wanted, and read tons of real ones. Then we wrote our own real ones, and worked in groups to get feedback on them.

Honestly, between my own reading and what I've done for this class, I've gotten pretty good at this. PM me if you want feedback. But I'd really love to participate in a dedicated forum to the PS. Mine is not ready yet, but I'm happier with it than I thought I would be. I think sharing them with a good group is helpful, as long as you're okay with criticism. I've already had great feedback (not snarky) on what I should cut out, and when I should "show, not tell." It's helping me quite a bit.

My professor printed out PS's from admitted applicants to various schools, as well as some from programs where he was on the admissions committee (with permission, of course). What fascinates me is that even the best ones are received with at best a 60/40 split on how good they are. Everyone in my class had favorites, and they were really different, which shows that no matter who your audience is, you're only going to appeal to some people with the best story and great writing. But it's worth it to appeal to someone in a way that might set you apart somehow.

Please, PM me if you'd like my feedback. If SDN establishes a non-trad PS thread, I'd love to contribute and have others give me feedback as well!

I'm one of the non-trads on the personal statement reader list. I've read so many trad essays that my head is going to explode. I've probably read 100 since Jan... and no, I am not kidding.

The only one's I've enjoyed have been the non-trad ones.

you guys are contributing quiet a lot.
thanks.

familyaerospace - your interests would integrate together perfectly when we have families residing in space.
(was watching wall.e just now)

ArkansasRanger's Personal Statement:

"I want to go to medical school here because I want to be a doctor. Thank you for having read my personal statement."

:D

murfettie

I agree completely. When I was in graduate school, I was studying behaviour of small groups in space for my thesis (actually I was doing psychological stressors, but relationships were a huge part.) Those who knew me would hear me postulate about the possibility of families as an ideal crew to go on long duration space missions.

So great to get responses on this thread. If you like, I could maintain a running list of nontrad readers edited into the first post?

As I'm just entering the upcoming AMCAS cycle this year, I don't feel particularly qualified from the standpoint of being a proven successful applicant. However, I'll happily offer my reading and editing skills for theme, content, and final grammar/spelling polishing work.
The only one's I've enjoyed have been the non-trad ones.
You've basically confirmed my fears on the matter. I would love to read other nontrad personal statements, but the thought of reading dozens of traditional ones makes me want to run for the hills.
ArkansasRanger's Personal Statement:

"I want to go to medical school here because I want to be a doctor. Thank you for having read my personal statement."

:D
The other day I was thinking it would be so much easier to just write a haiku. Bonus points for lolspeak. :laugh:

"Once planned on medschool
Delayed by 10 yrs of crap
Admit me nao plz!"

The other day I was thinking it would be so much easier to just write a haiku. Bonus points for lolspeak. :laugh:

Admit me nao plz!"

i'z in yer amcas
gotz 25 yearz of stuf
i can has med skool?

I would like to send someone my personal statement. (I'm a non-trad student) :) How would I do that once the list has been finalized/in the process of being finalized?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You've basically confirmed my fears on the matter. I would love to read other nontrad personal statements, but the thought of reading dozens of traditional ones makes me want to run for the hills.

Dozens nothing! If you volunteer to read personal statements on pre-allo, there will be no end. Nearly all follow the same formula too. An introduction that either tells about playing doctor as a 5 year old or some papercut that they make "sound like a severed artery." Another paragraph about majoring in biology and how much they loved it. A paragraph about some random research. A paragraph about shadowing or volunteering. Then there is a conclusion. If I am really really really lucky, someone will write something about a sport or artistic or EC that makes them stand out.

Hmmmmm

What if the personal statement were a rhyming poem or perhaps even a song?

I sat in class
on my numb ass
and it dawned on me
that I had to pee

With a raised hand I asked
may I go to the restroom
and as she multitasked
the teacher said yes
away I went before I could mess

And while there I wondered
while it thundered
where from comes urine
and what diseases need curin'

So my interest began to peak
although still meek
I decided to become a doctor
and later become a proctor

To college I applied
and delight were my folks
I wasn't denied,
it was no hoax

They gave me an admit
and I was there
but lazy I was
so I quit and went where

To early graduation
with a degree of my confabulation
I left school early
and felt kind of squirrely

I needed a job but couldn't decide
so to academia I turned for my great hide

A little science I had learned
now it was my turn
to join the workforce
by teaching a biology course

I liked teaching
although I knew I was reaching
the classroom wasn't for me
so I turned to flee

I needed another job
and with help from Bob
I was offered one in blue
yet Bob's name wasn't true
I needed a rhyme
and Bob came with time

I soon excelled at what I did
but couldn't close that lid
I had acted a fool
I gave up on med school

I was lazy and stupid
and with time you regret
not what you've done
but what you obstacles haven't met

I now close the door
on this part of my life
Back I go for more
thus causing great strife

Classes may be hard
and I may be a '****
But I shall give it my all
because it may be my call

The science and the practice
are what I crave the most
Being a doctor must be awesome
One could only boast

Hopefully some day too
I'll get that MD
which all started
with having to pee

Reactions: 1 user
One could only boast

Hopefully some day too
I'll get that MD
which all started
with having to pee
Awesome! :luck:

Hmmmmm

I sat in class
on my numb ass
and it dawned on me
that I had to pee

may I go to the restroom
and as she multitasked
the teacher said yes

while it thundered
where from comes urine

although still meek

To college I applied
I wasn't denied,
it was no hoax

They gave me an admit
and I was there
but lazy I was
so I quit and went where

To early graduation
I left school early

now it was my turn
to join the workforce

I liked teaching
so I turned to flee

I needed another job
and with help from Bob
I needed a rhyme
and Bob came with time

I had acted a fool
I gave up on med school

I was lazy and stupid
and with time you regret
not what you've done

I now close the door
on this part of my life
Back I go for more

Classes may be hard
and I may be a '****

One could only boast

Hopefully some day too
I'll get that MD
which all started
with having to pee

AMAZING. i dare you to send that in ;)

Admit me nao plz!"

Sekundary feez
Goin out of my pocketz
Pls look at my app??

best PS thread ever - i especially love the lol cat format.

With Q of Quimica's blessing I may do just that. :p
What would be a blessing is if you didn't subject some poor, defenseless adcoms at UAMS to that....poem. Though I can't deny that it would certainly grab their attention. :laugh: :p

What would be a blessing is if you didn't subject some poor, defenseless adcoms at UAMS to that....poem. Though I can't deny that it would certainly grab their attention. :laugh: :p

I do like a dynamic entry. ;)

Hmmmmm

I sat in class
on my numb ass
and it dawned on me
that I had to pee

may I go to the restroom
and as she multitasked
the teacher said yes

while it thundered
where from comes urine

although still meek

To college I applied
I wasn't denied,
it was no hoax

They gave me an admit
and I was there
but lazy I was
so I quit and went where

To early graduation
I left school early

now it was my turn
to join the workforce

I liked teaching
so I turned to flee

I needed another job
and with help from Bob
I needed a rhyme
and Bob came with time

I had acted a fool
I gave up on med school

I was lazy and stupid
and with time you regret
not what you've done

I now close the door
on this part of my life
Back I go for more

Classes may be hard
and I may be a '****

One could only boast

Hopefully some day too
I'll get that MD
which all started
with having to pee

I'd give you admission pronto with full ride and a stipend, bet no one has done this before.Do start writing poems. something to add to your ec's. This is superb

pm me for personal email, then send along. you get to see mine too.

I would like to send someone my personal statement. (I'm a non-trad student) :) How would I do that once the list has been finalized/in the process of being finalized?

Thanks!

So is someone going to make the list?

I had to ask to pull myself off the reader list because even after saying I was only going to read non-trads, I was still bombarded with trads demanding I read their statement.

BUMP!

I've edited the list into the first post of this thread, based on people's replies to this thread.

Thanks.

Here is my actual background that I copied and pasted from my thing in pre-allo...

"I've published several journal articles and presented at several conferences. Currently, I make my living as a copy editor for a science non-profit organization. I've copy edited probably 100 personal statements ranging from college to graduate school, several essays, grant proposals, and also for journals."

Actually that should be updated. I read an ADDITIONAL 100 personal statements for medical school, so my eyes have been on something like 200 statements. (Feel sorry for me.)

Can one of the mods make this thread a sticky?

I'd be happy to read NT PS's. I was an investment banker for two years post graduation before I decided to go into medicine. I did a post bac for a while and worked simultaneously in clinical research in peds endo at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I have put myself on the official PS readers's list as well so you can see that thread to see the kind of approach I use to read PS's. But please send me a PM if anyone needs help with their PS.

Good luck!

Bumping, with updates to the first post. :)

taught medical/nursing students for years. frequently advise PS for non trads, esp those with military background. just completed and read 481 LOR's for a research project on their influence and descriptions on ERAS applications. feel free to PM, I'll help out you need it

I'll read your PS and let you know if it seems like you're just spreading the cheese. :D

After June 4th, I'll be available as a PS reader (though if you've been good your primary app should be already submitted). I only ask that you give me 1 week's notice. PM me if you like.

@Dianyla:

I'd be willing to read and critique a few PSs. I've got chops in re: writing and editing -- background as newspaper columnist and editor while in school; now in charge of workplace's newsletter; a handful of PSs of my own (not for med school) that earned me nationally competitive scholarships -- although I should also provide the caveat that I've no particular expertise in medschool PSs. i.e., think of me as a useful set of eyes, but not necessarily authoritative.

Welcome aboard, I've updated the list! :)

If there is still a need for personal statement readers for non-trads, I would be more than happy to offer my services :). As for qualifications, I have been a writing consultant for four and a half years, and have Master Level III Certification. I have also taken a workshop on personal statements. I take a multi-dimensional approach to writing, so will be looking at everything from grammar to content and impact :D.

As a side note, I am also applying to medical school this year, but will be available throughout the year for consultations. PM me for my e-mail address.

Last edited:
:laugh: I've been missing for awhile but this really made me smile this morning. I think this is a great idea. And those haiku's ...Wow some of the best stuff even written. :)

Arkansas that poem will definitely boost your app...where it boost it to, well that's up for debate:D

And those haiku's ...Wow some of the best stuff even written. :)

Arkansas that poem will definitely boost your app...where it boost it to, well that's up for debate:D

I think that's the reason that in my blog entry about how to write a personal statement, I actually compliment this thread and say how some of my favourite "statements" were actually lolspeak and that there was a good nonlolspeak poem.

This is an excellent way to give back to the SDN community (other than donating, of course!). After I finish my exams and if my research is going well, I will also volunteer some time to read PSs. At such a time I will also post my credentials, but not before. I too think that this will be much safer to do in this forum than in pre-allo:xf:.

Bumping with a few updates. If anyone's on the list and wants their status changed please post here or PM me. Thanks! :luck:

i would be honored to help read/review any ps that anyone wants. i have kiddos so i can help with that. i have also had some poor grades in the past and can also offer perspective on how to address that in your ps. i am available now.