is there a way to make A LOT of money as a doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ubadub said:
I'm going to have to give the official hippy response. I grew up in the richest area of manhattan. I went to the best schools. My classmates had parents that had a billion or more, including one who owned a major sports team (comparable to the Mets). One of my closest friends from high school's family was incredibly wealthy too. And let me tell you what being close to the ultra weath has sent into my bones. IT'S STUPID!

I could never communicate my experiences into a stupid ass web forum, but I can echo the lesson learned. The wealthiest tend to be the most arrogant, complacent, and have the most disfunctional families. Trust me. To aim just for wealth is absurd..

I think you have not met enough people. I know so many people from average families who are dysfunctional and crazy. Sexual abuses, meth addiction, on and on ...

You are right when you say rich people are arrogant and selfish, but having a lot of money really helps.

I think we have to distinguish people who are wealthy and children of those people. Bill Gates, Buffett, Soros... these people give out a lot of money. Gates Foundation has 24 billion dollars to give out for next couple of years. They know how hard it is to make money and spend wisely.

Children of rich parents, like Ms. P Hilton, don;t care. But I think most people agree that you rather have her life (at least her wealth, may be not her intelligence)

Members don't see this ad.

take your paycheck to las vegas and bet on black or red...or 0 or 00...a quick way to double your money...or lose it.

sluox said:
i'm talking about $500,000 and up. (I'm asking this for a friend who just recently quit MDPHD and is now officially selling out)

there are a couple of things
(1) really competitive specialties with bad lifestyle is not in consideration: neurosurg, hair transplant, invasive cardiac care, rads etc
(2) no derm.
(3) preferrably no procedurally oriented specialties like OPTHO, etc

ie, is there a way for a internist in a cognitive specialty, psych, or peds to make $500,000, while not going into management consulting?

(please avoid the i want to help people, not make money rhetoric)

Please explain how rads is a 'really competitive specialty with a bad lifestyle'

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
tludy said:
you don't need 200-500 to buy a plane. single engines can be found very inexpensive, i'm in alaska and know many people that own with middle/upper incomes.

Maintenance and insurance will get ya though.

sluox said:
i'm talking about $500,000 and up. (I'm asking this for a friend who just recently quit MDPHD and is now officially selling out)

there are a couple of things
(1) really competitive specialties with bad lifestyle is not in consideration: neurosurg, hair transplant, invasive cardiac care, rads etc
(2) no derm.
(3) preferrably no procedurally oriented specialties like OPTHO, etc

ie, is there a way for a internist in a cognitive specialty, psych, or peds to make $500,000, while not going into management consulting?

(please avoid the i want to help people, not make money rhetoric)

Not to disregard your last statement but I really would reconsider medicine if making mass amounts of money is high priority. There are a lot of different fields out there that can revenue more money than that of a physician's.

Secondly, although you quickly discounted numerous specialties in your list, if you are seriously considering medicine for all the right reasons, then you have no clue of what you're going to end up going into in the end. It could very well be some of the "no go" specialties you designated on your list (btw, rads has an excellent lifestyle as does plastics). It is not until your final two years that you will realize what you like and wish to get into. So, without the strong motivation (not just financial) to join a field that constantly challanges your cerebral and physical capabilites - I would not recommend that you jump into medical school for the money.

And to fully answer your question in regards to the psych, peds, and internist revenuing over 500K - yeah - that's not happening. The income of a physician is very proportionate to the amount of procedures he does. Hence, the specialities you named above have little to no procedure work. I highly doubt you'll get rich quick with them.

tludy said:
you don't need 200-500 to buy a plane. single engines can be found very inexpensive, i'm in alaska and know many people that own with middle/upper incomes.

same story in michigan. i know people who certainly aren't rich who own small planes & ultralights (1-4 people max).