Is there a way to rub my acceptances into a persons face who picked on me in HS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it wrong of me to have a strong urge to rub the fact that I will be going to medical school in the faces of those people who made fun of me constantly during high school? (This was not just teasing, it was constant torture)

I was just wondering whether there were any good suggestions about how to go about rubbing this in. (He dropped out of college and is working at a "Big Box Store" BTW)

Chances are they won't care any more then they did back then. And by trying to rub things in you are showing utterly insecure as a person.

You want to show success, why don't you worry about your self rather then what other people did.

Members don't see this ad.

All the girls at my high school refused to date me. Should I send them hateful text messages explaining that I will soon be a doctor making $1.5 mil/year? I want them to cry.

:rolleyes:

Why is everyone assuming that this bully is dumber or will be doing less well than the OP? That's gonna really suck when you try to rub it in his face, and he's just doing something ridiculously more awesome and just laughs at you.

I agree. Most of the popular kids who made fun of me in middle school and elem. school stopped making fun of me in highschool naturallyon their own. Most of them were actually really nice to me in highschool. When I see them now, they are usually nice. Some of them don't even live in Fl. but friended me on myspace and facebook. But generally speaking most of them are happy. they are not necessarily rich or utterly wealthy or with PhDs or MDs or anything, but they are happier with their lives then a lot of medical students and residents I know. They love their jobs and they are doing well for themselves.

I hate when people generalize that nerds will always be successful and that popular people will alwas end up losers and unhappy.

i know several nerds who were far greater losers and far more insecure people. A lot of them are still losers. I also know a lot of pouular kids that are happy with their jobs as teachers or speech pathologists or in finance or other business fields or in the military or other areas.

People need to get over the past and learn from their past rather then use it to empower the idea of an eye for an eye.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Most of the popular kids who made fun of me in middle school and elem. school stopped making fun of me in highschool naturallyon their own. Most of them were actually really nice to me in highschool. When I see them now, they are usually nice. Some of them don't even live in Fl. but friended me on myspace and facebook. But generally speaking most of them are happy. they are not necessarily rich or utterly wealthy or with PhDs or MDs or anything, but they are happier with their lives then a lot of medical students and residents I know. They love their jobs and they are doing well for themselves.

I hate when people generalize that nerds will always be successful and that popular people will alwas end up losers and unhappy.

i know several nerds who were far greater losers and far more insecure people. A lot of them are still losers. I also know a lot of pouular kids that are happy with their jobs as teachers or speech pathologists or in finance or other business fields or in the military or other areas.

People need to get over the past and learn from their past rather then use it to empower the idea of an eye for an eye.

Sort of like this entire thread?

So is it wrong of me to have a strong urge to rub the fact that I will be going to medical school in the faces of those people who made fun of me constantly during high school? (This was not just teasing, it was constant torture)

I was just wondering whether there were any good suggestions about how to go about rubbing this in. (He dropped out of college and is working at a "Big Box Store" BTW)

Yes, it is wrong. Grow up...

Nah, I wouldn't rub it in just yet. You can brag about getting into med school all you want, but just think about how crazy your life is gonna be for the next 7-10 years. If he knows anything about med school/residency, he'll just laugh at you because even though he won't be there to torture you, med school will be.

what would rule is if these bullies came back to rub their dermatology residency certs in OPs face

Sort of like this entire thread?

Wow my response got deleted. :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, it really grates on my nerves when people think that by rubbing in what they consider success they are somehow no longer a loser. I have a news flash for everyone here. bullies exist at all levels of life. elem. school, middle school, highschool, and yes even college, med school, and residency. If anything most people tell me medical school bullying and cliquiness is worse then highschool will ever be. So is attendings and residents pimping medical students worse. And residency will be even worse.

I'm sure this guy won't envy that or your 160,000-250,000+ dollars of debt.

I'm sure he'll think the OP is a greater loser for feeling the need to rub it in his face because it shows how insecure the OP is to feel that's the only way to feel superior to this guy. And in that sense the former bully wins because he still gets to you enough for you to feel that this is what you need to do to validate yourself around him.

Wow my response got deleted. :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, it really grates on my nerves when people think that by rubbing in what they consider success they are somehow no longer a loser. I have a news flash for everyone here. bullies exist at all levels of life. elem. school, middle school, highschool, and yes even college, med school, and residency. If anything most people tell me medical school bullying and cliquiness is worse then highschool will ever be. So is attendings and residents pimping medical students worse. And residency will be even worse.

I'm sure this guy won't envy that or your 160,000-250,000+ dollars of debt.

I'm sure he'll think the OP is a greater loser for feeling the need to rub it in his face because it shows how insecure the OP is to feel that's the only way to feel superior to this guy. And in that sense the former bully wins because he still gets to you enough for you to feel that this is what you need to do to validate yourself around him.

Haha I noticed that too; I did get to read it though! Might have been deleted when the site crashed :laugh:.

I will have to agree with gujuDoc. The fact that this is STILL bothering you means that not only did the bully get his way by making you miserable and seem worthless, but also the fact is, you may be considered a loser still for thinking about it. No offense intended of course, since I do not know you, but whenever a bully strikes we need to overcome their trivial remarks and become even better from the experience. I wish you the best of luck bud, hopefully you'll learn to forgive and grow as a person.

Maybe in 10 more years and you're a plastic surgeon with your own tv show.

You know, I really understand your situation. I know guys can get it bad, but girls can be utterly cruel. It's easy for many people to say "just get over it", because it was probably easy for them (or maybe they've never experienced it) but that does not mean it'll be easier for you.

But I do agree with everyone in that you shouldn't rub the acceptance in his face. why? Because he's a douche bag... you don't want to give him a second of your time. He doesn't deserve anything from you. I do believe karma exists, and it's certainly working its magic. Go to school, do well and graduate. Go see the world, and network with people. Find that wonderful someone you can share your life with and raise intelligent compassionate kids.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but seriously, it's kind of sad that the OP is still thinking about this. Grow up and realize people are bullied all the time in life. Move on and realize there's better things to think about.

I hope this is a troll.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I really understand your situation. I know guys can get it bad, but girls can be utterly cruel. It's easy for many people to say "just get over it", because it was probably easy for them (or maybe they've never experienced it) but that does not mean it'll be easier for you.

But I do agree with everyone in that you shouldn't rub the acceptance in his face. why? Because he's a douche bag... you don't want to give him a second of your time. He doesn't deserve anything from you. I do believe karma exists, and it's certainly working its magic. Go to school, do well and graduate. Go see the world, and network with people. Find that wonderful someone you can share your life with and raise intelligent compassionate kids.

I'd have to disagree. Personally, I said just get over it. I've experienced it for years and years in my life, so could it be that I might have more experience in the situation? Please do not dismiss the comments of others because you view it differently (yet you basically agreed with us?). If you continue to think about it, the bully will still be winning, wether you confront him or not. The whole thing about dealing with a problem is that you can not just say you have a problem and shove it in the corner and expect it to go away, you must actual take the problem and fix it. In this case, it would be forgiving him for his rude behavior and comments and just live your life.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but seriously, it's kind of sad that the OP is still thinking about this. Grow up and realize people are bullied all the time in life. Move on and realize there's better things to think about.

I hope this is a troll.

Idk about that, the majority of his 200+ posts have been decent enough. I think its just the "W00t Med School" phase :D

Originally Posted by Excelsius
Exactly. People not involved in the health field have no idea that it is so difficult to get into medical school.

If this is true then it's a whole new level of insulting that no one thought I would get in.

You may have been accepted to medical school, but you're still at the bottom of the totem pole. Wait until you finish residency before you have the urge to rub things in people's faces. By then, you probably will have forgotten about it anyways.

I'd have to disagree. Personally, I said just get over it. I've experienced it for years and years in my life, so could it be that I might have more experience in the situation? Please do not dismiss the comments of others because you view it differently (yet you basically agreed with us?). If you continue to think about it, the bully will still be winning, wether you confront him or not. The whole thing about dealing with a problem is that you can not just say you have a problem and shove it in the corner and expect it to go away, you must actual take the problem and fix it. In this case, it would be forgiving him for his rude behavior and comments and just live your life.

I'm sorry you understood my message as a dismissal of other people's opinions. I'm sure you could tell this was my opinion to the OP. I didn't tell him to go confront the bully but to essentially just live a better life. I love the fact that so many people believe in the golden rule, "treat people the way you want to be treated". But in reality, how one person wishes to be treated is completely different from how someone else wants to be treated. In this instance, I tailored my response for how I felt the OP would want to be treated. Getting over it to me - sounds like shoving it in the corner. Many people in life are picked on. How each person deals with these events will be different. There isn't a one size fits all solution. More importantly, I'm not telling him to get over it. I'm telling him that his feelings are valid but even though they are valid.. it would be a disservice to confront this person (which would mean there must be another way to deal with the situation). :idea:

ugh...can this thread die already

this thread is still in its death throws because >90% of medical students went into medicine for exactly this reason :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

follow these 7 easy steps and succeed at rubbing it in his face, or your money back:
1) get through med school, become a doctor.
2) open up a clinic near where he lives. Offer free std screenings and physicals.
3) wait for him to show up.
4) tell him he has a terminal disease and only 6 months to live.
5) call him up 5 months later and say you were just kidding. Laugh.
6) ???
7) profit!

lol lol lol i ****ing love south park!

1. Most people that ask questions like this already commit to an action, in this case you probably already decided to go ahead and do it, and are looking for the best way to rub it in his/her face. Fight the urge...it will bring you absolutely no gain. The past is the past and you cannot change it. However you do have 100% control over your future so you can either live in the past or leave it behind and pursue a brighter future.

2. That which you cannot let go of will always have power over you.

Just my $0.02.

I'm sorry you understood my message as a dismissal of other people's opinions. I'm sure you could tell this was my opinion to the OP. I didn't tell him to go confront the bully but to essentially just live a better life. I love the fact that so many people believe in the golden rule, "treat people the way you want to be treated". But in reality, how one person wishes to be treated is completely different from how someone else wants to be treated. In this instance, I tailored my response for how I felt the OP would want to be treated. Getting over it to me - sounds like shoving it in the corner. Many people in life are picked on. How each person deals with these events will be different. There isn't a one size fits all solution. More importantly, I'm not telling him to get over it. I'm telling him that his feelings are valid but even though they are valid.. it would be a disservice to confront this person (which would mean there must be another way to deal with the situation). :idea:
My apologies, I probably shouldn't have assumed should I? Haha. :thumbup:

I think people have made it clear that holding on to this so bitterly is a sign of immaturity. We've hit that ad nauseaum and I agree. However, as future doctors I think we should learn to hear the questions that were asked, and not those that we wish had been asked. The OP asked "Is there a way to rub the acceptances in their face", not "Is it right that I want to do this". Now that we've gotten the requisite scolding out of the way, let's give some good ways to rub it in. At the least it could be cathartic for the OP and all others who've suffered similar torment.

note to the OP: I think it would be best for all involved to keep this to the realm of fantasy, because it will only confirm everything they thought

If you must rub it in, just go to where he works with your short white coat and stethoscope around your neck and say "Hey... don't I know you from high school?" Just wait until you're an attending somewhere and go to your high school reunion, that way your white coat will be longer.

OP's an idiot. I probably picked on you in HS. Stop being a bitch about it.

Success is the best revenge...

Honestly, and I know this may be extreme, but by rubbing this in said bully's face you've only given him the UlTIMATE victory. That is, you have allowed the sophomoric antics of one individual pretty much dictate your life. It seems as though your pursuit of becoming a doctor hinged upon you being able to exact revenge.

Essentially he owns this accomplishment, and as long as you continue to harbor these sentiments he will always own YOUR accomplishments.

So you will go through your life with this "I'll show him" mentality until you realize nothing you've accomplished will be yours to savor.

This will lead into a horrible wake up call in regards to how much of your life you wasted. This could change your mind about medicine and thereby have epic repercussions for not only you but your family, patients, employees, etc. In that case you would be the loser and he would win even after all those years.

I say all that to say, as my buddies would put it, Grow a pair and move on! :)

A few years ago I was at my wife's high school class reunion from the class of 70something. We were seated at a table with her friends from the day. There were 5 Doctoral degrees and a Pulitzer prize to the credit of the group. The "popular" people were seated at an adjacent table and were acting exactly like they did in high school. One of the doctoral degrees commented that the only thing that changed from the old days was that she no longer cared about how they acted or what they thought of her.

One of the BP did come over to tell us that he was a personal financial planner. I asked him "Oh, What insurance company do you represent".

Success is the best revenge...
I agree with this; however, I think you need to give sakondbest a break. As someone who is older but wiser I understand how much those earlier experiences can profoundly impact you. By the way, my husband is a physician and when he received his medical school acceptance, he mailed a copy to his high school counselor who had told him he wasn't bright enough to be a doc and should think about community college (he actually graduated summa cum laude).

I also liked how Michael Phelps (Olympics) handled his former high school tormentors who were vicious in making fun of him and how he looked. At one of his swim meets, one of his former bullies came up to him and said, remember me, we were in class together...congrats. Michael politely looked at him and said sorry, I don't remember you, accepted his congrats, and moved on. He admitted later that he knew who the guy was but that was probably a great way to get revenge in a classy way.

Also, people with this issue may want to watch the movie Invincible. If you haven't seen it: it is a true story about a guy whose dream was to be a pro football player. His ex-wife dumped him and left him a note saying he would never amount to anything. I think that fueled his determination for success.

A few years ago I was at my wife's high school class reunion from the class of 70something. We were seated at a table with her friends from the day. There were 5 Doctoral degrees and a Pulitzer prize to the credit of the group. The "popular" people were seated at an adjacent table and were acting exactly like they did in high school. One of the doctoral degrees commented that the only thing that changed from the old days was that she no longer cared about how they acted or what they thought of her.

One of the BP did come over to tell us that he was a personal financial planner. I asked him "Oh, What insurance company do you represent".

Actually fee based certified financial planners provide a very valuable service to the public. And term life insurance is an excellent estate planning tool, particularly for families with minor children where one parent makes the bulk of the income, i.e. the families of most physicians.

I agree with this; however, I think you need to give sakondbest a break. As someone who is older but wiser I understand how much those earlier experiences can profoundly impact you. By the way, my husband is a physician and when he received his medical school acceptance, he mailed a copy to his high school counselor who had told him he wasn't bright enough to be a doc and should think about community college (he actually graduated summa cum laude).

I also liked how Michael Phelps (Olympics) handled his former high school tormentors who were vicious in making fun of him and how he looked. At one of his swim meets, one of his former bullies came up to him and said, remember me, we were in class together...congrats. Michael politely looked at him and said sorry, I don't remember you, accepted his congrats, and moved on. He admitted later that he knew who the guy was but that was probably a great way to get revenge in a classy way.

Also, people with this issue may want to watch the movie Invincible. If you haven't seen it: it is a true story about a guy whose dream was to be a pro football player. His ex-wife dumped him and left him a note saying he would never amount to anything. I think that fueled his determination for success.

Haha that's classic.

A lot of people seem to always come up to me who knew me in highschool. Its odd cuz I really don't remember half of those people but they seem to remember my face for some reason. But the popular kids who were once really mean to me all became nice in those 4 years in HS and were mean more in Middle school and elem. Its all good now though.

doubt =/= bullying. People bully for a variety of reasons. Most of the time, its just what young, immature kids do. He's not "proving anything" to the bully by getting accepted to medical school. If anything, it might just reinforce his nerdy/dorky character which may have been the reason he was picked on in the first place (not saying it was his fault). I can understand that it may have been emotionally scarring but once you have overcome an obstacle--any obstacle--its time to move on. If you still are having problems dealing with these kind of issues, I suggest you seek help.

I'm sorry but I find it ironic that so many people posting on here have said they were picked on growing up, it probably has something to do with the demographics of the pre-med population...

uh..WHAT? I dont get you guys. How is that classy? That is plain ol stupid infantile and dumb.
Dude this may sound cheesy, but the best form of 'revenge' or whatever u wanna call it is to FORGET ABOUT IT AND MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE. If you have to do something to the other person (that has prob forgotten about whatever bullying occured), then YOU still have issues and you're the one gettin the worst end of the deal!!
Sheesh guys GROW UP!!!!

Follow these 7 easy steps and succeed at rubbing it in his face, or your money back:
1) Get through med school, become a doctor.
2) Open up a clinic near where he lives. Offer free STD screenings and physicals.
3) Wait for him to show up.
4) Tell him he has a terminal disease and only 6 months to live.
5) Call him up 5 months later and say you were just kidding. Laugh.
6) ???
7) Profit!

8) Epilogue: the next week he sues you and takes all your money.
9) Post-mortem: your wife takes whatever else you have left, gets the kids, and you end up with alimony payments while carrying a big black suitcase full of Viagra and Cialis trying to sell them to doctors' offices throughout your county.

The theme and the moral of the story: ______________________ (multiple choice)

Success itself is the best revenge; don't do anything. Children can be mean, but people do change. I doubt he is the "same" person who picked on you as a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.