1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is there a word limit on the essay?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by savvysearch, Sep 6, 2002.

1. savvysearch

savvysearch Senior Member

I was thinking of typing as small as possible and then going to kinkos to have it transfered on to the Aadsas sheet in very small print. Can I do this or is there a word limit. Someone told me it was 1000 words, but I can't see that anywhere in the Aadsas booklet.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    Yes, there is a character limit if you are using the web-based application. I believe the max characters allowed is 6,000. This translates to around a 1,000 words, however depending on the size of you vocabulary you use it may be more or less. I had 1,005 words on my essay, but there was enough room for at least a paragraph or maybe two more. But the recommended length is 1,000 words max.

Hope this helps,

DesiDentist

4. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member

Yeah, I used the AADSAS-on-the-web application. Even though it says 1000 words allowed. I was only allowed to fit ~960 words (from MS word)

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    But 6,000 characters, no doubt.

6. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    It seems like you are thinking of sending your app via mail. If you are you can't make your font smaller since there is a limit I think it is 10 or 12. I think it is 12. If you make it soo small that they can't read it, it is worthless.

You say, oh I will mess around with the margins. Sorry, there is a 1" margin requirment as well on all sides.

Also the web application has no fonts, it is just like a field like the one I am typing this answer right now. So all the nice creative fonts you might think ADEA might have is just a false illusion.

DesiDentist

7. savvysearch

Thanks for the responses! Although I am doing the written application not the web application and I think the rules may be different.

8. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    If you can't write a fabulous statement using a 12 point font and have it fit into the allotted space, then you are doing something wrong.

Further, the majority of committees don't read your entire essay. The essay is simply too long to read the entire thing for each applicant. Many will just read the first and last paragraphs. Shrinking the font to get more words onto the space is actually the opposite of what you ought to be doing. A 500-word essay that is complete and entertaining will always look good to the tired eyes of a committee member.

9. savvysearch

Thanks for the advice. Im trying to write it as short as possible which is a must for readers not to get bored.