is there any special constraints for the esophagus with varices ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kroll2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues,

would you consider any special constraints to the esophagus in a patient with secondary esophageal varices to portal hypertension? for example when treating a T3N+ subglottic squamous cell carcinoma with concomitant chemo-radiation.

Ty

Members don't see this ad.

Dear colleagues,

would you consider any special constraints to the esophagus in a patient with secondary esophageal varices to portal hypertension? for example when treating a T3N+ subglottic squamous cell carcinoma with concomitant chemo-radiation.

Ty

Not really. If their varices are big enough your asking I’d be more worried about them having enough reserve to bounce back

Reactions: 1 users
I don't. Bleeding varices are most common in the caudal portion of the esophagus, anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dear colleagues,

Ty
No.

Agree with others, that no I would not change my constraints for varices. Agree that most are thoracic or close to GEJ and likely out of your H&N RT field.