Is there anything else you'd like to say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skoaner

Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always get this question right before we're done and I'm always at a loss of words. Any good ideas or suggestions. I feel my application paints a fairly vivid picture of who I am and what I've done and the interview is to add color or touch up certain areas. It seems to me this question is for some sort of revalation that you've had since you wrote the application or some information you forgot.

On another note.. For those of you who have interviewed a lot, do you ever feel like what you say is cliche because you've repeated it 14 times already? I'm starting to feel bad about some of the amazing thigns I've done because it feels like I'm riding those and not making any new ground. It's hard to make any ground with the application process being so nerve wracking. Oh well, any comments would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My question was "is there anything else you'd like me to convey to the admissions committee?"

I reaffirmed that the school I was interviewing at was my first choice, how comfortable and at home I felt in the city in which it was located, and pointed out the improvement in my GPA and MCAT scores and how they fit into my hardworking nature.

Accepted 2 weeks later.

skoaner said:
I always get this question right before we're done and I'm always at a loss of words. Any good ideas or suggestions. I feel my application paints a fairly vivid picture of who I am and what I've done and the interview is to add color or touch up certain areas. It seems to me this question is for some sort of revalation that you've had since you wrote the application or some information you forgot.

On another note.. For those of you who have interviewed a lot, do you ever feel like what you say is cliche because you've repeated it 14 times already? I'm starting to feel bad about some of the amazing thigns I've done because it feels like I'm riding those and not making any new ground. It's hard to make any ground with the application process being so nerve wracking. Oh well, any comments would be appreciated.

I totally hear you. I get asked this question at the end of every single interview. At NYMC (my first interview), the interviewer asked, "is there anything you want to tell me?" I paused for 15 seconds and replied, "No." I felt really bad after that interview, so now when I get asked the question, I usually sum up my strengths and my background.

Still, I never felt comfortable ending an interview.

skoaner said:

Members don't see this ad :)
I do student interviews at my med school and like to ask this question as well. My reasoning is simply to give the interviewee a chance to tell me anything I might have missed asking them about. Especially since the student interviews are "blind" (we know nothing about the interviewee), there may be something really interesting that I didn't ask about that the person may want to tell me. Don't stress over this questions. It's not meant to be a test. Hope that helps :)

skoaner said:
I always get this question right before we're done and I'm always at a loss of words. Any good ideas or suggestions.

Just look them in the eye and say "Why? What have you heard? Lies... all lies I tell you!" and then storm out. At least they will remember you. :laugh:

I was asked this at my first interview. Let me set the scene first:

It's the first of two interviews for the day and so far, things aren't going well. The interviewer tells me why I should want a PhD considering how much emphasis I placed on research, tells me medicine probably isn't the best for me, then proceeds to tell me that Boston is really a tough place to live coming from the Southwest.........basically spends the entire interview telling me why everything in my application doesn't fit with the school.

Then, he asks me if there is anything else I'd like to say:

Me: "Only if you actually want to hear about it!"

I couldn't believe I said it.