Is there anything positive to say about CCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wasabi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, the subject says it all.

Is there anything positive to say about Midwestern's Downers Grove campus?

I'm seriously considering this school because I would like to stay around the Chicagoland area, but I have some doubts about the program and such. Recently, one of my friends decided to leave CCOM after attending one year because she disliked the environment and the classes. Does anyone feel the same way? Or does anyone believe that the pros outweigh the cons?

Please, if anyone is a current CCOM student or has applied to CCOM recently, I would really appreciate your input!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

well, why don't you tell me some of the negative things they had to say about CCOM and i will be more then happy to address them.

Hi Ebola95!

Well, after posting my original message, I did a little search about the school on the SDN forum and discovered a lot of good information about the school. One of my major concerns was if CCOM offered opportunities in fields other than primary care, but after reading various threads of the past, I realized that it is possible to make other choices than primary care.

Well, one thing that I'm still curious about is the Downers Grove area. How is it like living around there? Do you suggest living in the dorms or is it nicer to live in a nearby apartment?

Hehe, I'm sorry if I'm flooding you with many questions. :) I guess since the MCATs are over for me, I should find some time to visit the campus and gather more information from current students, etc.

Anyways, thank you for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to wait for Ebola to answer. I know he will have good things to say. I will add to his response when I find the time.

MS4 CCOM

Uh huh. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about CCOM. DOatc is a resourceful chap too.

i must change my tag line...

Johan Aasbo
(now an) MS4

Yes, there are positive things about CCOM. You'll get better information from Johan, John, and the other current CCOM students, but I'll add my perspective.

I was invited to interview at 7 osteopathic schools this past year, interviewed at 6, and was accepted to 6. As soon as I interviewed at CCOM, it became clear that this was my top choice in school.

You'll learn a lot about each school while you interview this year, and also be able to tell where you fit in. The schools' differences and strengths come up during the tours and interviews. Keep an open mind.

To specifically address your question about what is positive with CCOM:

I made a list of what things were important to me in a medical school. Things like class size, residency placements, reputation, years established, board passage rate, atmosphere/conversations I had with the students and faculty during interview & tour, clinical affiliations, and the opportunities available at the school to do the type of work/goals I wanted, etc. I then compared each school on these items.

Everybody has their own priorities, and I don't mean to suggest CCOM is for everyone, or that it is a perfect school. If you do not want to attend CCOM for anything other than its location, you shouldn't. Go somewhere that fits with your goals, so you don't drop out like your friend. Figure out what is most important to you, then look at those things while you interview. For me, there was no comparison to CCOM.

I made a list of what things were important to me in a medical school. Things like class size, residency placements, reputation, years established, board passage rate, atmosphere/conversations I had with the students and faculty during interview & tour, clinical affiliations, and the opportunities available at the school to do the type of work/goals I wanted, etc. I then compared each school on these items.

Dagny,

This is a great idea, especially for anyone who is planning to apply to many schools this year. I will definitely take your advice and plan a visit the school very soon.

Thanks all.

Wasabi, I live less than 10 minutes from the campus, and the area is actually very beautiful. The campus is located in a very affluent area and is a beautiful campus. I have seen several other medical schools and I can assure you that CCOM would be a great location if you don't mind the suburban atmosphere. You are already in Chicago so take a drive out there and see if it fits your goals, in terms of location. The program ranks amongst the top D.O. schools in the country and the residency matches are great for D.O. and M.D., which leaves options open for the future. Good luck.

sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you on your questions...but i am glad to see so many of the CCOM'ers stepping up and answering your ?'s....

hhhmmmmm, you were asking about the dorms vs the LLC...i have to admit that i am a bit slanted b/c i am going to be an RA in the LLC (so you can see which way i am leaning) but i lived in the LLC last year also....the rooms are a bit smaller, but you have AC (which all my friends in the dorms said was worth it right there!) but it is really only hot for the first 3-4 weeks (nothing a few extra fans can't handle) and the last few weeks (when it finally warms up in the spring)

--> ultimately, it comes down to you....you are going to sleep in that room (for me, it was my little escape, i had a TV, VCR, stereo, a few electronic pets, lightsabers, and toys, ETC) but i was elsewhere studying and going to class...so it really does not matter unless you plan on sleeping most of the classes away (and i tried this for a week or two, i don't suggest it!)--you can make do in either one....living off campus has its pluses and minuses (same as during undergrad) i miss not cooking for myself, but you are going to meet so many people and friends who live off campus, you can always go there to eat or get away from campus if you need to (our little group of friends try to have dinner together once a week or so just to get away from school for alittle bit)

as far as primary care?....DO YOU WANT TO DO PRIMARY CARE? then go for it...DO YOU WANT TO SUB-SPECIALIZE? go for it....you can do whatever you want to do....and i always thought that the guys who told me the following were crazy but i am going to tell you :

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT JUST YET!

you are going to chance your mind a million times about what you want to do, what you like and waht you don;t like (i hope that the current 3rd and 4th years can back me up on that one) as far as specialties....make your focus on getting a firm grasp on the concepts, the basics, and the OMM basics (for the love of @!#$^ learn how to name movement of the bones and dysfunctions!!! you'll save yourself a lot of headache if you get that down right off the bat)...everything else is going to fall into place in due time...

well, that is my two cents....i am open to some feedback from anyone....

John

I heard the dorms are full for next year. Do the students who live off-campus have a harder time getting to know people?!