Is there hope? Partner needing any and all advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwtpeditw

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am seeking any and all help for my partner who is currently applying to a four year college to start Pre-Med. I have posted a thread once before (you guys are awesome and helpful) but sadly this new information has come to light. I have been updated on the situation and I have found out his GPA is currently a total of 3.03. It turns out the Nursing class he got a 74.5 in which failed the program was posted in his transcript as a D and not a C like we mistakenly thought. (You needed to pass every class with atleast a 75 and that one class he got a 74.5 in so he was dropped from the ADN program.)

I don't want to repeat too much from my older post as this will be very long haha, but he was outed as being gay in front of his teachers and went from being the top student in the class to discriminated against and treated very obviously differently (graded differently, unfriended by all the teachers on Facebook, etc). He was told not to bother appealing and the class was told that he quit and moved away, he didn't feel he could pursue it and now wants to put it all behind him and get better. He has now moved in with my family.

Some background: My partner lived in Georgia near the Alabama border, went to school in Alabama, family very low income with his dad working a hard manual labor job and his mother wheelchair bound with severe psychiatric and physical disabilities. He had to do all the cooking, cleaning, take care of finances, shopping, everything. We had a long distance relationship where we barely got to talk and the environment was toxic. He was given some (bad) advice about loans and his family couldn't afford gas money so he thought he would never be able to be a physician, he went to nursing school to help support his family and still be able to be in the medical field. Went to the closest community college on financial assistance and still had to take out loans. Wasn't able to begin Nursing until 23 because the requirements in Alabama were really extensive even though he started college right out of high school and didn't have choice of schools.

His grandfather was a third year medical student before he got drafted and had to serve the country and wasn't able to follow his dream of being a doctor, my partner was essentially his grandparents home hospice care and was always interested by his grandpas medical journals and stories. My partner had to spend all his spare time giving care to his grandparents in their final years while his mom was in prison from his age 12-16, his grandfather passed during that time and his grandmother a year later. He reached almost 500 lbs in his teens (but has now dropped almost 250 and is doing very well!). Many of those things are what have lead him down the path of wanting to go to medical school. Hope this is not too much information haha.

He still has to take all the prerequisites and now that he is out of that environment we can begin the volunteering, shadowing, MCAT studying, research, and getting clinical experience. I know this will take a few years of hard work or more and we are prepared for it, I know he would regret not trying. How do we word this situation with his GPA without it sounding like an excuse if he were end up applying to medical school? Does he still have a shot at MD school if he rocks these next few years with a current 3.0 GPA and a D on his record? (any is fine we aren't aiming for top 20). Now that he's finally in a safe environment we really want to give him this shot.

Thank you! This community is AWESOME. I really appreciate this resource. I hope I posted this in the right forum, if not I apologize. (Edit for spelling mistakes haha.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You just explain he was having a hard time/family issues and is doing better now. Many med schools give slack for bad years if you prove yourself. It is important he shows his academic prowess these upcoming years.

Reactions: 1 user
You just explain he was having a hard time/family issues and is doing better now. Many med schools give slack for bad years if you prove yourself. It is important he shows his academic prowess these upcoming years.
Thank you jarednogeek, I really appreciate that. :) That is great to hear. He is definitely willing to prove himself and work hard, we are committed to this path and supporting him. Thanks for helping us cheer him on and not let this get him down.

Reactions: 1 user