Is there hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORamahiii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was dumb my freshman year. I got a 2.38 first semester and a 2.95 second semester. I since then got my act together and pulled a 3.7 this fall semester. I know I can also do it next semester because I know what I'm doing but my first year combined to be a total of a 2.72. I was wondering if I completely screwed myself freshman year because I did so poorly. I know I will be able to at least get a 3.5 each semester till the end of junior year so I have 3 semesters left because I won't let myself do worse but I was wondering if dental schools will understand. My science class grades are:
Chem 1: C+
Chem 2: C+
Calc 1: D
Calc 1 part a retake: B
Calc 1 part b retake: B
GOT MY STUFF TOGETHER
Bio 1: A-
Organic Chem 1: A
Physics: B
Bio 2: A
Stats 1: A

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I think you'll be fine. People make mistakes. Keep the trend going, don't fizzle out!!

Reactions: 3 users
Continue with the As and you'll be fine

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You think I'll be able to apply by end of junior year if I continue doing what I'm doing and staying on an upward trend.. I just don't know how they'll know like I messed up my freshman year.. it's just gonna bring down my GPA so hard and I feel like they won't even notice me because how bad my freshman year was..

Consider taking a gap year so you can also factor in your grades from senior year.

@Rekker I was considering it because I'm nervous I won't be where I want to be by then but I was hoping they would notice a 3.7+ consistent GPA trend after my freshman year that I wouldn't actually have to consider it..

You have a ton of semesters left to fix your GPA but you need to be determined to make majority A's next semester/take summer school or it's gonna be a lot of time investment and money to make reprimands the further you get into your undergrad. Assess your situation at the end of the junior year and see whether a gap year is needed or you have a pretty decent GPA and just need to perform well on the DAT. Keep going with extracurriculurs as they can only help your app at any point. Schools definitely look at upward trends in a positive light but at the end of the day that can only compensate so much for someone if their GPA still isn't decent.

Edit: you might need a gap year to do some extra semesters cause 3/3.5 semesters isn't too many to significantly boost your GPA

Reactions: 1 user
@Rekker I was considering it because I'm nervous I won't be where I want to be by then but I was hoping they would notice a 3.7+ consistent GPA trend after my freshman year that I wouldn't actually have to consider it..
It depends on what your GPA is like by the end of junior year. When you apply you list all of your courses and your grades, so if adcoms look at your application (assuming the GPA is somewhat decent) then they will see an upward trend.

I was in a similar situation to you except I didn't fix my mistakes until after sophomore year, so you are much better off. I knew my GPA wasn't going to be that competitive unless I factored in good grades from senior year. I ended up working my tail off junior and senior year, and then worked hard to score well on the DAT.

I'll definitely keep the ECs up for sure! I'm a sophomore right now and I'm hoping for a 3.7 as well next semester and I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem with that! I was thinking of taking the DAT a this summer because I'll be able to really sit down and crank it out. I'm also taking genetics this summer for 5 weeks! I'll have my ECs, LORs, volunteer hours and shadowing hours (150+) by the time I apply! Should I not take the DAT this summer and sit and focus on my GPA or if I get 3 more semesters of a 3.7+ hopefully be enough to boost my GPA enough by junior year? I really appreciate the help guys and I really know what I'm doing now!

Yeah that's the goal @Rekker ! How did you do throughout undergrad? And what was your trend ?

I'll definitely keep the ECs up for sure! I'm a sophomore right now and I'm hoping for a 3.7 as well next semester and I'm pretty sure I won't have a problem with that! I was thinking of taking the DAT a this summer because I'll be able to really sit down and crank it out. I'm also taking genetics this summer for 5 weeks! I'll have my ECs, LORs, volunteer hours and shadowing hours (150+) by the time I apply! Should I not take the DAT this summer and sit and focus on my GPA or if I get 3 more semesters of a 3.7+ hopefully be enough to boost my GPA enough by junior year? I really appreciate the help guys and I really know what I'm doing now!
From personal experience, I've seen many people with okay DAT's but competitive GPAs get several interviews and eventually land acceptances. Not saying dat isn't important ... it definitely is. But, a strong GPA still is a big deal to adcoms and sometimes even enough of a big deal to make up for a meh DAT score. So my advice would be to focus and focus on your GPA and then take a couple months off sometime after you have a good handle on your GPA (and before the app of your given cycle opens) to kill the DAT.

I mean @RS2224 my GPA isn't going to be that bad jeez.. I ended freshman year with a 2.72 and am only on an upward trend.. I'm hoping a good DAT, extra curricular a and 4 semesters plus 1 summer class of 3.7+ will do the trick lol

Yeah that's the goal @Rekker ! How did you do throughout undergrad? And what was your trend ?
After sophomore year I had a 3.0/2.9 sGPA. I kept a 4.0 throughout junior and senior year to finish with a 3.5/3.5 sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean @RS2224 my GPA isn't going to be that bad jeez.. I ended freshman year with a 2.72 and am only on an upward trend.. I'm hoping a good DAT, extra curricular a and 4 semesters plus 1 summer class of 3.7+ will do the trick lol
Yeah but I'm telling you to hope for the best and prepare for the worst cause we're only talking about hypothetical best case scenarios without taking into reality the difficulty/challenges of daily life/ some upper level science classes. I'm sure you'll do great but all I said is that it doesn't ever hurt to take a gap year to improve a decent GPA to a good GPA.

After sophomore year I had a 3.0/2.9 sGPA. I kept a 4.0 throughout junior and senior year to finish with a 3.5/3.5 sGPA.

Great work!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Okay but back to my question ! IS THERE HOPE

Dude you're still in your second year, you have 2+ years to fix your freshman screw up...try not to rage too hard for the rest of college and you should be alright

Reactions: 3 users
There's hope. Focus on your GPA first and foremost before focusing on the DAT. Aim for 4.0s not 3.7s. You have some work ahead of you, but there's definitely hope.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hahaha that's what I like to hear! Luh u guys :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be aiming for them 4.0s

I'll be aiming for them 4.0s

In a way, when you get interviews you could talk about the change. How you realized the true work it takes to succeed and all that jazz.

Always, there is hope as long as you dont give up

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile