Is there something like BMT fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drno3man

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a PGY-2 IM resident. I have been reading about hem/onc fellowship applications and programs. I see a lot of places are stronger in a field than others. So my question is:
Let's say I finished my hem/onc training from a place where BMT was not that strong and I wanted to get more clinical exposure to it before hitting practice. Is there something called BMT fellowship. Or Leukemia or Lymphoma or others. Just to solidify the person's training in case that's the field he/she wanted to practice in but ended up in a program that didn't provide enough exposure to it?
Appreciate your input

Members don't see this ad.

Yes - many BMT departments in the USA will ask candidates who did not train at strong BMT centers to do 6 to 12 months of lower-paid fellowship time before they would consider hiring them as full faculty. It all depends on the context. Keep in mind also, that you don't need to complete 3 years of hematology/oncology to do BMT - some people voluntarily end their heme/onc fellowship at year 2 and go straight into BMT.