Is this a bad excuse for a W on my transcript?

Started by Tonymel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tonymel

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

My primary undergrad institution was UCLA. After I graduated, I took a few pre-reqs at two different CC's. I took Medical Terminology at one college and I initially got a W for that class because I mixed up some deadlines and missed an online midterm. I dropped the class because of that and took it again this summer and got an A. For the other W, I initially signed up for Physiology at a CC. I planned to take it Summer 2018 but I ended up getting a job as a PT Tech. Because of this, I ended up just working last summer and decided not to take the class. I received an email that stated that I would be dropped from the class if I didn't attend the first two lectures. For some reason, I thought I just wouldn't attend the first two lectures and that would drop me from the class the first week. It turned out that I was never dropped from the class early on and was enrolled throughout most of the term. I ended up getting a W because of this late drop. I retook the class while working as a tech the following semester and got an A.

These are the only two W's I have on my transcript. I have to explain these W's for some schools. Do you guys think they will hurt my chances or is it not too big of a deal?
 
I would not explain the reason as "mixed up some deadlines and missed an online midterm." (Say something like family/health emergency, needed money so had to choose to work more hours instead of finishing the class, etc.) The 2nd explanation is fine, I think.