Is this a clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stuck on CCL2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I work in translational research as a clinical study coordinator and a research assistant. This is actually where I discovered my love for patient interaction (going in with doctors to visit their patients for recruitment purposes, etc...) I was mostly wondering if my duties as a study coordinator would be considered clinical experience. These include subject recruitment, consenting, patient/subject transport, communicating with staff and overseeing procedures such as unit draws or scans. Most of these happen in a clinic setting at my local academic hospital.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You have direct contact with them and interact with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are "patients" according to your description and you are in their close proximity. If these were everyday folks being recruited as "normal controls" or for a study in psychology, physiology, etc, then no.
So OP's example is clinical experience?

vs., say being a receptionist at a clinic, in which case simply checking in patients to appointments and doing secretarial duties =/= clinical experience, correct?

They are "patients" according to your description and you are in their close proximity. If these were everyday folks being recruited as "normal controls" or for a study in psychology, physiology, etc, then no.

Thanks for the replies! And thanks @LizzyM for the insight. From what you said, it seems half of my encounters would just be filed under research. Either way both clinical and research experiences can't hurt.

So OP's example is clinical experience?

vs., say being a receptionist at a clinic, in which case simply checking in patients to appointments and doing secretarial duties =/= clinical experience, correct?

The receptionist at a clinic is on the front lines. The people with whom the receptionist interacts are patients. There are issues of privacy to deal with, there are issues dealing with patients who are distraught, in pain, angry, frustrated, anxious. I give receptionists the benefit of the doubt when the interactions they have are with patients. Ditto volunteers in child life who are playing video games and hanging out with sick kids. I count that as clinical experience. Same goes for people pushing wheelchairs from here to there if the person in the wheelchair is a patient.

Reactions: 2 users