Is this a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slarveson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was scheduled to take the MCAT for June 16th but am not ready for it quite yet. I would probably get a 28 if I took it right now but I theink I can get atleast a 30 if not a 32-34 if I take it on July 28th so I switched the time to then. However, I realize that applying as early as you can is somewhat of a big deal so is it worth it to wait? I would take it a little sooner than July 28th but every place to take it before then is far away from home. Anyway, I'm somewhat commited now to take it July 28th and I plan on having everything ready to submit as soon as I get my score back.

My concern is that I will lessen my chances but by how much do you think? If I score a 30+ and have a 3.39 cummulative GPA (although its a 3.7+ over the past 5 years...last two of accounting degree and I've taken 70ish credits of pre-med since then) and a 3.7+ Science GPA (would be a 3.9ish if it weren't for a C in Geology in 2002) then how much do you think it lessens my chances rather than getting a 27-28ish and applying a month and a half earlier?

Also, I'm a bit concerned because I have two withdraws (W's) in 2008 and I haven't taken full loads in the majority of my semesters. Any comments would be appreciated because Im a bit worried about all this. Im 32 and need to get on with life ya know?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the response...yeah I plan on having everything ready to go by the time I get my score back.

I pushed my MCAT date back last year from May until July 7th. Once I got everything together I was complete in Texas by the end of August. I didn't apply to any schools through AACOMAS until November and I still interviewed at all 3 and I didn't score over a 30, however I didn't interview at any Texas schools. I also have a lower GPA: 3.27o and 3.2s.

Good plan to wait until July. You won't be too far behind everyone and will definitely have better chances with a few points higher MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. I pushed back until July 29th because I don't feel I'm ready. Though the benefits of applying as early as possible are obvious, it's not worth it to me to rush into the mcat when I don't feel ready.

Thanks Colbare...so did you get into any of the schools?