Is this a good Offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With all this in mind - I have a question. What happens when the owner of a PP mill dies (in general/typically)? I’m guessing the office manager (wife) takes over. But how long could that possibly last? What self respecting pod (low bar I know) would keep working for their former pp boss's wife?

BM news got me thinking tonight as I saw a Pp owner that I interviewed with suddenly passed who has multiple associates

Members don't see this ad.

Well this is podiatry so anything is possible, but they would probably try to have it valued and sell to current associates and if they did not agree to buy it they would try to have someone help sell it.

Reactions: 1 user
As for practices for sale I looked up Medical Mavin…it still exists.

How much would you pay for a practice in San Francisco grossing 175K with a nursing home and home visits?

I could not make this stuff up if I tried….only in podiatry could you even try to sell something so pathetic
1597AAAC-C5B4-4C1F-A8A1-DBE27998BADF.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

How much would you pay for a practice in San Francisco grossing 175K with a nursing home and home visits?

I could not make this stuff up if I tried….only in podiatry could you even try to sell something so patheticView attachment 368954.
They forgot the classic tag line - owner working four days a week. Has potential to double income easy for motivated worker!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
It was so long ago, but I remember hearing from others that they usually suggested you get get rid of 1 or more employees to the make numbers work for the salaries they suggested you could make after payments.

I could not make this stuff up if I tried….only in podiatry could you even try to sell something so patheticView attachment 368954.
I have no interest in purchasing a PP. But its always been known never to work with MM but what exactly do they do thats screwed everyone who used their servicve (which internet legend leads me to believe)?

I could not make this stuff up if I tried….only in podiatry could you even try to sell something so pathetic.

I have always been very confused on what exactly those people are selling? Often times the office is leased, so you just have to lease the place, they might leave you some old chairs and old broken X-ray machine... No one is using yellow pages and the only patients you might keep are the long term wound patients and nail patients. So I really do not understand why not spend the money to buy an office and start from scratch or sublease someone else's office? Gross 175k? what is overhead and what is the employee salaries, because whoever is selling might have zero net after all that.

I have always been very confused on what exactly those people are selling? Often times the office is leased, so you just have to lease the place, they might leave you some old chairs and old broken X-ray machine... No one is using yellow pages and the only patients you might keep are the long term wound patients and nail patients. So I really do not understand why not spend the money to buy an office and start from scratch or sublease someone else's office? Gross 175k? what is overhead and what is the employee salaries, because whoever is selling might have zero net after all that.
That's exactly what you're buying: a place known to a few area docs and patients as a foot doc office, some nail pts, some equipment, etc.

C&C practices are valued almost totally on the number of charts / active pts. It's nice to start with a handful of pts per day and not zero.

Heavy surgical practices are all on the talent/rep of the doc... they have almost no value unless it's another same/similar doc coming in.

That's exactly what you're buying: a place known to a few area docs and patients as a foot doc office, some nail pts, some equipment, etc.

C&C practices are valued almost totally on the number of charts / active pts. It's nice to start with a handful of pts per day and not zero.

Heavy surgical practices are all on the talent/rep of the doc... they have almost no value unless it's another same/similar doc coming in.
Have always heard nail patients have more goodwill value.

So sadly these horrible associate jobs make sense in this profession from a purely financial standpoint. Get associates to expand your nail care empire and keep the pay low and flip employees because these patients are so loyal to the practice and care less who the doctor is.

In today's day and age with the internet and other tech doo dads it is better to start from the ground up. I would rather have zero patience than 50 nail Care patients who have been going to the same place for the last 20 years. Buying someone else's patients. If no real estate is involved is a complete waste of time and money. Set up shop across the street or better yet around the corner you don't want the nail Care patients to see your office directly......

You don't want someone else's staff, bad habits, inefficiencies etc. Build from the ground up. It will also make you better equipped to run a business.

Reactions: 2 users
Have always heard nail patients have more goodwill value.

So sadly these horrible associate jobs make sense in this profession from a purely financial standpoint. Get associates to expand your nail care empire and keep the pay low and flip employees because these patients are so loyal to the practice and care less who the doctor is.

They couldn’t care in the slightest who clips their nails for free. They don’t see you as a doctor anyway

• Haha
They couldn’t care in the slightest who clips their nails for free. They don’t see you as a doctor anyway
From a financial aspect, this business model (hire associates to make money because the patients only care about the practice owner and not the nail clippers) is incredible for making quite a LOT of money

Did you start from the ground up or buy out another practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
In today's day and age with the internet and other tech doo dads it is better to start from the ground up. I would rather have zero patience than 50 nail Care patients who have been going to the same place for the last 20 years. Buying someone else's patients. If no real estate is involved is a complete waste of time and money. Set up shop across the street or better yet around the corner you don't want the nail Care patients to see your office directly......

You don't want someone else's staff, bad habits, inefficiencies etc. Build from the ground up. It will also make you better equipped to run a business.
100% agree. And starting new from the ground up means you can charge a new patient visit for anyone and those nail patients if they find a way to your office (and they will). You can also stop doing foot soaking, dremel and lotion.
It's nice to start with a handful of pts per day and not zero.
Not bad to start from zero so at least you know the only way to go is up. Inheriting nail patients gives that false idea that you have a busy practice (hence starting out with more staff than needed).

Reactions: 4 users
...Not bad to start from zero so at least you know the only way to go is up. Inheriting nail patients gives that false idea that you have a busy practice (hence starting out with more staff than needed).
I agree, but some of that depends how much PP exp one has and how much value you might get in the buyout (almost never justifies the ask price).

100% that you want to know how to do everything from make appts to take out trash to autoclave to stock supplies to fix the fax. That can tough get with over-staffing early.

Did you start from the ground up or buy out another practice?
Startup... PM sent. I've looked in to buyouts, some seriously, but the value usually isn't there.

I have seen buyouts work very well, but the valuation between buyer and seller is always tricky.
The buyouts are more viable for someone who is going to a brand new area or someone/group who is ready and wanting to be busy faster.
Startup if usually fine for someone who doesn't mind slow growth or who has some rep/refers in the area already (my case).

Last edited:

One of our groups got bought out by the hospital a few years ago. The story from the owner's side is hilarious. The hospital basically valued nothing except their prime location building during the process but the hospital paid some small amount just to get the deal done. Following this, the local pods were all pissed off because they think there practices are worth crazy money due to "loyal patient base" and "established in the community" when in reality nobody cares about that stuff.

Meanwhile the hospital is thinking "we are established in the community since 1893"

Reactions: 3 users
One of our groups got bought out by the hospital a few years ago. The story from the owner's side is hilarious. The hospital basically valued nothing except their prime location building during the process but the hospital paid some small amount just to get the deal done. Following this, the local pods were all pissed off because they think there practices are worth crazy money due to "loyal patient base" and "established in the community" when in reality nobody cares about that stuff.
Only thing valuable in a practice is if they own the building and it's for sale. This is what banks look at too. Banks want an asset to secure the loan. A new resident can buy a practice if the building is for sale, have down payment and a good credit.
But a lot of practices for sale on PM news do not include the building for sale so no bank will give a loan.

Only thing valuable in a practice is if they own the building and it's for sale. This is what banks look at too. Banks want an asset to secure the loan. A new resident can buy a practice if the building is for sale, have down payment and a good credit.
But a lot of practices for sale on PM news do not include the building for sale so no bank will give a loan.
Yes. This was going to be my best of PM News post today.... decided against the drunk driving ladypod in England (insert meme).

PRACTICE FOR SALE - SOUTHERN NJ

Doctor retiring after 51 years. 2 office locations in Burlington County. Office equipment available. Hospital privileges available. Contact [email protected]

The only reason to be given this guy a call is cuz the building is probably worth something and in good location. I promise you he hasn't updated any equipment in the last 20 years it's all junk and has no value.

51 years of being a podiatrist, this guy has seen it all...

Yes. This was going to be my best of PM News post today.... decided against the drunk driving ladypod in England (insert meme).

Doctor retiring after 51 years. 2 office locations in Burlington County. Office equipment available. Hospital privileges available. Contact [email protected]

The only reason to be given this guy a call is cuz the building is probably worth something and in good location. I promise you he hasn't updated any equipment in the last 20 years it's all junk and has no value.

Hospital privileges for sale?

• Haha

no way that's the doctors email. seeing as he likely has no idea what the internet is.

I was in talks to buy a practice once and the owner wanted 10,000 a month in rent.

This was not in a very nice location.

We walked.

• Wow
How is this offer?

145k base, includes malpractice insurance. Unsure about call/rounding but will have to do it. I get collections of 30% after I meet this threshold where I'm profiting the company, so for example if I cost the practice $200k, I'll start taking home 30% of collections on anything above that. Has anyone had a contract like this before?

How is this offer?

145k base, includes malpractice insurance. Unsure about call/rounding but will have to do it. I get collections of 30% after I meet this threshold where I'm profiting the company, so for example if I cost the practice $200k, I'll start taking home 30% of collections on anything above that. Has anyone had a contract like this before?

This makes no sense. Sounds like you’ll be making 145k indefinitely there.

How is this offer?

Its a weird way of saying it because most practices don't want you to know what costs/expenses are.

Like if you said to me - you can either be (a) on a classic $100K/$300K and then 30% or (b) $100K / $X and then 30% where X would be the cost of the associate/their break even point then I would assume that X will not be that large a number because in general podiatry private practice benefits are meager. My assumption would be that person should kick over to their bonus amount sooner. When I say meager - I mean you routinely read on other forums of people believing they are receiving $50-100K+ in benefits. A private practice associate with no 401k, no CME, no malpractice, no health insurance, etc isn't receiving $50K in benefits. Interestingly, if you read MSG/ortho offers on here a lot of them are based on the idea of paying expenses and then being eat what you kill thereafter (not 30%).

Not sharing costs and expenses obscures the data and favors the owner. You can't control the practice costs.

We've spent a lot of time on here discussing the weirdness of payment structures, percents of collection etc. Pronation probably isn't wrong - the best way to perceive this offer is that you will likely be paid $145K. Learn as much as you can about billing and practice management. Save as much as you can. Continue to apply for jobs elsewhere or work on your business plan for starting your own practice.

A small story I might have shared before. I had the usual terrible contract. There was a period of contractual improvement that was supposed to kick in along the way where I'd be paid at the year before's overall collection rate ie. my current year would be paid at the prior year's collections - expenses percentage. When the time came to determine the amount a family member of the practice tried to explain to me that since technically all the money was spent at the end of the year - the amount was zero. I don't think they actually meant this, but they meant it in the sense that it was sort of a ridiculous/difficult to explain arrangement though they were the ones who had proposed it. I successfully argued a few points - literally by getting a new podiatry chair moved out of the calculations I increased my next year's collections take by almost 2%. Where I'm going with this again is - complication favors the practice. They know what they are spending yearly on staff, bonuses, equipment, depreciation, replacement etc.

How is this offer?

That is a standard PP contract.

You won't take home 30% over 200k collections gross, though... it will be over 400k-600k typically (2-3x base... very substantial range).

Smaller PPs will typically be 100-150k base and 30%. Larger groups or supergroups might do 150-200k guaranteed base and then 30%.

After the first few months, the PP contracts are all effectively 30% to associate (overhead ~50%, and owner takes ~20%).

The things that vary and matter are the following:
-benefits (won't be much, but some are a bit better than others)
-when does the bonus start? 2x base? 2.5x base? 3x base?
-what is the % bonus... 25%, 30%, 35%, 40%, etc?
-is the ownership honest? (80% chance of "no"... 10% chance of "not exactly")
-are the doc(s) decent mentors and do they have learning value, for anything... running an office, clinical style, surgical decisions, etc?
-does the place have the tools for you success? (surplus of pts, good staffing, marketing, good system to learn from, etc)

The last two are important. Don't underestimate them. It's pointless to negotiate good % and start point if the office is slow or cheats you.
If you're a typical grad, you will just take the highest guaranteed base you can find. A few take their desired location. Typical... can't blame em for that.
Personally, a $125k base with 35% over 250k with a good ethical surgical owner and outside partner potential is better than $175k with 30% over 500k with a shady TFP owner that won't give you much/any new skill or growth potential unless you create it yourself. But hey, money talks.

As was mentioned, view it as you make the base and nothing else.
View it as you won't be there too long.
Plan to learn a bit and move on.
There are a million +1 ways for them to screw you from lying about ("miscalculating") your collections to giving you most lesser insured pts to overtly cutting your base or % later on to covertly not counting DME or counting only net DME or skipping your OTC sales or some copays to whatever they can dream up. How would you know, right? There is unfortunately very little reason to pay DPM associates well with the landslide of grads coming out. Any malcontents are easily replaced. Be happily surprised if you find whatever gig you take to be a good job quality or a longer term relationship, but learn coding and billing and your practice style regardless. If it's not too malignant, try to get your cases for boards (or definitely take the files on surgical pts when you leave).

Pro tip: you are profiting the company at collections 2x base ("benefits" are very minimal in PP, as mentioned).
Pro tip 2: they will almost invariably lie or minimize your collections in some form.
Pro tip 3: as said, continue to look for better jobs or plans to start your own.

Last edited:
How is this offer?

My friend - don’t even consider any form of call if there is no stipend. I would not take less than $500 a day. I still can’t fathom why only pods are willing to take free call. And no you do not have to do it

Ask if they’re willing to show you the books so you can examine the finances yourself.
You'll just get some crazy excuse or just downright insult. They can't let you know the spouse's salary is on the payroll.

The reality is this is not a bad base in our horrible job market.

Is it what we deserve? No...that would be 200K and 50-70K worth of benefits, but good luck with that as an associate in our saturated job market.

What makes this better or worse than any other job is if you like the location and the fine details. Will you be working nights and weekends and what are the details of call. Will you be driving all over the place?

Longterm very, very few last as an associate…….I have really only seen it with someone whose spouse makes equal or more than them and they take a role as a non surgical podiatrist or part time podiatrist with limited surgery for a good group of podiatrists who are all partners.

Imagine best case scenario……hiring doctor is honest with your bonus but admits partnership is not on the table. You are making 250K with bonus 3 years out. Here is the problem: one day they could hire 2 more associates and what if you make 160K the following year? Congratulations YOU just built THEIR business. Unless they wanted a partner in the first place, they are stupid not to do something like this with our bad job market. At that point you are back to the same job options: open you own office, stay and potentially keep applying for the limited organizational jobs or good podiatry groups with fair buy ins or take a similar opportunity elsewhere with a job that is likely no better and might require you to move.

Unless this is where you want to live and partnership is on the table in a meaningful way this is a 2-3 year job (5 years max) for you to gain experience to open your own office or apply like crazy to hospitals, MSGs, or podiatry groups that actually offer paths to being a partner……..seems many of those are selling to private equity.

Last edited:
Good news, with some negotiation he bumped the salary to...85K. :rolleyes:

• Haha
My friend - don’t even consider any form of call if there is no stipend. I would not take less than $500 a day. I still can’t fathom why only pods are willing to take free call. And no you do not have to do it

YES.

THIS HAS BEEN MY COMPLAINT/QUESTION IN PODIATRY SINCE I WAS A RESIDENT.
(Sorry for the yelling)

I would ask my attendings what they got paid to take call and they told me some garbage about nothing, ‘but we get to bill the case and then get the patient for f/u in our clinic?!’ Yippee!!
Uhhh, I don’t want that Charcot or ulcer patient in my clinic. Also, Ortho gets anywhere from 1-5k a day just to say they are on call (not counting any procedures or anything like that). I understand they rule the roost but man I’m never taking call unless I’m compensated for it (which is why I’m not on call and never have been outside of residency).
We are a weird profession where we like to work for free and also like to diminish our worth by working for free for hospitals.

Reactions: 5 users
YES.

THIS HAS BEEN MY COMPLAINT/QUESTION IN PODIATRY SINCE I WAS A RESIDENT.
(Sorry for the yelling)

I would ask my attendings what they got paid to take call and they told me some garbage about nothing, ‘but we get to bill the case and then get the patient for f/u in our clinic?!’ Yippee!!
Uhhh, I don’t want that Charcot or ulcer patient in my clinic. Also, Ortho gets anywhere from 1-5k a day just to say they are on call (not counting any procedures or anything like that). I understand they rule the roost but man I’m never taking call unless I’m compensated for it (which is why I’m not on call and never have been outside of residency).
We are a weird profession where we like to work for free and also like to diminish our worth by working for free for hospitals.

Is this how podiatry, which was historically not hospital based, clawed itself into the hospital world? Now it’s just simply a matter of massive over saturation. If you won’t take free call, another 5 desperate pods around you will.

Yep, and this is the problem, which will never ever be fixed as there are always pods lining up for call.

Yep, and this is the problem, which will never ever be fixed as there are always pods lining up for call.
And I don’t know why they do. If you’re making an associate percentage, call is absolutely dreadful pay. Scrubbing cases into midnight and 60% goes to your boss? No thanks.

Even if you do it for 100%, I don’t think it’s worth the toll it takes on your well being. It’s one thing to be an ortho slamming in hip arthroplasties on call for big bucks. But for toe amps and debridements, it is just not worth it. And if you’re in an area with trauma call, not worth the headache and big blocks of time it takes up for those cases. Just my two cents.

I know docs who do 24/7 call year round as the sole pod person for hospitals, I still can’t fathom how they do it.

Last edited:
And I don’t know why they do. If you’re making an associate percentage, call is absolutely dreadful pay. Scrubbing cases into midnight and 60% goes to your boss? No thanks.

How is this not obvious to you? The boss says you take call or go find another job because another sucker is already lined up due to the massive over saturation.

Even if you do it for 100%, I don’t think it’s worth the toll it takes on your well being. I...
The odd ER inpt unstable ankle fx or gas gangrene TMA is sometimes worth the steady flow of ankle sprains, ingrowns, met fx, etc sent to the office. I say this even as owner...

If I were in a big metro or bad payer area, I wouldn't take any call at all... no way. I'd only want them to call me on PKTY.
There is way too much poorly or non-insured DM time waste from the ER.

However, in some locality (good payers + high edu so little DM infections), it does make sense to be available occasionally to ER.
It is not the $ it makes, it's also helping the (surgical) ER foot ankle pts to get what they need without going an hour or more away.
I never guarantee any response, but I tell them they can call me if it's something surgical or an admit decision.
Where I'm at now, the other DPMs are all part time and live/commute an hour or more away... they want the outpt refers but would never come in for the bigger stuff. Therefore, the hospital loves it that they retain those pts/cases for the hospital if I come in, and guess who gets nearly all the ER f/u outpt F&A refers?

I did this when I was at IHS also... I'd be loosely available (if I was in town) when other DPMs were on call so that they didn't have to send the calc fx, ankle fx, etc out. Out there, it was a matter of going 2-4hrs away for those patients to get what they needed, so I helped out on a few if it was beyond the comfort zone of the DPM on call or if the ortho was out of town or maybe a locum not keen on the injury/surgery either. I got noting for that, but I lived in the housing literally across from the hospital, so it wasn't a big deal.

...but yeah, as said, when you're associate, you do what you're told. The junior associates will always take call, consults, wound care, maybe even house calls or nursing homes. I've definitely never seen a boss that will turn down money. :)

The odd ER inpt unstable ankle fx or gas gangrene TMA is sometimes worth the steady flow of ankle sprains, ingrowns, met fx, etc sent to the office. I say this even as owner...

If I were in a big metro or bad payer area, I wouldn't take any call at all... no way. I'd only want them to call me on PKTY.
There is way too much poorly or non-insured DM time waste from the ER.

However, in some locality (good payers + high edu so little DM infections), it does make sense to be available occasionally to ER.
It is not the $ it makes, it's also helping the (surgical) ER foot ankle pts to get what they need without going an hour or more away.
I never guarantee any response, but I tell them they can call me if it's something surgical or an admit decision.
Where I'm at now, the other DPMs are all part time and live/commute an hour or more away... they want the outpt refers but would never come in for the bigger stuff. Therefore, the hospital loves it that they retain those pts/cases for the hospital if I come in, and guess who gets nearly all the ER f/u outpt F&A refers?

I did this when I was at IHS also... I'd be loosely available (if I was in town) when other DPMs were on call so that they didn't have to send the calc fx, ankle fx, etc out. Out there, it was a matter of going 2-4hrs away for those patients to get what they needed, so I helped out on a few if it was beyond the comfort zone of the DPM on call or if the ortho was out of town or maybe a locum not keen on the injury/surgery either. I got noting for that, but I lived in the housing literally across from the hospital, so it wasn't a big deal.

...but yeah, as said, when you're associate, you do what you're told. The junior associates will always take call, consults, wound care, maybe even house calls or nursing homes. I've definitely never seen a boss that will turn down money. :)
What is PKTY?

What is PKTY?
Patient known to you... means you (or maybe your group) have seen them in office regularly, did surgery, etc.
I will always take call for such patients (they saw me for wound and got cellulitis, my Lapidus has suture abscess, my heel pain pt but got Lisfranc fx, etc). ER is supposed to call that doc who already has a relationship first, but they don't always.
If you know the DPMs in your area, it's also good practice to re-route the pts to their prior treating if possible.

Back in Detroit, I'd basically refuse ER calls to see GSW, fractures, infections, etc that were not PKTY... I had enough of my own hassle or uninsured pts... did not need to pick up new ones. There were just too many trainwrecks, so I was happy to leave that to the hospital FTE docs that had official call schedule.

Patient known to you... means you (or maybe your group) have seen them in office regularly, did surgery, etc.
I will always take call for such patients (they saw me for wound and got cellulitis, my Lapidus has suture abscess, my heel pain pt but got Lisfranc fx, etc). ER is supposed to call that doc who already has a relationship first, but they don't always.
If you know the DPMs in your area, it's also good practice to re-route the pts to their prior treating if possible.

Back in Detroit, I'd basically refuse ER calls to see GSW, fractures, infections, etc that were not PKTY... I had enough of my own hassle or uninsured pts... did not need to pick up new ones. There were just too many trainwrecks, so I was happy to leave that to the hospital FTE docs that had official call schedule.
Ah ok I just didn’t know the acronym lol. That’s currently how I function as well.

I remember my first job after residency when they added an infected charcot foot to the end of my schedule that day without telling me (of course this was a Friday) and when I promptly sent her to the ER for admission/IV antibiotics/I&D I got chastised by my mustached pod employer that I should also do her surgery that same night and round on her every day of her admission.

• Haha
  • Wow
I remember my first job after residency when they added an infected charcot foot to the end of my schedule that day without telling me (of course this was a Friday) and when I promptly sent her to the ER for admission/IV antibiotics/I&D I got chastised by my mustached pod employer that I should also do her surgery that same night and round on her every day of her admission.

Was there an on-call podiatrist who took care of that patient?

With all this in mind - I have a question. What happens when the owner of a PP mill dies (in general/typically)? I’m guessing the office manager (wife) takes over. But how long could that possibly last? What self respecting pod (low bar I know) would keep working for their former pp boss's wife?

BM news got me thinking tonight as I saw a Pp owner that I interviewed with suddenly passed who has multiple associates
lmaoo your pic absolutely kills me, is that Cusack from NYCPM??