1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

is this a science course?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by issa, May 16, 2007.

1. issa

issa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i am taking HCR 119 - First Aid: Respding to Emergency. it is a health care course. it Provides knowledge and skills to help sustain life and minimize pain and consequences of injury/illness in an emergency situation. Lectures and hands-on practice of techniques (CPR-AED certification).

is this a science course?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tooth decay

tooth decay science officer
    2+ Year Member

It is an elective health course. However, I do not think it fulfills the science requirements mandated by professional dental or medical schools.

4. dgaillard

dgaillard New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i wouldn't think so. if you count that as science, you might as well count weight training and nutrition classes.

5. Mia305

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    actually AADSAS says to list nutrition classes as "other science" courses

6. dgaillard

dgaillard New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    interesting (and somewhat surprising), but i suppose nutrition can be more "sciency" than the other two, depending on how in-depth the course material is.

i still equate a first aid class to weight training (where anatomy and training techniques are discussed) on the level of science involved and would be highly surprised if it can be considered a science course.

7. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Personally, I don't see why you couldn't if it involves any physiology, anatomy etc which I'm willing to wager it does. I am EMT Basic defib cert and our class had tons of "science" I would probably count it. If it involves things only like calling 9-11 or strapping someone to into a neck brace, then maybe not.
    GO SABRES!!!! -- Sorry, superstition.