Is this a terrible idea? (Class selection advice, please!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

white plum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, SDN! Little question regarding summer semester.

I am currently attending a community college, transferring this Fall. My primary goal right now is to boost my GPA up as high as it can go. I am majoring in Biology.

That being said, I am basically done with all the prereqs I can finish at my community college. For summer semester, I am wrapping up my math, but I figured I could afford a few more credits (to help the GPA, of course). I don't really have any classes I should be taking, so... I decided on taking French. Is this a bad idea? I can't help but feel like I'm cheating by not taking some kind of science-oriented class, or that I am getting kind of fluffy. (Just this past semester I took all electives to fill my prereqs, including one now-in-retrospect-unnecessary literature class).

Help would be very much appreciated! I realize this isn't an earth-shattering decision, but I figured I'd get some second opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, SDN! Little question regarding summer semester.

I am currently attending a community college, transferring this Fall. My primary goal right now is to boost my GPA up as high as it can go. I am majoring in Biology.

That being said, I am basically done with all the prereqs I can finish at my community college. For summer semester, I am wrapping up my math, but I figured I could afford a few more credits (to help the GPA, of course). I don't really have any classes I should be taking, so... I decided on taking French. Is this a bad idea? I can't help but feel like I'm cheating by not taking some kind of science-oriented class, or that I am getting kind of fluffy. (Just this past semester I took all electives to fill my prereqs, including one now-in-retrospect-unnecessary literature class).

Help would be very much appreciated! I realize this isn't an earth-shattering decision, but I figured I'd get some second opinions.

Did you complete the premed prereqs at a community college (chemistry, organic, biology....)? I would highly advise NOT completing premed prereqs at a community college. I have known various applicants who took this route, and it did backfire.

If you did take the premed prereqs I would suggest taking OTHER electives (French, Lit History) for you remaining semester at community college. Then take some SERIOUS science courses (P-chem, Biochem, genetics) at a university.....and ACE the courses.

;)

Did you complete the premed prereqs at a community college (chemistry, organic, biology....)? I would highly advise NOT completing premed prereqs at a community college. I have known various applicants who took this route, and it did backfire.

If you did take the premed prereqs I would suggest taking OTHER electives (French, Lit History) for you remaining semester at community college. Then take some SERIOUS science courses (P-chem, Biochem, genetics) at a university.....and ACE the courses.

;)

I completed the Biology premed prereq at community college, but the rest of the good juicy stuff I am saving for my university. :) I meant that I completed gen-ed prereqs for transferring; I should have been a little more clear (ex. English, Math, etc).

The thing about the French is that it is not a prerequisite for anything. I just needed some more credits to more powerfully boost my GPA. But I think that should be fine, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
you need fluffy
there will be no fluffy in med school
if it boosts your gpa, all the better