Is this an efficient way to study for my surgery rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowww

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So here's my situation at the moment: I'm currently on my surgery rotation in medical school and I have to study a big textbook in the next 6 weeks (when my evaluation is scheduled) while I also have to answer questions daily on the wards about anything my tutor wants that day (I can be answering questions about esophagus one day and the next I'm being tested on liver). I've been using anki for a few months and love it, and recently started reading about incremental reading, but I don't want to start using SuperMemo at the moment and I've read the add-on for anki does not work very well. So I came up with a plan that I would like to share and see what you guys think. I was thinking of studying this way:

1 - Skim each chapter looking for relevant information and make flashcards out of that. Highlight that information on the textbook so I know I don't have to read it again in my next passings.

2 - Highlight with a different color information that is irrelevant and that I won't put on Anki and that I don't need to read again in future passings.

And basically I would rotate between chapters until I read and master the entire thing. This would allow me to: read about several topics at the same time, allowing me to build a foundation of several chapters from the beginning of the rotation (which could possibly help in answering daily questions at the hospital) and I would not have to go from the beginning to the end of the chapter in one sitting. With each passing, given that I would ignore the highlighted information, I would have less and less to read in each chapter as time went by.

What do you guys think about this strategy? Have you ever tried doing something like this? Is it worth it to highlight the information so I can ignore it in later readings?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.