Is this an ok reason for bad grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roshe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always been an exceptional student. I had a streak of C's in general chemistry and biology courses my first year of college. No, I didn't have a psycho roommate, live in a party house, or was overwhelmed by family issues/work.

I didn't do well mainly because I didn't know how to approach and study the material and prepare for the exams.

I sought the help from tutors to help me understand the material better. And it helped. By learning from people who excelled in these courses, I developed as a student.

I did well after that because I could now study and prepare for exams on my own. I even showed improvement by retaking a course I got a C- in for an A.

I was wondering if you guys think that is a reasonable explanation for my bad grades?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good to me. It's all about showing a good trend. If you were consistently getting Cs, I'd recommend re-evaluating your plan. Especially if you end up completing a four year degree, your grades from your first year probably won't matter as much (though they do factor into pre-req GPA calculations).

I can pm u more details about my life if u want ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oxymoron much?

Gotta agree. Interesting standards for "exceptional student." An exceptional student who doesn't know how to study? I don't think it's a good excuse. But you can focus on how you improved.

Gotta agree. Interesting standards for "exceptional student." An exceptional student who doesn't know how to study? I don't think it's a good excuse. But you can focus on how you improved.

OP may be tooting his horn a little, but it's possible to not understand the material in a particular set of classes while doing well in others. From there I would even assume they didn't understand how to seek help since it was the first time they had that sort of problem. Then, when the problem was identified and help was sought after, it was too late and the marks were received. However, showing an upward trend definitely helped with the negative aspects of my application. Schools are forgiving about GPA if you can demonstrate solidly that you have learned the pre-reqs and are on the upward path (retaking classes and getting As is a very good start).Good luck.

OP may be tooting his horn a little, but it's possible to not understand the material in a particular set of classes while doing well in others. From there I would even assume they didn't understand how to seek help since it was the first time they had that sort of problem. Then, when the problem was identified and help was sought after, it was too late and the marks were received. However, showing an upward trend definitely helped with the negative aspects of my application. Schools are forgiving about GPA if you can demonstrate solidly that you have learned the pre-reqs and are on the upward path (retaking classes and getting As is a very good start).Good luck.

In my (somewhat harsh) opinion, general chemistry and biology are not exactly difficult for exceptional students. And also, I think an exceptional student knows how to seek help. But what you say is reasonable and certainly possible.

Its a good excuse but the way your explaining it is terrible. Focus more on how you were on your own in college but through determination you sought out help. You never gave up and kept on trying. The result is the huge improvement from a C to an A. Or something along those lines.