Is this clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

send_help

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to take a position as an assistant in the operating room. According to the job description, this means helping prep patients for surgery, holding retractors, and helping turn over rooms. I will definitely be close enough to smell the patient, but I think patients will probably be under anesthesia ~90% of the time I work with them. Can I still count this as clinical? The only thing my app is missing is clinical experience (currently sitting on like 200 hours) so I’m mainly just concerned with getting that knocked out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have the opportunity to take a position as an assistant in the operating room. According to the job description, this means helping prep patients for surgery, holding retractors, and helping turn over rooms. I will definitely be close enough to smell the patient, but I think patients will probably be under anesthesia ~90% of the time I work with them. Can I still count this as clinical? The only thing my app is missing is clinical experience (currently sitting on like 200 hours) so I’m mainly just concerned with getting that knocked out.
This is clinical experience; however, you should also have experience interacting with patients who are awake / not knocked out. So your application will still be lacking in that respect. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with my wise colleague!
I’ve got ab 200 hours at a free clinic where all I did was interact with patients and field complaints, take vitals etc. Is that + the OR job enough do you think?