Is this clinical or non-clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coramDeo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just a quick question:

Is volunteering at a family room in a hospital - a place for families of child patients to kind of take a moment and rest - considered clinical or non-clinical?

TYIA!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are not interacting with current patients, it would not be considered clinical.

Would you say one is more important than the other? Or is it important to have a good balance between both clinical and non-clinical?

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical is more important, but non-clinical is also important because it shows you are altruistic. I think there is also a lot more variety in non-clinical which can set you apart.

Would you say one is more important than the other? Or is it important to have a good balance between both clinical and non-clinical?
To have your application appeal broadly to the most possible schools, having both clinical experience (whether through work or volunteerism) and non medical community service is important.

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't @LizzyM say that she once interviewed someone who volunteered at the surgery waiting room and it was a good experience so even though you're not interacting with patients, it was not a waste of time like when you just stock shelves.

Mais oui, @JeSuisUnDoc.

You are dealing with people who are stressed and dealing with an anxiety producing situation involving a sick or injured loved one. While you may not be dealing with patients, it is a valuable experience that would not go unnoticed by the adcom.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all! @LizzyM @JeSuisUnDoc. I lack some clinical hours compared to non-clinical, so was wondering if I could allot the time here to clinical.