Is this consider research or should I look elsewhere?

Started by bjt223
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bjt223

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am hoping if you can help me out. I am trying to figure out on how to categorize on these experiences for medical school application. The first one is being a research assistant for a project and helps build a database called the ORIEN (Oncology Research Information Exchange Network) Avatar program for a cancer comprehensive hospital. My current role consist of reading pathology reports, shipping and sorting specimens for genomic analysis, and collaborating with doctors and researchers on how to expand projects. Eventually I would have look into building a database with genomic analysis. So my question is, would this consider as a research experience? Or should I look into medically related project for research?
 
I am hoping if you can help me out. I am trying to figure out on how to categorize on these experiences for medical school application. The first one is being a research assistant for a project and helps build a database called the ORIEN (Oncology Research Information Exchange Network) Avatar program for a cancer comprehensive hospital. My current role consist of reading pathology reports, shipping and sorting specimens for genomic analysis, and collaborating with doctors and researchers on how to expand projects. Eventually I would have look into building a database with genomic analysis. So my question is, would this consider as a research experience? Or should I look into medically related project for research?

I wouldnt say lab research but could be clinical research!
 
I am hoping if you can help me out. I am trying to figure out on how to categorize on these experiences for medical school application.

1) The first one is being a research assistant for a project and helps build a database called the ORIEN (Oncology Research Information Exchange Network) Avatar program for a cancer comprehensive hospital. My current role consist of reading pathology reports, shipping and sorting specimens for genomic analysis, and collaborating with doctors and researchers on how to expand projects. Eventually I would have look into building a database with genomic analysis. So my question is, would this consider as a research experience?

2) Or should I look into medically related project for research?
1) Does this project have a hypothesis? What are you trying to prove or disprove? To be considered "research" you need more than just building a database. If you're not sure, ask for a copy of the IRB application or the grant proposal.

2) Hypothesis-based, scholarly research need not be medically-or even science-related to be of value on a med school application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is the equivalent of washing glassware. I know because I read path reports and shipped specimens when I was just starting out. It can be listed as "research" but it is very low level. To get to the next level, you need to have a hypothesis or at least have a goal.
Unlike Catalystik, I do think that database building with information on human genome (or the genome of other species, even) is valuable. It is like writing the language - to- language dictionary before you can begin working on translations.
 
This is the equivalent of washing glassware. I know because I read path reports and shipped specimens when I was just starting out. It can be listed as "research" but it is very low level. To get to the next level, you need to have a hypothesis or at least have a goal.
Unlike Catalystik, I do think that database building with information on human genome (or the genome of other species, even) is valuable. It is like writing the language - to- language dictionary before you can begin working on translations.

Am I better off to find another research project? Am I wasting my time with this one?