Is This Considered Clinical Volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StevieFingaz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently working on my AMCAS information. My father & brother are both firefighters and have given me many opportunities to ride along with the rescue on calls. At the beginning of shifts, the Lieutenant on-call had me organize the rescue truck (go through all compartments, check IV bags, lines, breathing masks, etc). When dealing with patients, I would assist by grabbing any materials needed for the paramedics while they would work on patients so that they could be accessed in a timely manner. I know that this isn't a typical example of clinical volunteering, but I just want to know if I can classify it that way rather than a form of shadowing.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it clinical? You were dealing the people you called "patients" and you were in their close proximity. So, I would call it clinical. You were not paid and you spent time providing services such as stocking "shelves" (similar to what many volunteers do in the ER) so I'd call it volunteer.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it clinical? You were dealing the people you called "patients" and you were in their close proximity. So, I would call it clinical. You were not paid and you spent time providing services such as stocking "shelves" (similar to what many volunteers do in the ER) so I'd call it volunteer.
Thank you!