Is this even possible? Waitlisted last cycle, but acceptance this current cycle without interview?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zenigata

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend interviewed at a MD school in the 2017-2018 amcas cycle. He reapplied for the 2018-2019 cycle to the same school, and he got accepted without having to do another interview.

Does anyone know if this has happened to anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

A friend interviewed at a MD school in the 2017-2018 amcas cycle. He reapplied for the 2018-2019 cycle to the same school, and he got accepted without having to do another interview.

Does anyone know if this has happened to anyone else?
Do you have some sort of clear proof that this is actually the case for your friend or is it purely by his own testimony? I would have a very hard time believing this to be true without solid proof

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have some sort of clear proof that this is actually the case for your friend or is it purely by his own testimony? I would have a very hard time believing this to be true without solid proof
I know for a fact of a DO school doing this, but not an MD.

I heard the new Illinois school is kind of doing this ("showcase" / open house type of thing by invitation, but not a formal interview)

Reactions: 1 users
I actually heard an MD school that accepted someone off the waitlist from a previous year's cycle.

Your friend needs to get some lottery tickets while he's still hot.

Reactions: 9 users
Lol I guess admission from last cycles waitlist is possible then. He is telling people that he is going and he isnt someone to make stuff up.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never heard of it. The way I can conceive of this is that a school overbooked their accepts, and offered admission if they deferred.

Failing that, I have heard of some DO school(s) offers a deferred accept to the alternates that have come in on orientation day. They do this because people drop out in orientation week when they get accepts to other schools. It's like having alternate jurors.

I know all schools are different, but I did have to interview at one school multiple times (having been waitlisted there before) and have heard of others doing so as well. I doubt this would happen but can't say that with any authority.

I’ve only ever heard of this in the few very rare circumstances where the acceptance is some really special circumstances type stuff.

I had a buddy get accepted after Skype interview, but he was in the Middle East flying attack helicopters at the time.