1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is this (generally) true regarding MCAT score?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by GoLAClippers, Mar 2, 2007.

1. GoLAClippers

GoLAClippers Membership Revoked
    Removed

At this pre-med meeting, one of the admissions person from UCSD said that people with any section lower than 8 should retake the MCAT (however, they do give exceptions to ESLs or internationals, under-represented minorities, disadvantaged background, & incredible ECs). Someone that had an overall 33 MCAT but with 8 on PS section asked the admissions lady for her advice, and she said that he should retake the MCAT. She said the school usually prefers someone who has 29 with 9 10 10 than someone with a high score but less than 9 on a section or more. It seems like she was implying this is how it is with most UCs and even other top-tier schools. The guy wasn't pleased with her response, but he is retaking the test in August to raise his PS by one or more. All in all, 30+ might not cut it; even 29 - as long as it is 9, 10, 10 or a smiliar combo- tend to be more favorably looked upon. Man, med school admissions can be cruel!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not as cruel as alot of premed advisors who think they RUN admissions

4. GoLAClippers

GoLAClippers Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hah, but you didn't answer my MAIN question ;)

5. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I would not retake if I scored a 33, even with an 8 in a section.

6. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    I can't speak on admissions at the UCs but I can tell you what is true for one school may not be true for another school. Nor would I assume that that one person may be completely right because the process is slightly objective unless they specifically throw your app out after seeing an 8 in the verbal which I highly doubt they do.

I'd rather take a 33 with an 8 in VR then a 29 with a 9+ in every section.

7. wisguy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I also was advised to retake with a 33 and an 8 on PS. I think it depends where you want to go. Some places it could be considered a red flag. My chem grades weren't that great, so my adviser told me to retake as long as I was confident that PS would increase. I don't know if they ever prefer a 29 to an unbalanced 33, but I could see it them liking a balanced 31 better. Ask on the Adcom thread.