• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

GoLAClippers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
At this pre-med meeting, one of the admissions person from UCSD said that people with any section lower than 8 should retake the MCAT (however, they do give exceptions to ESLs or internationals, under-represented minorities, disadvantaged background, & incredible ECs). Someone that had an overall 33 MCAT but with 8 on PS section asked the admissions lady for her advice, and she said that he should retake the MCAT. She said the school usually prefers someone who has 29 with 9 10 10 than someone with a high score but less than 9 on a section or more. It seems like she was implying this is how it is with most UCs and even other top-tier schools. The guy wasn't pleased with her response, but he is retaking the test in August to raise his PS by one or more. All in all, 30+ might not cut it; even 29 - as long as it is 9, 10, 10 or a smiliar combo- tend to be more favorably looked upon. Man, med school admissions can be cruel!

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
The Edge. Pushing the Envelope
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
At this pre-med meeting, one of the admissions person from UCSD said that people with any section lower than 8 should retake the MCAT (however, they do give exceptions to ESLs or internationals, under-represented minorities, disadvantaged background, & incredible ECs). Someone that had an overall 33 MCAT but with 8 on PS section asked the admissions lady for her advice, and she said that he should retake the MCAT. She said the school usually prefers someone who has 29 with 9 10 10 than someone with a high score but less than 9 on a section or more. It seems like she was implying this is how it is with most UCs and even other top-tier schools. The guy wasn't pleased with her response, but he is retaking the test in August to raise his PS by one or more. All in all, 30+ might not cut it; even 29 - as long as it is 9, 10, 10 or a smiliar combo- tend to be more favorably looked upon. Man, med school admissions can be cruel!

Not as cruel as alot of premed advisors who think they RUN admissions

About the Ads

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
Hah, but you didn't answer my MAIN question ;)

I can't speak on admissions at the UCs but I can tell you what is true for one school may not be true for another school. Nor would I assume that that one person may be completely right because the process is slightly objective unless they specifically throw your app out after seeing an 8 in the verbal which I highly doubt they do.

I'd rather take a 33 with an 8 in VR then a 29 with a 9+ in every section.

wisguy

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2006
WI
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I also was advised to retake with a 33 and an 8 on PS. I think it depends where you want to go. Some places it could be considered a red flag. My chem grades weren't that great, so my adviser told me to retake as long as I was confident that PS would increase. I don't know if they ever prefer a 29 to an unbalanced 33, but I could see it them liking a balanced 31 better. Ask on the Adcom thread.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.