Is this (generally) true regarding MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoLAClippers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this pre-med meeting, one of the admissions person from UCSD said that people with any section lower than 8 should retake the MCAT (however, they do give exceptions to ESLs or internationals, under-represented minorities, disadvantaged background, & incredible ECs). Someone that had an overall 33 MCAT but with 8 on PS section asked the admissions lady for her advice, and she said that he should retake the MCAT. She said the school usually prefers someone who has 29 with 9 10 10 than someone with a high score but less than 9 on a section or more. It seems like she was implying this is how it is with most UCs and even other top-tier schools. The guy wasn't pleased with her response, but he is retaking the test in August to raise his PS by one or more. All in all, 30+ might not cut it; even 29 - as long as it is 9, 10, 10 or a smiliar combo- tend to be more favorably looked upon. Man, med school admissions can be cruel!

Members don't see this ad.

At this pre-med meeting, one of the admissions person from UCSD said that people with any section lower than 8 should retake the MCAT (however, they do give exceptions to ESLs or internationals, under-represented minorities, disadvantaged background, & incredible ECs). Someone that had an overall 33 MCAT but with 8 on PS section asked the admissions lady for her advice, and she said that he should retake the MCAT. She said the school usually prefers someone who has 29 with 9 10 10 than someone with a high score but less than 9 on a section or more. It seems like she was implying this is how it is with most UCs and even other top-tier schools. The guy wasn't pleased with her response, but he is retaking the test in August to raise his PS by one or more. All in all, 30+ might not cut it; even 29 - as long as it is 9, 10, 10 or a smiliar combo- tend to be more favorably looked upon. Man, med school admissions can be cruel!

Not as cruel as alot of premed advisors who think they RUN admissions

I would not retake if I scored a 33, even with an 8 in a section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hah, but you didn't answer my MAIN question ;)

I can't speak on admissions at the UCs but I can tell you what is true for one school may not be true for another school. Nor would I assume that that one person may be completely right because the process is slightly objective unless they specifically throw your app out after seeing an 8 in the verbal which I highly doubt they do.

I'd rather take a 33 with an 8 in VR then a 29 with a 9+ in every section.

I also was advised to retake with a 33 and an 8 on PS. I think it depends where you want to go. Some places it could be considered a red flag. My chem grades weren't that great, so my adviser told me to retake as long as I was confident that PS would increase. I don't know if they ever prefer a 29 to an unbalanced 33, but I could see it them liking a balanced 31 better. Ask on the Adcom thread.