Is this lab blowing me off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm wondering if I am getting blown off by this lab that I work for. I was supposed to do a research project after I spent a couple of months doing dishes, pouring plates, etc... Now I keep asking to help on a project and I keep getting excuses like:

"I don't have anything for you to do right now..."

"let me think about what would be a good project for you and then we'll talk..."

"just keep coming in a pushing me so it forces me to think up something for you to do..."

Is this just typical of how labs work? Or are they trying to send me a message? I have done a good job so far and I'm not a slacker so I don't see why they wouldn't want me to do some work.

Members don't see this ad.

If your school has a medical school attached go to the med school's website and look for mentors for research projects. Between first and second years students do research, usually at the school. Most of the doctors looking to be a mentor for a medical student NEED HELP. Just email a bunch of doctors doing research and a few will ask you to come by.
But get out of that lab. You could do that work at a medical school's tissue culture lab and get paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try clincial research. My PI is so busy with procedures that I end up having more research projects than I can handle. :thumbup:

It could be either...maybe they really don't have anything for you to do, or possibly they really were just looking for a lab maid to clean everything for the grad students...I suggest you look around for someone else who does have current projects. Doing dishes is not good enough research experience and you may be doing it for a while in this lab.

I would hate to walk away because I took a class with the PI and was expecting a good LOR. Is there a way to back out graciously and still get the LOR?

T34 said:
Hi I'm wondering if I am getting blown off by this lab that I work for. I was supposed to do a research project after I spent a couple of months doing dishes, pouring plates, etc... Now I keep asking to help on a project and I keep getting excuses like:

"let me think about what would be a good project for you and then we'll talk..."

"just keep coming in a pushing me so it forces me to think up something for you to do..."

Is this just typical of how labs work? Or are they trying to send me a message? I have done a good job so far and I'm not a slacker so I don't see why they wouldn't want me to do some work.

I’m so sorry—this is a horrible situation to be in. I would definitely start looking at other labs. Talk to the post-docs there, since you’ll probably be working directly with or under them. Who knows, maybe something will catch your interest and you’ll feel better about “backing out” of your current job. No one’s going to blame you for backing out. You’re there to learn, not to wash dishes. I wouldn’t worry about the LOR. You already took his class AND did the scut-work for him. He can always hire another dishwasher if he needs one!

Oh, and if you really just want to stay in the same lab…I would come up with a project myself. I don’t think they’re intentionally blowing you off. Everyone in lab is busy…sometimes that means students like you get neglected. You have to take initiative. Just read up on some review papers on whatever topics your lab is currently studying and write a brief research proposal. It doesn’t have to be completely accurate, but showing that you’re capable and curious will be very attractive to the PI and perhaps he will let you participate in one of his ongoing projects. Hope this helps! I’ve been in your situation before—actually several times—and I know how awful it feels. Good luck!!

If you getting excuses and your not getting paid then you need to find another lab to work at, its complete crap that they have you just washing dishes and making media when its clear your there to learn and see if research is right for you. Realize however that research is an expensive enterprise and the majority of schools provide minimal funding for the facilities and supplies you work with, the rest is grants (you can thank Mr. Bush for the shrinking NIH budget) no matter where you end up you will probably have to do some grunt work in exchange for the opportunity to work on your project (this is especially true if you are an underclassman). Talk to your PI and let him know that your still willing to make plates and media from time to time but without the motivation of an independent or partially-independent project you can't see yourself remaining in the lab much longer because your not learning much of anything. Hopefully he understands, but if he is just after a free dish-washer find some other way to spend that time.

I agree w/other posters about coming up w/your own proposal. It sounds like the grad student responses are about them not having time to come up w/something for you to do.

If you already have a plan, it should be pretty easy to learn tissue culture, etc. from grad students

T34 said:

Definitely look for a new lab -- there are always independent projects an undergrad can do. Now that you have experience with the basic tasks, you can prob get a position in a better lab by showing your dedication/skills/hardwork compared to if you had never worked in a lab before. Good luck.

Em1 said:
I agree w/other posters about coming up w/your own proposal. It sounds like the grad student responses are about them not having time to come up w/something for you to do.

If you already have a plan, it should be pretty easy to learn tissue culture, etc. from grad students

taking initiative will also give great fodder for a LOR. everyone (that i know)is always impressed with a student who takes initiative and cares to learn about what they're doing (not just following directions). honestly, the PI might be so busy (i know, i've worked years with one who is essentially all over the place). it might also help to be politely persistent. read some of the papers related to topics in your lab, talk to the grad students, they're often willing to take on assistants and teach students things (i know i was!). just become familiar with the subject matter and some of the lab protocols and you'll be well on your way. good luck!